Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Opinions on Bend, OR
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend has bought a home in Bend 'cos of inability to afford California and I may relocate with her.

I've heard that it has a lot to offer and is an outdoorsy place.

Anyone got any input on triathlon related activity, cost of living, weather etc.?

Is it cosmopolitan or redneck?

Colin
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Bend, OR [colinf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only been to Oregon once and was under the impression that the state is more hippy 70's style alternative culture than redneck and Bend is the epicenter.

Always thought Oregon was a place that I could live in.

Of course my impression was from a number of years ago, so I'm sure you can get a more updated perspective from other St'ers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice place. I think Steve Larsen lives there now. The roads are set up with a bike lanes. I hope you like to drink really good micro-pub brew.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Bend, OR [mclark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah Steve L. lives there and a few pros trained there this summer and thought it was a great training area. Kerry Classen lives there I believe. Maybe he'll chime in.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved here to Bend two years ago and lovin' it. Pacific Crest Triathlon + several other top notch events take place here in Central Oregon as well. XC skiing in the winter is great.

Re: pros - if you like to try and hang - just check out the Hutch's noon rides come springtime... Chris Horner, Steve Larsen, Conrad Stoltz, Chris McCormack, and Kerry Classen were regulars this season - but I think Macca's out for this year. Word has it that Lovato moved here and Craig Walton is in town - but only speculation.

Bottom line - I move here for a better live... and love waking up every morning here - and is always great to come back here after being away. Hope this is what you were looking to hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome place, very popular with pro athletes - Chris McCormack spends the Summer there, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear great things about the development of the tri community. Several pro athletes from various sport are living and training in Bend.

The cost of living is probably relative to where you are coming from. I've heard jobs can be difficult.

The weather is great in the summer. However, winters can be pretty brutal if you don't like snow.

If you can get a good paying job and like the outdoors move there!

Enjoy the journey!
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Bend, OR [TRI4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your replies.

I could probably keep up with Larsen et al. drinking micro brews but that's about it.

Colin

Bollocks....I'm knackered - Eammon
Quote Reply