Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Online Coaching... Any suggestions??
Quote | Reply
I would like to find a coach to help me this tri season. I am going for my first Half IM and I want to train properly. I would love to have a coach that I can actually train with but I have no idea where to find that. Online coaching seems to be a satsfactory way to get some individualized help.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Is there an online service that anyone specifically recommends?

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Re: Online Coaching... Any suggestions?? [lonestar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try azcoaching.com, Deeann is a great coach.

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have used (and am still using) erik cagnina from d3 multisports. he is very knowledgeable about triathlons and puts his athletes in the best position for success. you can read his bios at www.d3multisport.com

good luck with your season...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lonestar...

Texas has a ton of awesome triathletes. If you want to train with someone look in your immediate 50 mileish radius for a tri team and ask from there - I can think of lonestar randoneurs off the bat - Dan and Diane will get your butt in bike shape! I personally go out to Texas to do some riding in their wind/heat/hills. I have TX envy :-) and hope to be out there again in October.

As for on-line..I have succesfully used Randy Bernard and Sonny Dyer (sp?) from trimycoach.com Sonny got me through my first (and fastest) IM and Randy got me to see the finish line of an event I tried at 3xs prior to get right, and I wouldn't think twice about hiring them again, they would be my first phone call. Obviously their training plans worked for me..but finding a coach is an individual thing. If you go with trimycoach, tell them I sent you so that you can get the same abuse, its only fair.

There are a ton of coaches out there, from what I have read there are a ton on here (smartasscoach I would hire just because of his name :-) --I need that kind of attitude to slap me in shape). Try one one season, and if you need to switch the next so be it.

--in regards to on-line, if you don't do the workouts they structure for you, it is wasted money, just like those that sign up for a gym membership and never go, so make sure you are ready to work and get the most out of the service. Another thing to consider, instead of a complete detailed workout, what about spending the money on a tricamp? You can get a killer workout and any of your various questions answered at the same time.

Good luck with the half, it is one of my favorite distances!
Quote Reply
Re: Online Coaching... Any suggestions?? [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch's own Mike Plumb:

http://www.tripower.org/

b-

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I just squandered" -George Best
Quote Reply
Re: Online Coaching... Any suggestions?? [Berti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came from a USCF bike racing background. In my first year, I had a 4:43 HIM PR. I owe this all to my coach Bill Nehr at www.bntcoaching.com. If you are serious about mainting a life ( I have a 2 year old and a difficult law practice) and achieving your best, do yourself a favor and seek him out ASAP. You won't regret it.

Good Luck at the HIM.

Seamus

Guiness only has 120 calories. I'll have 6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just logged on to recommend Mike Plumb, and I see that someone already has. He's great.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would personally go with Marty Gaal in Orlando. He really puts a lot of passion into his coaching and knows a great deal about the sport. I would train everyday with the guy if I could as I learn so much from being around the guy when we are training and talking. Very caring to his athletes and a very cool guy.

marty@osbmultisport.com or marty@martygaal.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking at online coaching it doesn't matter where in the world that coach may be right? Take a look at Grant Giles (www.aeromaxteam.com). Grant is a 6 time top 10 finisher at IM Oz so he knows his stuff. I've been with him for about 20 months. Haven't raced that much but he got me to a 4:30 HI and 9:55 IM debut with less than 3 years in the sport. He also has plenty of guys in the stable capable of very low 9's. Worth a look and his rates are pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know some athletes that are coached by desert dude. It didn't take them long to outperform all of their training buds. He used to be my coach, that is until babies and school became the priority. I will start back up once I graduate this spring.
Last edited by: justtriin: Feb 23, 05 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm extremely pleased with my coach... :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always try to become a Smartasscoach crew member!! :P

You can find him here or at:
http://sergiomarques.home.sapo.pt/...ach/english/main.htm

Technique sets the upper limit to where your fitness will take you...
Quote Reply
Re: Online Coaching... Any suggestions?? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just when I'm trying to stay away from Slowtwitch, the smartassgroupies get to work... man... :-p

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Online Coaching... Any suggestions?? [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second that. I've been working with Marty Gaal since the beginning of the year and it has been great. His programs are easy to follow and COMPLETELY customized to your time constraints and goals. Plus, he's a good guy on a personal level but is not afraid to tell it like it is. You don't pay a coach to be your friend and Marty has the ability to tell you what you need to be doing (or not doing) without being a jerk.

and not for nothing...the man has the results and the hardware to back up his philosophy and opinions.

His Website: www.osbmultisport.com
Last edited by: scm910: Feb 23, 05 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been working with Michael McCormack www.triathloncoach.com and highly recommend him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've worked with don fink (donfink.com) who's very good. i would also recommend at least looking at marc becker at ironguides. marc posts here sometimes and knows his shit (http://www.ironguides.net/)
Quote Reply
Re: Online Coaching... Any suggestions?? [sedi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also recommend SAC.

Or, my coach. http://www.scottmolina.com/home.htm

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend PTS www.performancetrainingsystems.com. I haven't been coached by Patrick, but I have a few friends that have been working with him for a while and love it. He's got a great passion for the sport and various types of coaching plans...

Also recommend KP, www.coachkp.com, he has a strong background on nutrition, lifting and tris, and great passion for the sport.

If you are looking for a Texas local, look up Justin Daer from the dallas tri geeks, the kid has a lot of passion and experience as well.

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Teresa Deveaux - awesome coach, great with motivation and personal attention

www.coacht4u.com

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Re: Online Coaching... Any suggestions?? [Berti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a coach for a month now and am new to the sport, but I second, I mean third Mike Plumb.

http://www.tripower.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT GAVE ME ADVICE HERE!

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another happy Mike Plumb client here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option

ironcoach.com. Jay's personable and very informative. Check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Online Coaching... Any suggestions?? [legion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question and it's something I've been wondering about, too. In fact, last month I wrote to Bill Hauser at Midatlantic MultiSport but I never heard from him. Guess he doesn't want my money.

The answers here have also given me some ideas, but my question is this - is there a worthwhile advantage to having a coach that is in your area of the country? For instance, Hauser is located maybe 20 miles from me. Presumably, he's at least somewhat familiar with the area I run and ride in, (and the weather), and maybe can suggest rides good for my specific training - ie, a hilly 60 mile ride with specific suggestions for a route. If a coach from CA or AZ were to plan a flat or flat-ish 100 mile ride for me, I'd have to travel an hour or two to find a flat area, and then wouldn't be familiar with the roads and which might good for cycling, which would increase the likelihood I wouldn't stick to the plan. (Does this sound ridiculous??) I have certain routes that I ride regularly, but a) I get sick of them and b) not sure that they will suit a particular training plan. I'd love it if someone could suggest new routes for me and have them correlate to specific training.

Or doesn't location make a difference? Can distance/familiarity issues be easily overcome? Can I fairly easily work around any issues?
Quote Reply

Prev Next