Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Online retailers we like
Quote | Reply
Having read many stories about those have been burnt by online retailers, I thought it high time to give props (looks at me, all urban-slang like) to those who go above and beyond the call of duty. It's important because with the age of the internet, word of mouth is incredibly powerful --- look at how many of us shop at Bikesport, or own Cervelos (for good reason, I might add --I know I'm "guilty" of both). I'm in advertising, and I'm always amazed at how businesses fail to grasp a simple concept -- it takes approximately 8 times more resources to win a new customer than to retain an old one. And if you retain that old one, you also reap the word-of-mouth publicity, which is gold.

Non--tri related case in point: I used to work with Lexus (the car company), and one of the examples they cited was a dealer in California. Woman comes in from an area the dealer doesn't usually deal with, and buys the LX 470 (top of the line SUV, roughly $67,000). Few weeks later she comes back, and admits she hates the colour. What can she do? Well, the dealer has a few choices:
1. Tell her to suck it up, she bought it, she has to live with it.
2. Find a way for her to sell it back to the dealer, and buy a new one (major loss for her).
3. Dealer paints it for her (expensive as well, and will never be as good as the original paint job).
Dealer chooses option 4, he takes the vehicle back and gives her the colour of her choice, at no loss to her, and doesn't charge her a thing. Straight up trade. Short term: he sucks up a significant loss, as he now has to sell the vehicle as a demo. Long term: within a year, he has more than a dozen new clients from this area he hasn't dealt with much, due to the woman's word of mouth. Vert, very smart.

Anyways, here are some great online retailers I've dealt with of late:

-Vitruvian Shoes - Chuck (www.vitruvianrunning.com)
Spent half an hour with Chuck on the phone sorting out the right shoe for me. Incredibly personable guy, great conversationalist, and a good sense of humour. He even sent the shoes to my non-home address (as I was vacationing in the US, and I could avoid duties). Turns out the shoes didn't work out for me, through no fault of the shoes. Spoke to Chuck, sent the shoes back, and he refunded my money. Keep in mind, I had run 10K in them. Never even an issue, and no questions asked.

-Al's Gift Shoppe (www.alsgiftshoppe.com)
In January, I bought a Timex S&D from Chuck. His price was so much cheaper, I was able to get the data recorder along with the system, for less money than I would have paid locally for the S&D system alone. The system, alas, has been a total headache -- I've gone through three chest straps and three data recorders, as nothing seems to want to co-operate. Al has been a star about it, as he's always sent me new product quickly, never charging me a dime -- and always before I've sent product back to him. When the HR strap died the day before IMC (luckily, I had mutual friends with the Timex rep. there, so he leant me his chest strap), I was about to burn the bloody thing. Al sent me an ENTIRE new system, which (knock wood) actually works. Al's the man.

-Road ID (www.roadid.com)
Got a call from them this morning, as apparently my ID got "returned to sender". Turns out that as a result of my idicoy, I had had it sent to our office's old location. They assured me it'd be resent today to me. The kicker to all this? I got the Road ID with a coupon for a free one from a website. They're making nothing on me, yet they're upholding this level of customer service. Impressive.

So, who are your favourite online retailers? Let's send business to retailers that deserve our money.
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm biased because I am an online retailer (though in the sport of bodyboarding). I can tell you as a retailer on the net that yes, we do "suck up" a significant loss on some customers/orders to keep the customer happy, and it nearly ALWAYS results in both positive word-of-mouth (in the bodyboarding forums online and elsewhere) along with new customers who have heard how we take care of customers. short term loss for long term gain is a reality in the online shopping world!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would give the highest marks to Trisports.com. Debbie and Nik have gone the extra mile each time I have had a special order or need in an order. They also give a slowtwitch discount. I believe Dan wrote an article about the top Tri-online retailers...here it is: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ml&text=trisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trisports.com.

Debbie called me once to tell me that it would cost much less to ship my item than what the website inserted in my invoice if I did not mind it going out USPS rather than UPS Ground. Instead of 5 bucks it was like a dollar. I did not mind.

And Cervelo. I had a problem with my shorts and Heather sent me out a new pair even before I returned the others and she included a free Frazz T-shirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth...if you need a body-board or fins, I would recommend TriBodyBoarders site as I ordered some items from him and they came boxed safely and very quickly, good quality as well.
Last edited by: The Lemming: Oct 31, 05 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good mention about Heather. I was recently looking for a piece of clothing that Cervelo does not make anymore (almost two years old) but she found one and had it shipped off immediately. Great customer service which should really be no surprise from Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
www.bikesmart.com

I ordered a couple of Cateye computers from them a year ago and when I was attaching them to the bikes I found that a bracket for one of the cadence sensors was missing. I called them up and the very next day fedex were at my door with a new computor, 2 Bikesmart water bottles and a coupon for 25% off my next purchase.

Pretty darn good service.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Lemming!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trisports.com gets a lot of my internet tri-business. Ground shipping is only a couple of days, and it always goes out within 24hrs.

drugstore.com is where I buy my vitamins. Convenient and easy to get what I want, instead of driving all over town looking for Zinc Magnesium Asparate.

Cranksports.com gives me points and discounts everytime I order E-Gel or E-Fuel. Again, free shipping to my front door in one business day.

*Your Mama*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trisports.com

Never had a bad transaction with these folks and they are very, very helpful. They always have a doscount for ST'rs.

***** (5 stars)

Quote | Reply
www.trisports.com

I've had to return something because it didn't fit me, and Alicia was awesome! :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me guess it was too big!!! Did you ask her for her number?

*Your Mama*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like www.tri-zone.com (great service) and www.holabirdsports.com (great prices on running shoes). I use many others but those two are at the top of my list.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I was looking to order a Cervelo P3C, having been a member of this site for a while I'd seen a bit of negativity aimed at Trizilla, undettered I called them, and all I can say is they have been excellent, so much so that I have also bought another bike and numerous other bits of kit from them, they have always been helpful, given good deals and upgraded a few bits.

The negativty was all about the female model they use to model bikes etcand their Hummer , look past that and you have a very efficient, friendly store, I only wish I lived closer.

Nimbleblade

I dont work for Trizilla, am not paid by them, I now class them as my local bike store give or take a few thousand kilometres, have a look www.trizilla.com

Trizilla...My local bike shop a few thousand Ks away

Speed Hurts ...How fast do you want to go
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [Milan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually I ordered some XS shorts and they were too small!

And no, I don't think Alicia is a pro triathlete, and marrying a pro triathlete is part of my plan to rule the (coaching) world! ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are superb to deal with - in fact when shopping on line I don't go anywhere else..

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the TriSports.com mention. I really appreciate good service and have found them to be excellent.

I once ordered a bunch of stuff for myself and my friends. One of the things ordered was a 56 service container of accelerade. When it came, the box was kicked in and the large container of accelerade was open. It most likely was damaged in transit (after it left trisports). When i called to ask what they could do, they shipped me another one without any hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.rei.com

The brick and mortar store is dangerous... I can't leave without buying something.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [altitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah,

www.totalcycling.com

for no other reason than they're cheaper than any place on the planet.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
victoriassecret.com always ships quickly, has a good user interface and frequent on-line sales. they are very good- a model for e-commerce.

altrec.com is also excellent, as is B&H photo.

zappos.com is the best place to buy shoes period- internet or not. ultra-fast shipping, easy return protocol (I've never had to return anything though...) and a mind boggling selection with easy navigation make them a joy to deal with.

roadrunnersports.com is stellar too.

chponline.com (Creative Health Products) is the reason we no longer sell heart rate monitors in any appreciable numbers. they are the best source for Polar (and other) brand heart rate monitors. Fast shipping, knowledgable and helpful. A Polar certified warranty center.

wickedweasel.com is a cottage industry, Australian bikini maker that hand makes, in their factory, fashion-oriented swimsuits. They are friendly, fun to work with, ship fast and love to be of service.

That is my list of all-stars.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta throw DeSoto on the list... I'm sure many others will agree.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
www.rei.com

The brick and mortar store is dangerous... I can't leave without buying something.

I went into REI a few months ago to get a new rear derailleur hanger after I bent the old one in a crash. The wrench wasn't sure if the one they had in stock would fit so he popped my bike into his stand and replaced the bent one, and spent 15 minutes getting my shifting adjusted properly....turns out the derailleur itself is a little dinged too and it needed some extra work.

Price...$6.50 for the hanger.

REI is now my LBS of choice even though there are 2 competing bike shops within 100 yards of my front door.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Online retailers we like [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. DeSoto's on line service for consumers and their dealer service are both the industry standard. Excellent.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peet's coffe is cool and yummy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had great online experiences with Colorado Cyclist and also Nytro online.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next