Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion
Quote | Reply
Would you rather win an olympic gold medal or become an Ironman World Champion?
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you really being serious or is this a troll question?

Olympic gold

On a scale of huge to small the olypmics are HUGE (which is much bigger then huge b/c I used caps) IMH is in .025 font which I would have used here if Dan would let me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I would rather be an Ironman Champ! Olympics aren't that big a deal (in my mind-and I know will hear about it) . I really think they are over rated now. It doesn't seem like anyone really cares about the olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Dude said...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Would you rather win an olympic gold medal or become an Ironman World Champion?
you have to ask?

Olympic gold, any day of the week.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also with 'what dude said..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They give gold medals for curling and badmitten...........I'll take IM Champ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually...aren't they 2 different races? I see your point in all this-reaching your goal and accomplishing something major thing, but aren't the olympic races shorter...so it is a much different accomplishment. Granted it is the best athletes in the world, but I would say it would be harder to do the Ironman due to the distance, and the stacked field.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the itu world cup series is stacked with great athletes.

look at andy potts. he decides he wants to take a small break from itu and go win 70.3 world championships. so he does. then he goes back to short course.

i'm not saying im athletes are shitty or anything - because they sure is hell aren't - but itu short course guys are FAST. they may not be out there for 8 hours slogging it out on the course, but they're tearing it up like screaming orangutans for 1:50 or less. (yes, screaming orangutans)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that logic held true, then folks would think the Olympic marathon was something more special than the 100m.......

Then again, perhaps the marathon is missing a good drug scandal to give it the press it deserves!

I said Olympic Gold because in the grand scheme of history, the Olympics are part of our society/culture. The average person has no clue what Ironman is other than that silly show on NBC which show people puking while interfering with college football.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering I've wanted to compete in Kona since 1994, i think winning it would be the ultimate.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the itu world cup series is stacked with great athletes.

look at andy potts. he decides he wants to take a small break from itu and go win 70.3 world championships. so he does. then he goes back to short course.

i'm not saying im athletes are shitty or anything - because they sure is hell aren't - but itu short course guys are FAST. they may not be out there for 8 hours slogging it out on the course, but they're tearing it up like screaming orangutans for 1:50 or less. (yes, screaming orangutans) *good point...but I still would take the ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and the stacked field[/quote] umm, just so you know and all, the ITU races have fields about 3x as competitive as the average IM, and maybe just 2.49x as competitive as IMH.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 7, 08 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They give gold medals for curling and badmitten...........I'll take IM Champ[/quote] you have obviously never seen a top notch badmitten match up close.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish that I had that problem. :-)

Seriously - no real comparison. Olympic gold is a far bigger medal to have on the worldwide stage. An IM championship is irrelevant to those outside of the sport. When Simon Whitfield won gold in Sydney he was an instant household name in Canada. Everybody in the country knows who he is. In contrast very few people in Canada have any idea who Peter Reid was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'l also point out that Macca had this choice and went with IM Champ. Listen to Bevan James Ironman Talk episode 91.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is so many Olympic champions but only few IMH

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [triatma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, there are 4 IMH championships for each Olympic triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did I say olympic triathlon
------------------------------------------------------

Wold somebody take Olympic cycling gold or Tour De France? Olympic Soccer or WC? Wimbledon of Oly?

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [triatma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right. My bad, I misread the original question. Going back to the cave where I belong, now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough choice that I'll never have to make. But I'd like to be Ironman.

------------------------------
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [Vagabond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olympic gold. even getting to the olympics is a bloody awesome achievement as a triathlete. much harder than say qualifying for IMH as a pro...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'd take and Olympic gold in any of the individual disciplines of swimming, cycling or Athletics. But as far as triathlon goes, I'd take Hawaii.

However, as has been pointed out, ITU and WTC racing are different and I would love to see triathlon with greater representation in the olympics. If boxing, wrestling, judo and the like can all have about 12 different weight categories, and with all the medals up for grabs in swimming and running, surely it wouldn't be too much to have more distances represented in Triathlon.
2 from ITU and 2 from WTC

Sprint 750-20K-5K
Oly Dist 1500-40K-10K
IM

I know the Olympics has strict criteria on the level of participation worldwide in all the sports. I'm not sure where triathlon stands in respect of meeting these criteria, but triathlon comprises 3 of the most popular activities on the planet. The argument should be the same as for Heptathlon or Decathlon. I mean.... how many decathletes do you ever meet? Think there are more decathletes than there are triathletes in the world?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Gold or Ironman World Champion [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Olympic Gold as it somthing special as it only comes round very 4 yrs and it watched by the world over
Quote Reply

Prev Next