Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old wetsuit for training, new wetsuit for racing?
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a Roka Maverick Pro wetsuit and love it. I have only owned cheap old wetsuits in the past, I still have a couple old suits (one sleeveless and one full sleeve). Since I have some back-ups, should I use those for most of my open water training swims then race (plus a few training swims right before big races) with the new suit? I'd sure love to get as much life out of the Roka as possible but am not very sure on longevity with wetsuits. Do they break down with age or use? If regular use does not affect the suits one bit might as well use the better suit. But if weekly use would cause premature wear and tear I would lean towards the old suit for day to day training.
Quote Reply
Re: Old wetsuit for training, new wetsuit for racing? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old was your old one? Did it breakdown? The neoprene material other than maybe some changes in coatings and mix of thicknesses used, to my understanding hasn't really changed much in 20 years. Let it dry after use, store it inside out and be careful putting it on and taking it off ot avoid tears.

The new more expensive wetsuits are probably a little less durable if only because they use thinner neoprene in a lot of places.

I'm still proudly rocking a sleeveless Aquaman form 1997. I'm pretty sure I always have the oldest wetsuit among the top 25% of finishers at any WS race I do.

I'd mix it up and just rotate them. Probably use your new one closer to your race so you're used to how it feels, but if the old one fits well, get some more mileage out of it too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Old wetsuit for training, new wetsuit for racing? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would use your Roka for all the practice. These things last a long time and maybe you will catch a small adjustment you need to make that you wouldn't have caught only using it a few times. If your old ones are broken down and you can' sell them, cut them up and use them to line camelbaks, on bike hydration, or something else.
Side note: Did you play poker for a living in the past? Your name looks familiar, and I think we were on a cruise for a bachelor party a few years back.
Quote Reply