Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Older running shoe models shipping from Moldova BNIB on EBay question
Quote | Reply
Curious if anyone has tried to buy from these sellers? There are a few of them there - like this one for example. I am kind of desperately looking for another pair of Clifton 2's or 3's, these guys seem to have my sizes, but shipping from Moldova... Best case scenario it's a deadstock of some local distributor. Thoughts?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Oct 26, 19 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Older running shoe models shipping from Moldova BNIB on EBay - scam or not? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to follow the rule of "if you have to ask you usually know the answer". That being said if you're using PayPal they tend to side with buyers pretty heavily, so the risk isn't super high. If I were desperate for a pair I would go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Older running shoe models shipping from Moldova BNIB on EBay - scam or not? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those prices aren't crazy low enough to make me immediately think scam. However that could be a strategy to trick people into ordering them. I think you're probably safe with those though. Nothing jumps out at me and I've done a pretty significant amount of ebay buying/selling.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was scammed by a website portrayed as German but actually shipping from China. Was looking for Saucony blue A5s. Received a Saucony, yep, but some weird blue plush thing definitely not even remotely meant for sport.

When I tried to return the item, they claimed I had to pay return shipping. Which of course was more than the purchase price. And I speak Mandarin. Can’t imagine a non Chinese speaker dealing with this crap.

Bank of America Visa cancelled their payment to the vendor. I still get insulting Chinese emails from this outfit complaining about their loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Older running shoe models shipping from Moldova BNIB on EBay - scam or not? [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no reason to make a claim with PayPal because eBay's money back guarantee is much better. (The seller has to pay for return shipping when a SNAD complaint is filed. )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moldova isn't part of the EU but has an EU trade deal which can favour shifting EU deadstock to the country for export further a field. I don't know the exact details but I think it is also a way companies can shift stock while minimizing directly discounting in the rich EU markets. That may not be what's going on here but the prices and pictures all seem legit so it doesn't scream scam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fwiw legit brands like Castelli do have stuff manufactured over in Moldova.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if shoe companies do this, but lots of manufacturers donate older stock to 3rd world countries as a tax write off or goodwill or whatever reason. It's quite possible someone figured out a way to turn a charitable donation into a cash generating machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll take a plunge. Clifton 2's BNIB are nearly impossible to find at this point. I'll update you guys how it goes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks legit. The feedback is all as a seller (not artificially bolstered by being a buyer of a lot of low cost items). The buyers are real, not straw ones. The sole negative feedback is about the condition of the box (no complaints on fraud or fakes).

As mentioned, you have coverage from three sources: Credit Card, PayPal, and eBay's money back guarantee. I've found the eBay one to be a real PITA to deal with, but have always ultimately gotten my $$$ back. The claims are reviewed by actual employees; usually in Salt Lake City or Austin, and they do actually answer the phone.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An update - the shoes just arrived. Turned out totally legit - a BNIB pair of Hoka Clifton 2s as described, etc. I might buy one more pair from these guys before they run out.

Quote Reply