Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Old school tri bike image
Quote | Reply
I thought you all may get a kick from this "golden era" tri bike. This image was taken a day before IMFL 2004, when this bike got its final tune up. The owner of this 89 Litespeed Tachyon had apparently bought it used about 10 years ago and has since raced about 80 triathlons on it. Check out the horizontal dropouts, curved seattube and old school dura-ace components.

Now that is getting your moneys worth. :-)

Cheers,

Herbert

Litespeed/QR

Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh nostalgia..hey wait...those are 7700 series derailleurs..that's not retro/old school...the cranks are even octalink...hmmm I agree though, they sure seem to be getting their moneys worth from this rig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Love the curved seat post. That guy has got his money out of that bike. I'm sure a new one wouldn't be much faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With 10 speed out now, someone referred to my 9 speed Dura-Ace parts as old school. :-)
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my DA 9 is now old school....shit...I just upgraded too..hate those Jones' I'm forever trying to keep up with them..they must be on PEDs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curved seat tube, horizontal dropouts!!!! naaaaah this is just another P3 copy ;-)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol...ladies and gentleman..the post of the day
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the thing being old school but why the hell would he not clean it since 1989?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a minute! This '89 Tachyon is pre-you, Herbert. So who was the frame designer....no doubt slightly ahead of his/her time?
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thinking the same thing King...some triathletes just never take care of their stuff (see the thread about a trashed bike...ewwww)
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This bike was designed by Mark and David Lynskey with the input of several triathletes and the Pioneer Triathlon Team. Some notable names who gave input were Steve Hed and Andrew McNaughton.
This is also the type of bike our president Mark Lynskey raced in Kona in 1990.
Cheers,
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Pioneer tri team..now that is retro...my friend traded his race shirt for Carol Montgomery's Pioneer team shirt back in 89 at a race in Milton ON. She signed it herself then had all the other pros within earshot sign it as well...made herself a fan for life that day...wow..memories
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this was the same bike or not, but I saw a dude racing at IM FLA in old Tinley tights, on a bike with the old school Profile triangle aero bars. I just though he was being cool with his retro gear....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, umm,,still ride a bike like that as well. It's "new" to me. An 89 DA VINCI. Not Devinci. Profile cowhorns and triangle bars. It's all Campy though and much cleaner.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats on the chain stay of the Giant in the back ground? Looks like someone poured tar on it. I know not and I can see zip ties are holding it on.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [baddog590] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a Polar power output sensor. I saw a few there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't it look like the Giant has only one chain-ring?
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn your right! How did I miss that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why did they keep the ft der? Makes no sense.

Herbert, check out the Vineman website. The biker on the title bar and using the old Scott Extreme bars is riding an old custom 700c Merlin with GripShift 7spd is Jim Musik. King of kicking a$$ on retro. Most years in the early 90's he'd have the fastest amatuer split at Wildflower. That photo is only a couple of years old.

So when is someone going to put on the Retro Tri? I've got some old Gatti tri-shorts I'd love to resurface. And to think I use to grocery shop in my split-leg neon Tri-Fit shorts. Yikes!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Old school tri bike image [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In response to the Giant with only one chainring.

cmetri:
They have to keep the front der to keep the chain on the chainrings when the rear der is shifted. they could put on cross style chainring guards and do the same thing, but usually it is just easier and cheaper to keep the front Tour?
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [CapitalTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a single ring on my cyclocross bike with a carbon outer guard and a chainwatcher inside. Works like a champ, and is a third of the weight of the ft der, and it looks a lot cleaner. For a cyclocross bike, if one is going to a single ring set-up, they go all the way. This just looked like a "weird night before in the hotel room experiment". A single ring is 50g. The noticable weight savings is only realized when one strips out everything. Too bad we can't see the rest of the bike. I'd howl if they left the STI shifter!
Quote Reply
Re: Old school tri bike image [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you about that there are difinitely better ways to set up your bike for a lighter weight set up if that is what you are worried about. I am sure this person saw or heard of this set-up some place and made some last minute changes. Hopefully they learn that there is better ways of doing things, but like my father always says, there is more than one way to skin a cat. (however, sometimes there is a better way though)
Last edited by: CapitalTri: Nov 11, 04 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope this guy fixed his chain before the race, otherwise he would be going nowhere fast...
Quote Reply

Prev Next