Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One long season or broken up?
Quote | Reply
There is a new 1/2 IM just a few miles from my house, it is practically on my long ride route! I'm excited about this race since it is so close and it plays to my strengths. Unfortunately, the race is on 4/3/2005. So how can I be ready for a 4/3/05 race and still do the only other local 1/2 in late Oct?

Generally, my first A race (1/2 IM) is late June, then another A race (1/2 IM) is in late Oct. There is plenty of time to prepare for both, and is about the max. amount of time I can put into a season without burnout. I'm pretty sure that I'll be miserable if I try and peak for the 4/3/05 race and then train for 7 more months until the late Oct. race.

Options as I see them, in no order:
1. Don't peak for the 4/3/05 race. Race it all out, but knowing that I'm not peaking for it. I envision being right in the middle of building base during this time.

2. Complete 12 weeks of classic base building going into this race. Take a break for a month or so, almost like off-season or transition period. Possibly spend this time doing reduced hours but training for sprint distance. Restart training after the rest and go through a classic season.

3. Complete 12 weeks of classic base building going into this race. After the race continue training as normal, then finish the season earlier than normal due to the early start of the season.
Quote Reply
Re: One long season or broken up? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion:

2 peaks. UNLESS you have another race that is important to you around the same time.

Another option would be to peak for Race 1 - take a few weeks off and go on vacation - or just do something other than swim/bike/run (hike/canoe etc) and then when you get that urge to train again, go for it. I had a few athletes race a long season last year (1/2 IM in May and IMFL in Nov) - I split the season up so it was like 2 separate seasons. It worked out well, but the comment I got after the race was they could have used MORE time off. And they were fighting me for giving them time off to begin with. So, hindsight is 20/20 but when it comes down to it, you are better off with a little more rest. I hope this helps.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tom,

What 1/2 IM is it you're referring to on 4/3/05? I'm starting to create my race schedule for 2005 and a 1/2 IM on that date could pretty much be perfect. Thanks in advance for any info!

Tom B
Quote Reply
Re: One long season or broken up? [Tom B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GulfMan Half Iron Triathlon in Galveston TX. Starts at Moody Gardens.

http://www.tritexas.com/gulfman/

If you are not familiar with the area, it is 45' south of Houston on the barrier island. Very, very flat. Could be windy. Could be great weather, or could be cool and raining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, a bit far away from me in Virginia... Anyhow, thanks so much, tom!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom -

I am in a similar dilemna as you. I decided to do a two peak season for numerous reasons and I also received the approval of my former coach when deciding to do it. I wanted to not fry myself training at full bore from now until next Sept. Now I have a nice gap in the summer next year that coincides with my girlfriends summer break from working in the school system.

Early Season
  • 4/9/05 - Ironman Arizona
  • 5/21/05 - Bishop 20miler or 50K (depends on recovery from IM)
  • 6/24/05 - Pacific Crest Olympic (either the Olympic or Half)
  • 6/25/05 - Pacific Crest Half IM (either the Olympic or Half)

July & August
  • base rebuilding with lots of hiking, camping, trail running and long rides on the P3

Late Season
  • 9/10/05 - Black Hills Triathlon (3/4mi swim, 30mi bike, 5mi run)
  • 9/17/05 - Grand Columbian Half Ironman
  • 10/9/05 - Portland Marathon

I'm thinking that this will let me get in a great base of training over the winter - so good so far. I can focus on nailing 2 or 3 key objectives in the early season. Then I can take a good structured break during July & August and do my own thing and step up the strength of my diesel engine and get ready to really nail my key objectives for the 2nd half of the season.

Good Luck with all of your scheduling
Quote Reply