Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Open Water Training Mishap
Quote | Reply
It seems my tri-related posts lately have all been stories of doom or disaster or idiocy. I have been able to find humor in some of my other training mishaps, but not this one.

The tri group I joined here held a open water swim clinic this morning run by none other than Nicole DeBoom. I had been psyched about this event since I first heard about it a few weeks ago. So at 8:30 this morning, I and about 45 others were at the Chatfield gravel pit suited up and ready to go. I wore my QR full body wetsuit, which I've worn for three years with no problems whatsoever. After about 20 minutes of general tips, it was into the water. Swimming has never been a problem for me. I swam competitively as a kid and although I was slow, among tri folks, I certainly can hold my own and my pool workouts have been going fine. So it was much to my surprise and dismay that as we began to cross the pond (probably no more than 150-200 meters), I started to hyperventilate. I couldn't seem to shake it and had to finish by breast stroking my way across. Another little talk and we swam another 100-150 meters along the shore line. No problems. Nicole then demonstrates proper sighting technique and we're off, back across the pond. This time, I'm hyperventilating worse than before. I turn over on my back, but don't feel at all soothed. I start again with the breast stroke, and the beach seems miles away. I couldn't even tolerate goggles on my face and raised them up. The pond is way too small for any kind of current, but I feel like I'm swimming against one. I was awfully close to panicking and kept thinking about how it would suck to drown. I do finally make it to the beach and decide to bag it for the day, humiliated and depressed.

I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I may have put my wetsuit on a little off, which could have made it seem tighter than usual. The water was quite cold (65-66 degrees) and probably colder in the middle; but, I swam the Ann Arbor tri for the past three years and that cold water never gave me any problems. I didn't eat breakfast. I haven't been drinking enough water lately and have been dehydrated (can that affect a swim???). I woke up this morning three pounds heavier than yesterday; when I got back from the clinic this morning, I'd lost two pounds -- is something out of wack with my body? Did I get creeped out by the deep water? Other than the initial minute or two of an open water swim, it's never happened to me before and, frankly, a psychological cause for today's disaster is my worst fear as it could affect my ability to race. Could the altitude still be a factor?

I'm hoping this is a one-off event. I plan to be back in that gravel pond as soon as possible.
Last edited by: AmyCO: May 28, 05 15:49
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Training Mishap [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snip I didn't eat breakfast. I haven't been drinking enough water lately and have been dehydrated (can that affect a swim???). snip

Damn right this could affect ANY exercise you do. You do need to get back on the horse as soon (in my opinion) as possible however ensure you are well hydrated and fed and CRITITCALLY, I repeat CRITICALLY DO NOT DO IT ALONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has happened to me twice before, both times in a race, the last time occurring at Half-Vineman in August...very strange, bizarre feeling. Perhaps 200 meters in and I feel like I can't breathe. I do the same thing, roll on my back and just try to relax...feel okay, then start swimming again and experience the same thing. Now I stop in a very shallow area (the Russian River can be extremely shallow in places) and stand up for a minute, watching my AG wave pull ahead of me...I'm thinking "jesus, am I going to have to DNF in the first 5 minutes???"

Finally, I relax and start swimming, counting strokes this time to take my mind off the compressed-chest feeling, and no more episodes for the rest of what turned out to be a very long 1.2.

I feel your pain and don't really know what to attribute it to...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That has happened to me, but I am a new swimmer. I attribute it, in all cases, to going out too hard, even a little too hard. For me, when it hits, I just try to swim as slowly as I can, I make sure I fully exhale and get a good breath, and if that means rolling on my side for an extra second, so be it. It did not happen at IMFL, it did happen at IMAZ. Once I looked for the kayaks, but they were helping someone who was in distress. The other time was ocean, no wet suit, and it was just a quarter mile flat out swim. My training partner showed up, but decided not to swim, so I went alone. I felt like I could not make it back against the undertow on the way in and I actually yelled for help. By the time my partner got there, I was already to where I could stand.

The good thing is, it happened and you got through it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's not uncommon... I've heard that cold water, tight wetsuits and opaque water can each trigger that response... but I don't know enough to tell you why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Amy

Just relax. Anyone who doesn't freak out a little every once in a while in open water is crazy. You handled it, kept calm and even kept moving so don't worry about it. Was it one of those gravel pits with high sides all around? The few times I have swam in a true gravel pit is freaked me out. It starts to look like there is no way out. Kind of like being walled in by boxes of documents ;-)

Also - 65 is COLD. That lake the AA tri is in was about 74 last year. Every degree makes a difference once the water is below 70.

You can always come back to MI where we have real lakes to swim in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paiging Dr. Stern, Dr. Doug Stern...

Quote | Reply
That's happened to me 3 times. In all instances I was wearing a wetsuit that fit me too snuggly.

The last time was at the 2003 Age Group Nationals. I ended up taking off my wetsuit in the middle of the swim and left it was some race vols in a boat. I never got it back and that's more than fine with me. I don't believe I'll ever race with a wetsuit again.

I'm lucky in that I live in Texas where wetsuits are not needed as much and often are not legal.

I don't know if that was your problem but it could be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to me once really bad like that as well, Xterra Big Bear last year, I hated how my wetsuit fit and always felt like I was suffocating. Low visibility in the water but temp was probably 70 or so. Freaked out 150m or so in, kept trying to keep going after a break, finally realized I was going to DNF, hell DNS practically after flying all the way from Hawaii, so I took the top of the suit off (Desoto), stuffed it down my bib-john and got going. I was the 2nd to last one around the first bouy and swam a personal worst 31min, plus I had to go back for the suit top as it kept falling out.

Never really figured out what the problem was other than the suit not fitting me well. I bought a new suit, spent whatever it took considering that the wetsuit basically ruined my race. Love my new QR superfull and never have that hyperventilating feeling anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
65 degrees is a lot colder than the pleasant 72 at the Ann Arbor Tri last year so that could be a factor.

An unusual pool, let alone a new open water situation, can make life difficult. In HS, I raced a 500 in a lane where the bottom on one side of the lane line was level, but other side started to slope quickly where the diving boards were. Completely disorienting and not my best preformance ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2001, in my second triathlon, I was hyperventilating severely after 200 m. Got to a buoy and called frantically for the boat. He didn't see me, and I recovered enough to finish a very scary swim. Tri #3 I made it maybe 50 m, got to a boat, recovered a little, took off, made it another 50, had to return to the boat - DNF in my hometown tri that I had been so looking forward to. Cold water and no warm-up (duh!)were definitely contributory in this case, as my pulse was jacked up from the start. As a way below-average swimmer, fear of open water has always been a very real issue for me. I've since completed perhaps 25 tri's with open water swims, including 2 IM's. Personally, I view a wetsuit as an anti-drown device. You could drown in one, I know, but it would be tough with the flotation they offer. The two incidents above both occurred without a wetsuit.

I am not qualified to offer an opinion as to what caused your troubles with this particular swim, but it sounds like a fluke. I expect you'll be fine with your swim experience and attitude.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is a sensory overload that goes with the start of a tri swim or even a practice session like you were doing. It brings on a bit of panic, which then manifests itself in weird symptoms that make you panic all the more. Knowing that this will happen and being ready with some well rehearsed relaxation techniques will help to get you through the moment. Get back in there with a partner of two and work throug it.

Quote | Reply
For a pool swimmer, swimming in cold, dark water is scary. Don't give up on it though, because that is what the conditions in many tris are. Concentrate on EXHALING properly, long, slow, cleansing exhalations--that is one thing that might help with the constricted "I CAN'T BREATHE!!" feeling. Another issue--the mammalian diving response we all have is triggered by cold water on the face. It will naturally slow your breathing and heart rate down. Perhaps you were trying to force a breath when you didn't need to?
Quote Reply