Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orlando Folks: long ride next Saturday
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Orlando next weekend and I'm going to bring my bike with me. Looking to put in about a 5 hr ride. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll be on the east side. The only route that I know is the Great Floridian course from Clermont but that's quite a haul from where I'm staying.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Orlando Folks: long ride next Saturday [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where on east side? There are several rides that leave from Lakemont elementary in Winter Park at 7:30. The longest is about 65 miles roundtrip. If you ride to and from you might get close to your 5 hours. If not I can route you on how to get your time in.
Quote Reply
Re: Orlando Folks: long ride next Saturday [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info,

I'll be staying close to Waterford Lakes on Alafaya trail. I've never actually ridden from there, the traffic is kinda crazy compared to what I'm used to.

I don't think Winter park is that far away.. are these rides tri-bike friendly?

d
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that is a busy area. It wont be bad early in the morning but coming back at noon you will need to be careful. You may want to use blanchard trail as part of your route. I can hook you up with a basic map. It should take you around 50 minutes to get to ride start.

Rides are tri bike friendly so long as you stay out of the bars while in line. If you want to pull at say 25 - 30 we might let you stay in the bars all morning ; )

Where are you coming from? These roads are very flat!
Quote Reply
Re: Orlando Folks: long ride next Saturday [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coming from Fort Collins, CO so we have a bit of everything here.

I'm getting in late Friday, so I'll have to put my bike together when I get there.

Is it light at 6:30 there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope that you all get a sunburn.......Oh yeah......i hate you.

;-)

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Orlando Folks: long ride next Saturday [Bladed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey man, I'm payin' my dues. I'm riding long tomorrow and the high is supposed to be in the 20s. I can stand that for that for an hour or so, but 4 hours? I deserve a trip to Florida ;) oh and Louisiana the week after... ;p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it will be in the low 40's here in Cold'lanta......BRRRRRR! I may have to do a stupid Spinnerval DVD.....AAACK!

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to drive to Clermont to do your ride. I understand it's relatively far, but it's worth it for such a long ride.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Orlando Folks: long ride next Saturday [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely agree with BottomFeeder. Go out to Clermont, it's probably about a 1 hour drive or less from where you are. Going 417 to 408 or I4 to 408 and head out there. Ride the course, climb Sugarloaf and refill your water bottles, etc. I'm not too familiar with the eastern side except there's lots of hillbillies with pickup trucks out east. Clermont is tons of fun though, and if it's warm out Saturday there will be plenty of other riders out there to say hi to!

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad I am not going to be in town. Or I would ride with you. I am about 20 minutes east of waterford. I am out beach side. Its not too bad riding around here. I have a few loops that are easy to get in a 100 or so with not much traffic. Its all flat though. Head to clermont. Its not too far from where you'll be at. Your looking at about 30-40 minute drive depending on traffic and exactly where you'll be staying.
Quote Reply
Re: Orlando Folks: long ride next Saturday [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I've done in the past when I'm in Orlando. I was hoping for something different this time. The GFT course is a great course, has a little bit of everything..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took my bike down to Orlando with me over Christmas to get in a little warm weather riding. I pulled a few routes of the Florida Freewheelers website. They have a ton of good maps as well as info on lots of regular group rides.

Word of caution - several of the routes in the Lake Mary area send you down Lake Mary Drive. I tried that and got hit by some guy in a Civic who then proceeded to take off. I also got a nice "get the f*&K off the road" while riding a relatively low traffic road around Lake Monroe. I ride all the time in the Cincinati area and have never had any verbal or vehicular assaults.
Quote Reply