Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orthotics Experiences
Quote | Reply
I just received my first pair of custom orthotics from a highly recommended podiatrist. The specific problem I went to see him about was plantar fasciitis. I also over pronate and I've had some pretty bad achilles tendonitis when running more than 30miles/week.

My initial impression is that these will take A LOT of getting used to before I can run in them. They have a lot less cushioning than the insoles I had in the shoes. There is also a lot of support in the arch where I had none before.

What good/bad experiences have you had with orthotics? How hard was it top get used to them?
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics Experiences [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been running/playing rugby in mine for 12 years now. My experiences, other than the odd blister, have been quite good, and it's likely saved my knees. A couple of thoughts, from a sample size of one:

-Orthotics take over the roll of stability in a shoe. If you use them in stability running shoes, it might be over kill. You might want to use them in a cushioning shoe instead, to make up for any cushioning you removed with the insole.

-Even when trimmed down, they take up a fair bit of room in a shoe. You may end up considering a wider shoe.

-You know how your podiastrist may have mentioned to wear them around in your street shoes, to get used to them? It's not necessary. I've never worn them for extended periods of time in street shoes, because just walking around they're uncomfortable. However, I've never had a problem with them in athletic shoes.

They'll only take a few runs to get used to. Build up your mileage slowly, your feet may feel strange for a while, but after a few runs, you'll wonder what you did without them. You may need to look into different running shoes to accomodate them and your new needs (increased width; better cushioning). Also get a recommendation from the podiatrist on what shoes he'd recommend for your problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same impression when I first got my orthos; then I ran 10 miles in them and never looked back. The is more shock absorption in there then you realize...that and the fact that regular insoles don't do all that much for you. Further, the correction in your biomechanics delivered by the orthos will reduce shock.

One piece of advice, tie those things to your willy. Losing orthos is quite easy so make sure you don't let your significant other toss out a "old pair" of running shoes which happen to have your orthos in them. bye bye four hungies. Didn't happen to me but those stories are a dime a dozen.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics Experiences [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got them for the same reasons.

Took me almost 2 months ot fully get used to them. It was very painful at first but in the long run very worth it.

ok for the next part I am not a doctor so .....

Towards the end of the 2 month period I started rolling my feet on a golf ball. The idea is to break up and loosen the foot like a deep tissue massage. Someone giving me a massage after a race said to do it as hard as I could take it for a few mins twice a day. The PF supposedly left scar tissue or running on it after I was injured altered the tissue somewhat and the golf ball was a way to speed up the "fix" the orthotics were performing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have very flat feet, and land on the outside and roll in (is that pronation?).

I have orthotics, from two different docs including the GS Warriors' former podiatrist).

Neither really make much difference in the way my feet/knees, etc., feel, so I actually just run in motion control shoes. I'm going to start working my way down to less support as my miles increase.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my orthotics. I've had them for about 4 years. I have them for running and dress shoes. I try to wear them whenever I can. The first time I trained for a marathon, I did not have them and my feet took a beating. Since I've had them, I have not had any foot related issues. I have really high arches so I love the extra support I get from them. They should last a long time. Mine are still decently cushioned and I've put some heavy miles on them.

You should slowly break them in. My podiatrist just had me wearing them a few hours a day (gradually building up more time) for the first two weeks. Wear them just walking around and slowly incorporate them into your run. When you first run with them, only go for 3 miles and see how you feel.

As an aside, you mentioned plantar fasciitis. I got the first onset of that over the summer. My podiatrist recommend the usual (i.e. rolling bottle under foot, icing) but also recommended the Strassberg Sock. The sock helped tremendously. I no longer was getting shooting pains in my arches and heels. Others in my marathon group have had success with this product as well.

http://thesock.com/

Good luck.
Quote Reply