Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit
Quote | Reply
Hoping for some insights from the ST collective on this.Getting back into racing again and looking at options for my 2015 Felt IA.

WHEELS:
I know that wheels have gotten progressively wider over the years so I'm looking for tolerance/limitations on these frames. Does anybody have issues running 25mm wheels on these models? I was going to get 25mm wide w/25mm Clinchers & latex tubes (or Tubeless) for race day setup. Will I have any issues??

COCKPIT:
Alternatively, I'm curious about the cockpit setup. Are any risers available to angle the extensions up like I see on many modern bikes? Are there those extensions which wrap around the entire elbow and forearm available to us mortals yet? Speedbar I think was the name I saw on them in recent races.

FRAMESET: 2015 Felt IA 51cm(original model)

Thanks All!!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could measure your frame and fork to see which wheels and tires will fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have precision calipers for this but thanks for the suggestion

------
Last edited by: PushThePace: Sep 6, 21 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could "eyeball" it.
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was comfortable doing that I wouldn’t have posted anything here. The whole point is to get feedback from other users of the bike who have a variety of different setups.

I’ve had far too many problems and water far too much money eyeballing anything with this bike.

Thanks though

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What wheels and tires are you currently using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize you’re trying to be helpful here but you’re ignoring what I’ve asked for in my previous request/post. With all due respect it’s not helpful to take the thread off its purpose.

I am looking for experienced Felt IA owners to provide first hand feedback. I want to hear about their setups. I have given all the context needed with this in mind.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your efforts.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to slowtwitch, where Jim posts useless one liners and the points don't matter.

My wife has a 56cm IA, and I assume tire clearance is the same across those frame sizes. She has HED Jet Black 6/9 wheels which are 25mm wide at the tracks. No issues with clearance there. Because of the 21mm internal of those wheels and thin aluminum hook, tires measure quite large on them. But 25mm (nominal) tires fit without issue. With the smaller design of the latest generation tire (like GP5k vs GP4k) it's possible even 28mm could fit if you back out the vertical drop-out screws a little.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Sep 6, 21 16:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what Felt says about tires:

"IA (rim brake) series. 23’s will work. Also keep in mind you can pull the wheel back a few mm in the horizontal dropout to help frame clearance as long as the brakes still reach and have clearance. The front brake may be the biggest issue if trying to squeeze a 25 in but have seen many 25’s work.

IA (disc brake) series. Up to 28mm".

You can also call Felt at (949) 452-9050.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2018 IA16 and I use 25mm tires on the wider Flo Wheels.

I can get pictures tomorrow for you if you'd like
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks BigBoy really appreciate this. HED disc and Tri-spoke are one of the options I’m looking at. Happy to hear there were no issues with these.

Cheers!

------
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be great if you have the time it would be appreciated. Photos will be a great visual aid.

I do believe the 2018 was a different frame mould. They added bottle bosses and the trunk to that one if I’m not mistaken. Also the front brakes were standard mount not the custom integrated calliper under a two piece faring that the original had.

One of my initial fears is the tires rubbing at the fork crown or the calliper and there isn’t much in the way of adjustment.

I’m also going to check at a local shop to see if they can mount a few wheelsets for first hand experience. I just feel like a dick because I won’t be buying retail wheels from them.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to felt's website, you can fit 25mms. I have a 2019 felt IA1 and it fits 25mm no problem.

You are going to have a hard time finding cockpits that angle up. Felt has a proprietary stem and aero bar set up. If you want to go something different, you can get their dagger stem which allows you to get a new front end. Jim has recommended to me to get the Profile Design Aeria aluminum basebar and extensions, as they allow for tilt of the extensions. That is the most economical, except for the fact that Profile Design isn't making them anymore. You can get around this by ordering a different base bar from profile design or finding one on Ebay, and then adding the EVO bracket kit. This allows you up to 15 degrees tilt. If you tilt the basebar a little, then you can get your ~25 degree+ tilt you are looking for. The bracket kit is compatible with the Profile Design Aeria T2 and T4 Carbon and Aluminum version

If you have a little more money to burn, you can check out TriRig's website. They have a variety of options. And if you want to go the cheapest option to get tilt, you can check out Aerocoach's tilt block adapters, and they have some pricey options too.

I'm sure there are other options out there too. Visiontech has an option here.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fyi, my wife's bike has the rear bottle bosses, but I doubt the frame mold is otherwise different. Let me know if you need any specific pictures.

For cockpit, look at Sync, Revolver, Wattshop, Drag2Zero, and Aerocoach. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. But they all have brackets that can angle your setup and they all have options that hug the forearms. No need to change your stem or basebar.
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll get a custom 3D Printed part and that should solve it. Or from what I saw Speed51 have some nice extensions that angle upward for higher hand positions.

Thanks for the options, appreciate the help.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2016 IA16 captain. Massively upgraded. I run a Tririg cockpit and HED JET Black wheels. Very wide. 23 mm front and 25 mm rear. Easy fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
2016 IA16 captain. Massively upgraded. I run a Tririg cockpit and HED JET Black wheels. Very wide. 23 mm front and 25 mm rear. Easy fit.

If you can find exxxviii’s IA build post, it may answer your questions, I found it invaluable when building my 2018 IA10.

For me: Flo 90/60 with 25m Conti and no problems. Tririg Alpha cockpit with extensions angled up at 15%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2016 IA with a hed jet disc and trispoke

I have 23's installed, and LOADS of room still for 25, you could also move the back wheel slightly out with the dropout adjustment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also gave up years ago and decided to 3d print. Jeroen and several others have used that design (though up be fair, I'm definitely not a company)...just a hobbyist who uploaded some parts to shape ways that happen to be able to fit into the uas front end.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6737693#p6737693

That can thread has the link and also how mine is set up and a photo.

I Run a premier tactical disk, which I shave down some brake pads to fit, and am 880 firecrest. My tire choice changes and I can't remember what's on there now, but I know a couple seasons ago I had a 24 turbo cotton upfront and 26 in the rear. These days I'm rrunning 25 in the rear, can remember 22 or 22 upfront.(gg5000).
My training wheels (an old set of Williams ) are definitely 25 front and back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a 2016 Felt IA 10.

I have 25mm tires and have no issues with clearance.

Regarding the cockpit, I have the TriRig Alpha and I can angle those up fairly well. The Alpha works best on the IA10 and IA16 and there has been issues with it on the IA1. I am not sure of your model.

I hope that helps
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the original Felt IA4 so it has the full integrated front end without the ability to run non-standard base bars and

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want an integrated aerobar setup then AeroCoach Ascalons will fit as we have special adapters for the Felt base bars (I work for AeroCoach). Or a cheaper option is a tilt block adapter which will let you angle both the extensions and arm rests up together, with a bit of added stack (around 25mm for the tilt block which sits between the extension clamp and the base bar). Ascalons are electric gears only but if you did go electric it would tidy things up a bit.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 mm tires always worked for me in GP4000’s. So no problem there.
To get your aerobar tilted you can find special made for the Felt carbon aerobar as on the Felt on shapeways.
I think the guy’s name was david cohen, but its been a while since I ordered them. But they worked well. You can find this andvhim as well in the original Felt IA thread here on the forum.

Jeroen

Edit: here is the link to the angled spacers

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dcohen24

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Sep 7, 21 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Original Felt IA Race Day Setup | Wheels & Cockpit [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ... I don't plan on going electronic as I only use this bike in races. I had it setup with Di2 before but I found it was a huge waste of money having this bike sitting in a corner for all but 12 days a year. This will stay Ultegra 11sp mechanical so any solution will have to work with these perimeters. Otherwise I'll just make do with the setup as is and abandon the idea of enhancing the cockpit.

Do both of these solutions require electronic drivetrains?

------
Quote Reply

Prev Next