Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Okay, I've had it with "cc"
Quote | Reply
there is no such thing as a 700cc wheel. or a 650cc wheel. there is ONE c, not TWO of them. wheel sizes are 650c or 700c. centimeters are cm, as in 55cm or 60cm. millimeters are mm, as in a 100mm stem. there are 10mm in 1cm. there are 100cm in a meter. "mil" is the prefix for 1000, so there are 1000mm in 1 meter. there are 1000 meters, or we might write it 1000m, in a kilometer, which is abbreviated km, as in 10km, which often is shortened to just k, as in 10k.

long course, in the parlance of swimming pools, is 50m per length of pool. short course is 25 yards, or maybe you might write it 25yd. short course meters is 25m, and of course a short course meters pool is just a bit longer than short course yards pool, because 1 meter is about 10% longer than 1yd, and 1m is in fact 39.22" instead of the 36" that constitutes 1yd. when you say "short course" that always means 25yd, unless the speaker specifically designates short course METERS. swimming short course is faster than swimming the same distance long course, because flip turns are faster than swimming for any good swimmer. so a 1500m swim executed long course is going to be slower than 1500m swum short course meters.

got all that?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Okay, I've had it with "cc" [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many CC's of valium would you like?

Quote | Reply
I always thought that people were talking about the volume of air in their tires when they talked about 650cc or 700cc (cubic centimeters). ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You in a taper for something? : )
Quote Reply
Re: Okay, I've had it with "cc" [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You in a taper for something? : )"

as a matter of fact, yes. maybe that explains it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of those days, huh? ;-)

First you verb youself and now you are POed about cc and and K or km.

We all have 'em and we all get frustrated about small stuff. Just keep it in perspective Slowman...there are bigger things to worry about than that ;-)

Take for instance the wonderfully intellectual people that feel there is no such thing as global warming or wondering if you should beat someone up that is 'gay' or not...know what I mean? ;-)

Have a good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, now I have to sell my new 700cc race wheels and replace them with some single c ones. I wonder if they come in dd (double dimpled).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
there is no such thing as a 700cc wheel. or a 650cc wheel. there is ONE c, not TWO of them. wheel sizes are 650c or 700c. centimeters are cm, as in 55cm or 60cm. millimeters are mm, as in a 100mm stem. there are 10mm in 1cm. there are 100cm in a meter. "mil" is the prefix for 1000, so there are 1000mm in 1 meter. there are 1000 meters, or we might write it 1000m, in a kilometer, which is abbreviated km, as in 10km, which often is shortened to just k, as in 10k.

long course, in the parlance of swimming pools, is 50m per length of pool. short course is 25 yards, or maybe you might write it 25yd. short course meters is 25m, and of course a short course meters pool is just a bit longer than short course yards pool, because 1 meter is about 10% longer than 1yd, and 1m is in fact 39.22" instead of the 36" that constitutes 1yd. when you say "short course" that always means 25yd, unless the speaker specifically designates short course METERS. swimming short course is faster than swimming the same distance long course, because flip turns are faster than swimming for any good swimmer. so a 1500m swim executed long course is going to be slower than 1500m swum short course meters.

got all that?

1m is in fact 39.37 inches.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Okay, I've had it with "cc" [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"1m is in fact 39.37 inches."

i was just testing you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"1m is in fact 39.37 inches."

i was just testing you.

Me, personally? Did I live down to your expectations?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and then there are m&m's for quiescing fretting souls with chocolate. mmmm!!!

One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Stuff that rocks: <fawning links here>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you are at it, when someone says it is -3C outside, what is that in American?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I will cc this post to someone who makes the same error.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Okay, I've had it with "cc" [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"when someone says it is -3C outside, what is that in American?"

runnning weather.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love rants. This is why I read slowtwitch. Slowman + annoyed = smooth prose.

-------------------------------------------------------
Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane.
~Ignignokt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what would a 100 foot or 50 yard pool be considered? Short long course or long short course? Long course yards?

I'm not sure what the rationale was in Austin, but there are at least 2 100 feet long pools and 1 50 yard long pool.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since we are at it... Irregardless is not a word and the word coupon does not have a Q in it.

Wow, I feel better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how far is 1 lap in a 50m pool? ;)

I say 50m, but there are those who claim you must swim 2 lengths to complete 1 lap(generally non-swimmers).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you mean, it doesn't mean a wheel of 700 cubic centimeters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowman

when you say short course swimming.... it understanded that we talk about meters.... you have to say if it s yards.... the world dosnt turn aorund the usa....... everywhere...it s meters so short course is meters unless you specified it

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consider this a referral to my quirk thread

Last edited by: last tri in 83: Jan 9, 07 16:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is it triathlon or triathalon?

(Just needed to make sure this thread stayed in the tri-realm.)

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
short course in swimming is always short course metres, apart from in the usa. metres is spelled 'metres' apart from in the usa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kestel I am putting on the classifieds with 3 pairs of 650cc errrrr 650c errrrr 26" wheels...

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: Okay, I've had it with "cc" [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"While you are at it, when someone says it is -3C outside, what is that in American?"

Uh, that would be three degrees below zero in the Fahrenheit scale. I hope that helped.
Last edited by: tribreck: Jan 9, 07 16:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next