Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
On Topic Question for Christians
Quote | Reply
My question is simple. How do you fit it all in? I'm struggling to find time for work, family, workouts, and bible study/quiet time. As often as not, the bible study/quiet time suffers. This is a situation I'm not happy with and the only solutions I've come up with involve getting up at 4 AM or dropping the workouts.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is difficult to fit it all in. Coincidntally I have had the same questions myself. I found a very good book by an Episcopal priest based in Austin (also a runner) that was helpful in addressing the issue you have raised. It is :
"Running the Spiritual Path : A Runner's Guide to Breathing, Meditating, and Exploring the Prayerful Dimension of the Sport
by Roger Joslin "

Long title but a very good book. This is not light reading but rather a detailed discussion of techniques and philosphies on how to use physical endeavor to worship and/or meditate dependent upon your spiritual outlook.

He also has a web site you might want to check out. I met him in Austin while visiting a bookstore on 6th and Guadalupe. Nice Guy.

BTW: I live in Houston (Kingwood) are you diggin' the sunshine for a change?

Sorry for the long reply.

fal7 in Houston

Can't beat Pat Green at Georges Bar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have the same problem with training and drinking(brewing) beer. If its real imporant you need to make room for both. I have let my drinking fall behind and have felt guilty. Its all about priorities.

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. One of my priests actually went to seminary with Roger Joslin. He's recommended the book to me as well, but I haven't read it yet.

Yes, the sunshine is a welcome relief but it's already getting hot.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. I've often found myself immersed in prayer during my runs, but being able to meditate on the Word while doing so may be the ticket.

Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt,
I have learned to make every training session count. I have become very specific in my training. I make my hard days as hard as I can and my easy days so easy that I can still go hard on my hard days. I am a road racer/ time trialist so I don't run or swim but, my longest days are only (usually) 2 1/2 times longer than my longest event. I also do indoor workouts to maximize time and effort so I can repeat and graph results.
Reply if you would like more info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My question is simple. How do you fit it all in? I'm struggling to find time for work, family, workouts, and bible study/quiet time. As often as not, the bible study/quiet time suffers. This is a situation I'm not happy with and the only solutions I've come up with involve getting up at 4 AM or dropping the workouts.

Any suggestions?

Matt,

I think you hit the nail on the head with the part about getting up at 4 AM or dropping workouts. Getting up at 4:15 is the only way that I can do it.

Here's the schedule I use on most days:

Up at 4:15 for Devotions/Quiet time

4:45 - Breakfast

5:00 - Out the door on my bike going to work (Ride 15-25 miles)

Run at lunch 4.5 to 6.5 miles

5:00 - On my bike back home from work (10-15 miles) and in the door at 6:00 for dinner with my family. Some days I skip the bike ride and stick in an afternoon swim depending on how tired I am that day.

I try to get to bed by 10:00 on a good night; normally its more like 11:00.

Its all a matter of priorities and what you value most. For me I won't compromise my morning devotions, my evening devotions with the family or dinner with my family, so I end up compromising my sleep. When I can't keep up with this schedule any more, it will be time to cut back on my training. So far I've been able to do this for the last 2 years and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Don B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can be difficult to fit it all in, but it's just a matter of making it happen. If you're IM training, I have no advice at all. I wouldn't know where to begin. I mainly do sprints, Oly and a half IM or two a year. But I'm always undertrained for the half IM's. I finish fairly comfortably, but I'm nowhere near fast.

I train 60-90 minutes a day during the week, 2-4 hours on Saturday. Sunday is just whatever I can fit in. Sometimes it's 4 hours on Sunday, but usually no more than two, sometimes nothing at all. I'm part time youth director at a small church, and I also fill a pulpit when needed. So it can be hard to squeeze in workouts on Sunday. I also don't race on Sunday very often -- I did my first Sunday race in two years last month.

I try to be finished with my workouts every day by 6:30, 7:00 at the latest. If I can get up in the morning and get in a trainer ride or a swim before work, I do that. Sometimes I cut my lunch break short so I can leave work early. That gives me more time in the afternoons to train.

If I can get done early, that gives me time to read my Bible and relax. I make sure I read my Bible every night before I go to bed, and I don't let training/racing interfere with church to the best of my abilities. That means that sometimes I don't train much on Wednesdays and Sundays, and I seldom race on Sundays.

So yeah, I miss a workout or two, and I don't do some races I'd probably otherwise do, but it's OK. I think Christ is more important that triathlon. It can be daunting to fit everything in, but it's just a matter of making it happen. You also have to be opportunistic when it comes to training. I have a hard time sticking with a rigid plan because my schedule changes so much. What I do is make a general schedule for the week, and then fit the workouts in when I can. I seldom do the same things on the same days week in and week out.

So I don't train as much as some folks do. I still manage 8 to 11 hours a week, and have fun doing it. You just have to remember that Christ is more important than anything else, and fit your training around Him, not vice versa.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a few ideas. Try to combine some of the times. In other words, try using some of the workouts for your prayer time or worship (especially the LSD swims, and runs). It makes some of the workouts much easier. A buddy of mine also has the bible on CD which he converted to MP3 and now listens to that while running. Also, try to include your family in some of your workouts (if you can reasonably that particyular day). What I've found tough is racing. All of the races here in Texas are all on Sundays. In New Mexico most of the races were on Saturdays. If I want to race I don't have a choice but to race on Sundays.

Rusty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say do what it takes to have some quality bible/prayer time. It will be better for ya then planned miles met.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading some of the responses I realised you were asking Christians, not Catholics. Sorry.

I go to church on Saturday evening to race on Sunday morning.

I use my cross, St. Jude and St. Joseph medals as a sort of pace-maker ... if they bounce around or swing back & forth, I'm going too slow; if they're flapping behind, I'm going too fast.

I've said Rosaries while running on the track.

Plus, if I hook up with any hot TriBabes, I just go to confession.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: randymar: Jul 7, 04 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found it effective to vary the amount of time, and when I do my quiet times during the week, just as some of my training dyas are longer and are done at different times.

I feel consistency in my walk with God is important, however some mornings I may only read my bible 15 minutes before a workout. During a run or bike I will think of 1 or 2 specific things to ponder on and pray for, any more than that and I loose focus.

Other days I will have a more involved quite time in the morning that last longer, has more reading, longer specific prayer time etc, kind of like "going long in my quiet time" like I do in training. These days are usually associated with off days or light days of training, or days when I know I will be training in the evening. Some times during a build phase in training I will have to shift quiet times to evenings or lunch etc.

My time with God is a priority, but I have found that I can walk with Him while having variation in my quiet times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the long rides, runs, or swims for quiet times, reflection and prayer. One may work better for you. I just went to a RAAM link were one of the Vets just bagged the whole deal citing his religious convictions. Just keep in mind what your focus and importance is. Try to compliment each and have boundries, this is all fluff in the end anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the others have said, prayer, worship, meditation and celebration all work during an LSD workout.

Get rid of the TV. Literally, I keep mine in a chest and pull it out on Friday nights to watch a DVD, then I put it back. I never can understand the people who don't have time for ___ but then ask if you saw 17 sitcoms this week.

Once you've ditched the TV examine other ways in which you are spending time. Be aware of every thing you do and measure its utility. Make the word "purposeful" be an excellent description of your life.

OT - I thought Catholics were Christians?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt,

I always have my scripture and prayer time while eating breakfast. I have found that this works for me pretty well. I do have to have the discipline to get up on time to get in a decent amount of time.

I have also used my long runs for scripture memory, I know a guy who was a marathoner that memorized whole Psalms to meditate on during his runs, he kinda inspired me to do that.

--Dan
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OT - I thought Catholics were Christians?

So did I, until my brother (who's a Baptist minister) told me that "Catholics get it all wrong." Since the responses had a decidely Baptist feel ...

In light of the all the trouble the Mainstream Liberal Hollywood Jew Media gave Mr. Gibson this spring, I just say "I'm Catholic." I don't complain and I don't explain.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [dirtydan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The people on this forum never cease to amaze me for their honesty, sincerity, and willingness to help.

The Christians on this forum never cease to amaze me for their willingness to bare their faith and minister to others.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hah. that's pretty funny. I always get a kick out of the Catholic v. Christian thing.

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great question, and a great thread that is developing here. I don't know that I have much to add to what the others have said... workouts for prayer time and meditation on scripture, keeping things in balance, etc.

It's easy to make OTHER times of your day productive... I like to listen to tapes of Chuck Swindoll or other quality pastors as I drive to/from work.

Interestingly, it seems like when I find a point in scripture or theology or "life" in general that I just can't figure out, the answer will come to me during a quiet trail run. I think it's a combination of getting away from traffic, cell phone, bosses, etc., and deep into God's creation.

About a year ago, I stopped doing workouts on Sunday. I found myself sitting in church wondering when the pastor was going to let us go, rather than concentrating on the message. It was tough, becasue I do gravitate toward ultra-distance events. (But I race infrequently.) I'm not sure this is going to be set in stone for me, but I like the effect it's had on my perspective. (I'm certainly not advocating this for other Christians. It was just a personal conviction).

Just remember to Glorify God in all you do -- work, family, athletics -- and he will SMILE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found running a good time to memorize Bible verses.

Also, when I was raising my children I was able to combine Bible study with time with my children by having a short Bible study with them five nights a week from the time they were 7 through 17 years. Sometimes we did it by topic, sometimes by book. Although this is not a total substitute for one's own quiet time/Bible study, some of the many Biblical truths that have been meaningful to me over the years came out of those Bible studies.
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [Rusty TX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am actually a practicing freemason, and come from a fairly long line of male triathletes in California. We actually have a training group that ride when our studies permit. We are currently involved in re-structuring many of our morals and fraternities. Many of us actually have goat skin seats, and carry small scimtars on out seatposts. They are small and hard to see but our esteemed brothers know where to look and find them.

As masons in triathlon we go to great lengths to train and often take time out from our secret mens rituals that involve animal skins and swords, and secret challices to swim/ride and run in a way that will improve our fitness and stamina and make us better stronger masons.

We view Triathlon in parallel to Masonry: The three principal tenets in Masonry Brotherly Love (the swim leg), Relief (the bike leg) and truth (the run leg, interesting because it brings out the truth in you as a triathlete>>>no good riding and swimming srtonnglly if you struggle on the run....and it's here my brothers that you get judged.

Go well and train hard.

Esteemed Brother Gunther
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [Gunther] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Esteemed Brother Gunther,

Do you find the goat skin seats good to ride on? I have a big cycling event coming up and get chronic sweating problems at this time of year. Was wondering if the goat skin might be more breathable.

Feedback appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [Pete C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brother Gunther, Its great to hear from a fellow 'mason and triathlete (*insert secret handsake*).

I do believe both can co-exist and providing the following guidlines can be accomodated within your triathlon ventures I dont see the problem.

(1) to promote the brotherhood of man under the Fatherhood of the Supreme Being;
(2) to render practical aid to the less fortunate members of the community;
(3) to develop such behaviour in daily life as will show that the teachings of the
Order have a great and beneficial effect on all who sincerely take up its
teachings;
(4) to encourage the practice of every social and moral virtue.

I would encourage other like minded traithletes who are "spiritually lost" to seek out their local lodge and make some enquiries,, who knows we may even be able to start our own tri-club.....although the high 5's at races would take a little longer.

Peace
Quote Reply
Re: On Topic Question for Christians [roxii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brother Roxxi,

AA ## first/second lodge/old/worboro/

There is certainly common ground here and nice of you to say. A few of our members were actually wayward catholics who strayed from there because there was a lack of support for the sport especially racing. That Church and the World of Freemasonry has always had it's differences over the years and it was even viewed that we hated all stinking tikes. Well thats not true any more but at the lodge we do chortle when we get one or some of thier lost sheep so to speak. We take all in and do so in the face of the God.
Quote Reply

Prev Next