Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas)
Quote | Reply
I finished Ironman Wisconsin in 2004. I have decided that I would like a tattoo to memorialize the accomplishment - albeit a slow accomplishment. But I will only get one if I can think of something I really like. I do not want an Mdot for reasons that have been stated on this forum ad nauseum. I had planned to get a 140.6 with an oval around it. Pretty minimalistic. The artist I saw today said that it would be too intricate to get any real definition in the numbers in the size I wanted it (small, maybe the size of a nickel - or a quarter). He said the numbers would blend into one another after a few years. He said he could do it larger - but I was hoping for something relatively small.

So, any other ideas for something small. I am not very creative.
Last edited by: johnt: Sep 19, 05 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wish i could take back my tats, but I'm not going to try to convince you not to do it. however i will tell you that i've got a 12 year old tat on the front of my right ankle that looks like a black ink blob now.

if you want it so small, then why get it? if you're uncomfortable with getting it at a size where it won't run together over time, then please think about if you really want it.

and if you do, think about getting it across your butt cheek, and don't forget to post pics. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get an upside down pink triangle. Or the yellow equal sign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about without the oval? i saw a gal the other day with a small 26.2 on her instep. not obvious at all and not visible if she was wearing shoes (she was wearing flip-flops when i noticed). i thought it looked pretty good.
Last edited by: irongeek: Sep 19, 05 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He said the numbers would blend into one another after a few years.
Go to a different place. I have never heard of that before. I have 1 tattoo and it has some fine detail in it. It never changed once it healed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteer at a tatoo removal clinic. They often don't come off very well at all. It hurts more to remove them than to put them on. It takes multiple sessions.

In a study a few years ago, the number one risk factor for Hepatitis C was commercial tatoos.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how long have you had it? mine over the last 12 or 13 years has definitely blended together to some degree.

i look at it and think--why did i do that? bleck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't to the small tattoo thing. Utilize your entire back for an entire Triathlon scene. Have an open water swim on your upper back, a bike with a course on your mid-back and a run on your lower-back. You can use your arms for T1 and T2.

Can you tell that I'm a fan of that new show 'Prison Break'?
Last edited by: neotri: Sep 19, 05 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say if you are going to get one, go larger cause it will blend, otherwise, don't do it (it will look like crap in a few years) The blending depends on where you get it and how small and what fine details (sharp corners) you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can you tell that I'm a fan of that new show 'Prison Break'?

Or that grim HBO prison show that was on a few years ago? That one gave me the creeps.

If you get an M-dot tattoo and DNF, does honor require you to get DNF tatooed over the M-dot?

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite being a puss and go get a branding or a scarring or something.....

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somthing like this or nothing:

c

larger photo here:

http://www.documentarylife.com/...mp;IMG=19&PAGE=1
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had mine about 15 years also. It looks the same today as it did back then. I also wish I didn't get it, but you know - young - dumb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you want a mole.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [Al P Duez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nasty little things, always digging up lawns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John, I have a 26.2 also and it's about an inch long; did it about three years ago, still looks fine. I often get remarks from people saying, "262?? What's that mean?" Can't really see the little dot unless you look closer. I suggest finding a better artist to do it...they can creat beautiful works of art if they're any good, so don't settle...you'll have it for life.

Congratulations by the way!....if you want to celebrate your accomplishment by getting a tat, by all means do it. Only you really know how the training and the race affected you mentally and physically. Don't worry about what other people think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's wrong w/ an Mdot?!? Seriously - I just got here, but I've never heard of anybody bashing the Mdot, (except my sister, the couch potato). All I hear is people who can't wait to get one. Yeah, I have one. I consider it an honor to have earned one. You worked so hard, celebrate it!!! By the way, congratulations!!! And the Mdot design is so bold, that you can get it small, too. Anyway, just one girl's opinion...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have 5 tats and i love them all equally :) but don't go small, the detail will run togetheer especially as u get older and your skin isn't as tight. atleast the size of two quarters would be good..and tahts not very big at all..less than 2 inches long..you can hide that anywhere you want! :) good luck! i love my tats. they remind me of where i was in life and how i got through it. i can't wait to get something for my first ironman.

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [Deb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG, hang around, you won't believe the problems people have with various things around here. The general environment is one of combinations of the following:

- I'm the greatest triathlete that ever lived, but won't come out and say it.
- Mdot tattoos are cheesy (but most of us have them)
- its totally uncool to wear finisher's jerseys
- you're nobody if you haven't crossed "THE" finish line or gone "THE distance"
- All bikes suck unless they are made by Cervelo
- Runners are asswipes
- Roadies suck and are mean.
- My wife is jealous of my triathlon lifestyle
- My husband is jealous of my triathlon lifestyle
- I can't get a date
- Am I good looking/skinny/cute/well dressed enough?
- Does my bike position match my living room decor?
etc.. etc..etcc.

Regardless, its a pretty good place to hang out and talk about swimming and biking. We don't discuss running other than to argue the merit of running more than 2 hours for a long run.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]We don't discuss running other than to argue the merit of running more than 2 hours for a long run.[/reply]

Well it all depends on how fast you are running. A 2 hour run at a 5 minute pace is 24 miles! Yeeesh...some people. YOUR SEAT IS TOO HIGH! :D

Anyway, I say get a henna tat or a sharpie one and look at it. If after a few days when it washes off you wish it were still there, chances are you'll be happy with it later. Otherwise I'd stay away. Size-wise I'd have to agree with the wisdom here, it needs to be large enough that when it bleeds a bit (mostly dependent on the skill of the artist and the post-tat treatment) it will still look good. And an M-dot is just fine if you want it.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyway, I say get a henna tat or a sharpie one and look at it. If after a few days when it washes off you wish it were still there, chances are you'll be happy with it later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good idea, I happen to like Henna tats for the reason that I can change it if I want or not have a tat for that big job interview.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

it's not gonna blend...and unless i'm topless you can't see it :)

go big or go home.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend the M-Dot as well. I think the 140.6 thing is kind of silly. Nobody knows what it is outside of the triathlon community. The MDot makes more sense to me, plus I think it looks sharper than "140.6"

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I recommend the M-Dot as well. I think the 140.6 thing is kind of silly. Nobody knows what it is outside of the triathlon community. The MDot makes more sense to me, plus I think it looks sharper than "140.6"
I have the complete oposite thoughts... mdot is over used... Everyone knows what it means... Only a true triathlete would understand the 140.6... Be creative and think outside the mdot box.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh God! Not Another Tattoo Thread... (seriously - I need your ideas) [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh not everyone. I had a newbie tri ask me just this past weekend what that was on my calf.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply

Prev Next