Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a matter of UI/UX, I prefer to service my users locally rather than complicate things by sending them to another site.

Ideas: Give the user the "post pic info" at their fingertips right when they might be seeking it most. i.e. an additional link/icon/info button ⓘ to the right of the pic upload icon and the link-builder icon.

FWIW, the two links you posted lead back to the same post. I think you meant to link to the one a bit further down explaining the self hosting?

If i'm not mistaken the past (current?) self hosting was limited to a 50 kb file? What image these days is that small? You seem to suggest that you can work around this.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
As a matter of UI/UX, I prefer to service my users locally rather than complicate things by sending them to another site.

Ideas: Give the user the "post pic info" at their fingertips right when they might be seeking it most. i.e. an additional link/icon/info button ⓘ to the right of the pic upload icon and the link-builder icon.

FWIW, the two links you posted lead back to the same post. I think you meant to link to the one a bit further down explaining the self hosting?

If i'm not mistaken the past (current?) self hosting was limited to a 50 kb file? What image these days is that small? You seem to suggest that you can work around this.

no. not the same post. realbdeal showed a video to a user asking how to post a pic. that video describes a pretty easy way to remote host a video and auto-display it here. i wrote another post, where i acknowledged ben's post, and showed how one could also client side host an image using our own utility, shown in that toolbar in the editor you use to write a post. i believe you can server side host an image also using that tool, but if you can't ben showed the method.

so, i may deliver to you certain opportunities here. i may not. depending on my resources. but i very rarely simply "refuse" to do something you ask.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

no. not the same post. realbdeal showed a video to a user asking how to post a pic. that video describes a pretty easy way to remote host a video and auto-display it here. i wrote another post, where i acknowledged ben's post, and showed how one could also client side host an image using our own utility, shown in that toolbar in the editor you use to write a post. i believe you can server side host an image also using that tool, but if you can't ben showed the method.
Trying to be precise and not pedantic here :) -- I was able to find it but your links in the post are off. "the other" leads here and that post links to here when I believe it should link to here?

Slowman wrote:
so, i may deliver to you certain opportunities here. i may not. depending on my resources. but i very rarely simply "refuse" to do something you ask.
can you expand more about: "i have nothing to do with the file size limit. it's hard coded, and we can certainly rejigger the code if need be, but the decision on that is way past what i get into. what i might do is try to expand the physical size of the image displays in a forum post."

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Trying to be precise and not pedantic here :) -- I was able to find it but your links in the post are off. "the other" leads here and that post links to here when I believe it should link to here?

Slowman wrote:

can you expand more about: "i have nothing to do with the file size limit. it's hard coded, and we can certainly rejigger the code if need be, but the decision on that is way past what i get into. what i might do is try to expand the physical size of the image displays in a forum post."

as to the links, i believe i answered this already. i have no problem with the answer i gave you. about fileweights. i believe there's a certain limit to the file size if you try to upload it onto our site, and have us host the image. i didn't set that file size. but i can change it if i need to. beyond that, if you embed an image on the forum, in a post, it auto-downsizes to a particular size. i don't know. maybe 500px wide. i think we often could accommodate a bigger visual display of the image inside a post. i need to investigate that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 30 degree synthetic bag on an inflatable non-insulated pad and was comfortable each night. if i was choosing between 20 or 40, i'd go 20.
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered as well, along with a couple of other triathletes from Atlanta. Really looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you MarkyV, fredly, and rob-bell. I haven't been camping since mid 90's Boy Scouts and don't know much about gear. I'm sure I'll come up with other questions too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
about fileweights. i believe there's a certain limit to the file size if you try to upload it onto our site, and have us host the image. i didn't set that file size. but i can change it if i need to. beyond that, if you embed an image on the forum, in a post, it auto-downsizes to a particular size. i don't know. maybe 500px wide. i think we often could accommodate a bigger visual display of the image inside a post. i need to investigate that.

Thanks, I believe raising that will curtail the frustration of many who are attempting to post pics.

Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [pzinn1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced last year and it was flippin' awesome start to finish.

Use this thread or start another to ask any of us who did year 1 a litany of questions.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would anybody happen to have a ride file or strava link to some of the stages from last year? I'm signed up for 2020 and am trying to get an idea of what I've gotten myself into. Also.....a question for the speed round.....which do you choose for a handy rider, Surly Cross Check or Specialized Epic Hardtail? Thanks guys :)
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you taking an extra set of wheels?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me? no I'm going with a single set of wheels FWIW
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
are you taking an extra set of wheels?

Bring them. There was more than one person making the rounds trying to borrow a wheel mid-race last year. Once you hand off your wheels to the support crew, you won't even have to look at them again unless you need them, they pretty much stay in a dedicated truck the whole race.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring extra wheels, OK got it, thanks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You planning on heading to Bend in August?

Day 1-3 2019 course are very similar to day 1-3 2020 course. Day 4 and 5 are quite a bit different.

Day 1: https://www.strava.com/activities/2464764303

Day 2: https://www.strava.com/activities/2468436759

Day 3: https://www.strava.com/activities/2469732540

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Would anybody happen to have a ride file or strava link to some of the stages from last year? I'm signed up for 2020 and am trying to get an idea of what I've gotten myself into. Also.....a question for the speed round.....which do you choose for a handy rider, Surly Cross Check or Specialized Epic Hardtail? Thanks guys :)

Day 1 has some knarl and a lot of sand, like 4-6 miles of a beach (Santiam wagon road). I wouldn't go any less than 40mm, and the some of the fastest guys were running more like 50s.

So I don't think a light hard tail is going to penalize you in this race, it could easily be worth 10-15 minutes on day 1. None of the other stages were as tough in terms of surface conditions. But 350 miles is a lot, so having a little plush isn't a bad thing over 5 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i rode my hardtail w/ 2.0 29er tires and it was Great!

a ton of the fastest guys were on hardtails or gravel bikes w/ 650b 2.0+ tires. There were only two days Im sure I wouldve been faster on a gravel bike w/ 40s~, the other three I was faster on my mtb bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Day 1-3 2019 course are very similar to day 1-3 2020 course. Day 4 and 5 are quite a bit different.

Day 1: https://www.strava.com/activities/2464764303

Day 2: https://www.strava.com/activities/2468436759

Day 3: https://www.strava.com/activities/2469732540

Awesome, thank you Sir!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you guys got the email so....thanks again and more 1st timer questions in a few months :) Looking forward to it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm re-igniting this thread as me and a buddy were lucky enough to get into the OGG for 2021.

Any more advice than the following for this event/ordeal?
1. synthetic sleeping bag rated <20 degrees
2. inflatable sleeping pad
3. extra set of wheels

I'm curious about the advice "40mm tires, minimum, depending on experience". What does that mean - or - what size tire is best? Also, any need for spare derailleur(s), chains, etc.? Lights needed?

Thanks a ton.
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seems like such a cool event. I really hope I can get fit enough to do the short version one day.

I dont know the particulars, but is it going to happen this year with all that is going on? What are the odds? I think we have one of the RD's here, maybe an update for everyone thinking about this awesome event.
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
I'm re-igniting this thread as me and a buddy were lucky enough to get into the OGG for 2021.

Any more advice than the following for this event/ordeal?
1. synthetic sleeping bag rated <20 degrees
2. inflatable sleeping pad
3. extra set of wheels

I'm curious about the advice "40mm tires, minimum, depending on experience". What does that mean - or - what size tire is best? Also, any need for spare derailleur(s), chains, etc.? Lights needed?

Thanks a ton.

I had a 30 degree bag and was fine. I chose to pay and used their tents. If i went again i would take my own tent. If you have your own tent you have more freedom of where you set up (like closer to a stream, or in the shade on a hot day, or close to other friends that are there). Decent backpacking tents can be set up in just a couple minutes and won't take up much room at all in your bin. (they give each rider a bin to fill and they take it from campsite to campsite each day).

Regarding tires, 40mm min is a good suggestion. My bike i had to race that year only allowed 38s. Some of the wagon roads have big rocks and a big tire would be nice. Most of the top guys were on tires bigger than 40s. There was a guy on a hardtail MTB that was doing well reach day. I was envious of him on most of the wagon roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder Stage Race [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
This seems like such a cool event. I really hope I can get fit enough to do the short version one day.

I dont know the particulars, but is it going to happen this year with all that is going on? What are the odds? I think we have one of the RD's here, maybe an update for everyone thinking about this awesome event.

Chad is saying it is happening, but there are only 30 spots open (most of field is already filled with rollovers from last year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:

Regarding tires, 40mm min is a good suggestion. My bike i had to race that year only allowed 38s. Some of the wagon roads have big rocks and a big tire would be nice. Most of the top guys were on tires bigger than 40s. There was a guy on a hardtail MTB that was doing well reach day. I was envious of him on most of the wagon roads.

Carl Decker (race winner) told me he ran 50 mm tires on day one, which has the roughest stretch of the race (8-10 miles on the Santiam wagon road). It was interesting to look at the Strava segment for that section of the race and seeing how much time was gained or lost (mostly on the worst 1-2 miles). I raced 42 mm tires on all stages and would not go any smaller if I race there again.

A true race hardtail (e.g. like 23 lb bike) would not be a bad choice for this race. There is very little pavement and to the extent there is, it was on neutralized (untimed) segments at the start and finish of each stage, so in terms of what is raced it is 90-95% gravel) and there is a lot of climbing and descending and much time can be gained on being comfortable really bombing the descents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bumping this since it starts next week. Anybody else besides fastskiguy and I headed out? I'm pretty excited for my first group event in some time (with sweet Pfizer vaccine pumping through me for the last couple months).
Quote Reply

Prev Next