Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones?
Quote | Reply
This is for Half IM situations with 1000-2000' gains.

My head unit doesnt display power but my 735XT does. I was hoping that the watch would be able to broadcast it to my Edge 25 but unfortunately that doesnt work. I dont want to fork out more cash for a new device just yet.

So, during training and racing I have to glance down at the watch in aero which doesnt sound that hard but its a little trickier than anticipated. I decided that only 2 metrics can reliably be looked at at any given time because the font is to small to glance at.

Avg power?
NP?
3 sec avg?

Then theres HR...I feel like I will toggle thru that when I adjust positions as needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest 3 second average and your current TSS. Work out what your TSS for the ride should be to avoid under / over performing and push that wattage during the race.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go with 3 sec average and heart rate if I could only have two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1: Turn on Bike 2, Bike 3, etc
Step 2: Turn on Autoscroll

Have as many data fields as you want.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill try that but my initial thought is that if I miss the metric I will have to wait for it to circle back, then miss it again lol.
...but who knows Ill check into it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be easier to bodge a mount for your watch on your handlebars? Something with 2" PVC tubing and zipties maybe?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with 3 second power and average power. 3 second power will tell me what my body is being exposed to now average power will tell me how well I am meteri g out my stored energy from glycogen and fat in the sense that for most courses I already know my target kilo joules by the end of the ride, so quarter and half and 3/4 the way through just by looking at my average power I know if I am on track or not...and if my AP really drops in the second half I know what I am in for during the run. Also I prefer AP as it related to real physics and what my aeroness is on that day and how well I am holding my tuck for a given average speed. NP is an Inference about physiological loading but can be off related to actually moving you down the road. AP measure joules divided by seconds of riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Av Speed
2) Current speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3s power
Lap NP with autolap set at every 10k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3s power, and avg np power. Those are the only 2 factors you have control over. Nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total time. So you dont have to count laps.
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [Heyhosilver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
3s power

This is probably what I'd do. you could also set some alerts for HR and not display the number, just flash a warning if you get too high. Or just have those metrics on the watch and HR on the edge if possible.

I had an issue with my head unit I my last race. Kept going to sleep and I didn't want to fiddle with taking that setting off during the race. Flipped my watch under my wrist and could see the numbers with little effort in aero. Sucked when climbing though as I couldn't see how many matches I was in fact burning.
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest,
Did you mean avg power or NP for the second metric? or All 3?
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [Heyhosilver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heyhosilver wrote:
3s power

Pretty close to what I have as two of the metrics on my garmin 810

If I was putting two metrics on my watch I'd have:
3s Power
Lap AP (auto lapping every 5 miles) but that's really a matter of personal preference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I don't think it matters. It just depends on what you're going off of. If it's a hilly course, then have a NP in mind & garmin view window and try to target that. if it's a flat course I'd use average power instead.

But Initially i meant avg NP for the entire ride for the 2nd window, assuming it's a rolling hills course.
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Most of my hardest races, Oly and HIM will have 1500-2000' gain...so I guess NP it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d go 3 sec power then Lap NP and lap every 10 miles or so.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heyhosilver wrote:
3s power

x2 to this, if I only had 2 data fields to display, these would be the ones I would go with.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dah5609 wrote:
1) Av Speed
2) Current speed
Nice troll post.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why any, just race

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has a tool to help with long course pacing and wants to use it as best he can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
Yep. Most of my hardest races, Oly and HIM will have 1500-2000' gain...so I guess NP it is.

It really depends on the length of the climbs. If the climbs are anything longer than 1K the average power will tell the tale. You'll just setting into a sustainable power and not be able to spike it. If the climbs are short then sure. Realistically if you know your FTP you already know what you can sustain early in a climb depending on race (IM vs half vs Olympic). If you know there is a downhill recovery right after the climb, it is worthwhile spiking the power a bit, to get up to speed for the descent and then get into a tuck quickly at zero watts. I see people ISO powering the top of the climb and then pedaling like madmen on the downhill just pushing a ton of wind at 70 kph when you can go 70 kph at zero watts and recover after opening up a gap on the top of the climb and getting up to terminal velocity earlier.
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds Good. Im gonna check out that NP with 10K lap in upcoming training.
Quote Reply
Re: Only 2 power metrics to display during HIM...which ones? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re feeding.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a Garmin 500 for $100. You can probably afford that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next