Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

On which bike do you do most of your turbo training?
Quote | Reply
If you have both a road bike and a tri bike - which one do you use most of the time for indoor sessions?

I have predominantly used the road bike as I find it more comfortable (especially for 2hours+ sessions) and tend to switch to the tri bike around 1month-2months before a race to get used again to the aero position (generally when I start to incorporate some bricks sessions as well).

If using the tri bike, I would do most of the <90% FTP sections on the extensions/tt bars and anything above generally on the bull horns.

Main reason for me is that I am more comfortable on the road bike and as such can go more work on trying to lift up my FTP / layering up aerobic/foundation bricks. Switching to TT bit before racing as definitively takes some time for the neck muscle etc to get used to it.

Are you mixing both bikes and if so how long before a race do you get back mainly on the tt bike?

Thanks,
Last edited by: ThibThib: Jul 21, 20 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: On which bike do you do most of your turbo training? [ThibThib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can do harder work on the road bike so I use that on the trainer.

I do not have any problem getting used to my tri or mountain bikes for racing since I ride them regularly outdoors. All my bikes feel natural to me.
Quote Reply
Re: On which bike do you do most of your turbo training? [ThibThib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThibThib wrote:

I have predominantly used the road bike as I find it more comfortable and tend to switch to the tri bike around 1month-2months before a race to get used again to the aero position,

Same.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jul 21, 20 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First tri bike is set up on the rollers with no brakes etc on, doesn't go off the rollers and matches my race bike perfectly.
Cruise on the bullhorns, but slot 10-15 mins cruise in most sessions in aero, and generally do threshold stuff in aero, although races tend to be on the horns unless I need to change gear,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An old cyclocross bike for me. Haven't owned a TT bike since early 2015. This lets me keep my road bike and gravel bike ready to ride at all times and I no longer have to fuss with taking a bike on and off the trainer. Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in my 40's and my trainer bike is the bike I rode in high school (Norco Victory-Tri-A). I've replaced a bunch of parts on it, but it's a steel frame and it just won't die and give me the excuse to buy something else.

It lives on the trainer though, and you can't beat convenience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use both road and tri bikes. When training for cyclocross and gravel I have a road bike on the trainer. Around May I switch to the tri bike to get ready for upcoming tri's. After my last tri for the season ususally around early september its back to the road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 90% on my road bike. About a month before going outside, after the winter, I'll throw the tri bike on there to get used to the positioning. The road bike takes a beating on the trainer with all the sweat. I'm probably one more season away from rotting through my handlebar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my triathlon bike on the kickr because for me being able to hold power in aero is tailor made for the kicker/zwift. I built up a "trainer bike" out of an old Shiv frame and some spare parts and i hated that setup. I was never able to get the fit close enough to the race bike and since I ride the trainer a ton year round i just keep my tri bike on there. For the long weekend rides during the 6-8 week race build I just take it off the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Primarily road bike on trainer. During training for triathlon, I’ll typically ride tri bike outside on weekends
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% on the TT bike...road bike for the roads. I hate switching bikes on the trainer so and I also like the idea of training on what I race. Indoor sessions make up 80% of my riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% Tri bike.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old (retired) 9spd roadie with clipons permanently moored to the trainer.

Super convenient, and allows me to make indoor-specific equipment choices like saddle and thick handlebar tape.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost exclusively on a road bike, more specifically my old road bike frame re-built up as a spare rain/trainer bike!
Quote Reply
Re: On which bike do you do most of your turbo training? [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this may sound a bit "knobbish" but, for me it depends which turbo-trainer I use. Rollers always TT bike. Zwift 80/20 road to tri. Computrainer 80/20 tri bike. A Softride. NOT a Cervelo.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply