Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hillier99 wrote:
"Lance, thank you thank you thank you for all you do for the... uh and the cancer."

LOL

I thought that was funny to listen to also.

]"Lance, thank you thank you thank you for all you do for the... MEDIA....uh and the cancer."

Who was 4th.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [vmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vmac wrote:
Typical slowtwitch...thread devolves into flaming the coverage. Excellent job folks! You are all aces!

Actually, I enjoyed it more than the normal coverage we get. I liked the fact they didn't know everything and goofed stuff up. It had that island vibe and was fun to listen to. You could hear the excitement in their voices.

Aaaad, it never dropped the signal like some of the other professional organization's "coverage".

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, slept in with Mrs. btmoney and missed the whole race. Was it worth it? You betcha.

Kudos to Potts and Poulat. And Lance, you gotta start running faster bro. The target on his back is big and bright when he comes off the bike in the lead.
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:12:50 run by Potts. Absolutely flying
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I know for sure from today that Lance can't win Kona.
His run sucks big time against the top Pro's.

SayHey Kid wrote:
1 4:03:31 2 ANDY POTTS USA 24:29 2:26:13 1:12:50 31:04 41:47
2 4:05:25 19 STEPHANE POULAT FRA 24:31 2:26:17 1:14:38 31:10 43:29
3 4:07:08 7 LANCE ARMSTRONG USA 25:51 2:22:39 1:18:38 32:14 46:24
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me_XMan wrote:

He's done much better in the races he's done so far than I expected. Seems like having Lieto off the front with him on the bike like in Panama is his best bet for putting together a complete race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me_XMan wrote:

SayHey Kid wrote:
1 4:03:31 2 ANDY POTTS USA 24:29 2:26:13 1:12:50 31:04 41:47
2 4:05:25 19 STEPHANE POULAT FRA 24:31 2:26:17 1:14:38 31:10 43:29
3 4:07:08 7 LANCE ARMSTRONG USA 25:51 2:22:39 1:18:38 32:14 46:24

Yes but he will be in the lead on the run for the first 10-20kms so plenty of airtime for him/his charity. He will jsut need to hang on in the run and if he can hold onto a top 10 it will be a super result. Top 20 will also be pretty good.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Last edited by: triathlonshots: May 6, 12 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing how someone that sucks at running finishes up 3rd ;-) Beating previous champs BOZZONE, KRIAT

At least he beat FREDERIK VAN LIERDE he will race at ironman france today by 9minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - a 1:18 off the bike "sucks big time".

It's not like he "Bjorned" it out there today (sorry, Bjorn) - and I'd imagine there's still room for improvement.

3rd in a tough race against a good field is more than respectable.
Regardless of the athlete's first name.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [Dom77mu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was Bozzone's time? I did not see him in the results.

Quote | Reply
At least he beat FREDERIK VAN LIERDE he will race at ironman france today by 9minutes

Word.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 BOZZONE, TERENZO 4:10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
1:12:50 run by Potts. Absolutely flying

Unreal... He had an amazing race today. I was surprised that he was able to stay so close on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [Dom77mu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a Lance fan, but that is pretty doggone impressive. I wish I had that kind of skill.
Last edited by: smartyiak: May 6, 12 19:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all:

A huge congratulations to my friend Dev Paul on his performance at St. Croix this morning. I just got off the phone with Dev. He is very happy and back in the win column, ready to start another 20 year streak of finishes. He was worried about his run but had a great run. He held back a little on the bike, as it was pissing rain the whole ride, paid off on the run.

Dev you are back (not sure you where ever gone) and we look forward to the RR. Congrats and relish your result!!!!!

B
DEVASHISH PAULBIBAGESTATE/COUNTRYPROFESSION35047Ottawa ON CANSWIMBIKERUNOVERALLRANKDIV.POS.36:082:53:511:34:045:04:03907
LEGDISTANCEPACERANKDIV.POS.TOTAL SWIM1.2 mi. (36:08)1:54/100m17719
TOTAL BIKE56 mi. (2:53:51)19.33 mph10912
RUN SPLIT 1: 6.55 mi6.55 mi (41:23)6:19/miRUN SPLIT 2: 13.1 mi6.55 mi (52:41)8:02/miTOTAL RUN13.1 mi (1:34:04)7:10/mi907 TRANSITIONTIMET1: SWIM-TO-BIKE--:--T2: BIKE-TO-RUN--:--

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWESOME work Dev!!!

Wow, if not for the ML-esque swim there, that'd be a killer outing for you, not even factoring in this whole past year.

In light of that - it's borderline unbelievable.

Congrats!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Say what you want about him, but he's got the PR end of this covered, doesn't he...

Lance Armstrongþ@lancearmstrong
And one big shout out/thank you to all the amazing volunteers. Races like this wouldn't be possible without you all.

1hLance Armstrongþ@lancearmstrong
Thank you everyone here in St. Croix for supporting this event year after year. Glad to be back 24 yrs later. Beautiful spot you got here.
1hLance Armstrongþ@lancearmstrong

My oh my, that was a doozy. Congrats to @andy_potts on his tremendous win. Homeboy ran like a gazelle.

Thank the venue, volunteers and your competitors. Checked all the boxes.
Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me_XMan wrote:

For a guy who had to be paced to a 2:59 open marathon by German Silva and Joan Benoit-Samuelson, I am pretty damn impressed by his 1:17 and 1:18 half marathons he is throwing out at the end of these triathlons. He isn't going to podium at Kona, but you've got to respect the serious attempt he is putting into it. (and I am a Lance basher who would bet my retirement that he was a serial doper)
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 1:18 at st croix is better than elsewhere... For context, Alexander has run 1:15:58, and 1:16:29 at 2 of his races here and many of the top run splits are usually high 1:1x(1:17-1:19)/low 1:20's. Potts 1:12:50 was preposterous...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are going to mail a royalty check for using his name right? Someone has to buy jet fuel.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In "context" wasn't Potts 17th last year at Kona?

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish we could just make this into a thread about how much of a badass Andy Potts is.

I mean seriously, who races an Oly and clinches a series victory at that distance and then goes and races Kona six days later.

Oh, he was pretty good today too.
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What context are you trying to provide? Kona is the only place Potts is still having trouble with (although he has 2 top 10's). He's won all his other Ironmans, where his bike has not been weaker as in kona, like a 4:42:04 when he won Coeur d'Alene, which was 3:15 off the course record at that time. 70.3 is where Potts tears it up....
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got to do a nice interview with Andy Potts post race. What a sportstman. He really respects Lance for coming out hear and duking it out at almost 41 wth the top pros in the sport. Andy said that Lance basically caught him at the Beast. Andy had not wattage to report, but Lance does, (but I did not get to speak to Lance as I was tooooooo slow to actually talk to him before he got whisked away). Andy says that Lance basically put the hammer down at around mile 35 and there was NOTHING him and Pouliat could do to respond. He said it was almost like a joke how easy Lance made that part look. Then out of T2 he was not sure how to pace. Initially he thought to rev it up and try to make the catch by 6 miles, but he was afraid of bonking (and also worried about the guys behind). He made the catch on Lance at around mile 9 going into the Buccaneer and wanted to have juice to make the pass "definitive" so that Lance did not lathch on. Interesting hearing all the tactics at play. They definitely respect Lance's abilities.

Potts was really excited about getting to race Lance once before Kona. He downplayed that he beat the 7x TdF Champion, saying that this is triathlon, not cycling. I briefly met with Angela Neath....course record riding in a flat tubular for the final 6 miles that includes a very tricky trecherous descent.

There were people flatting, and crashing all over the place. The rain was really heavy at times, and there were may puddles that were 808 rim deep. There was one massive Lake that spanned the entire road that was hub deep where lots of people went down on.

As for my race, my swim ability is somewhat limited due to my neck injuries from last year's crash...I still need a lot of neck rehab. I took the bike ultra cautious not wanting to go down. The split was 2:53, but I believe my entire wave seems to have 6 minutes added to our rides and 6 minutes removed from our runs. I am 98% certain, I did not run 1;34 which is 4:30 per kilometer. Seriously, at home I'm almost anaerobic running that pace as I still don't have proper coordination in my left leg from last years crash, injuries and subsequent nerve damage. Pretty sure that run was 1:40ish which was my target in a "best case scenario" that I told the guys. Before last year, I had a 20 year streak of finishing races, so I HOPE, that this is the start of another one. Aparently the 5:04 was good for 7th in M45-49, but that's probably only because all the fast guys are at home and unwilling to blow the money and vacation time to come here.

Talking to Jimmy Ritticello, Ken Glah and Tom Guthrie (race director), as a bunch of "old school athletes" we all agreed that this race is an "athlete's race", in the same vein as something like Savageman, Alpe d'Huez Tri or even Kona of which WTC is just the custodian. These types of races exist because the athletes, race director, the community all come together to make an astounding event happen. No small feat for this race to be around for 24 years.

Lance had the privelege to return to this event 24 years after he did it as a 16 year old. He can' t do that with any other event that he ever races in tri. In between he won 7 Tours and faught back from cancer. He won the UCI world's, a bunch of classics, the tour de Suisse, the Dauphine Libere and even an Olympic medal in the ITT. But he was back here today. In the start gate of the swim, he was all business. This could have been the start of the Alpe d'Huez ITT in his 6th tour where he set the record for tour wins. I watched him that day in the start gate in 2004 and today in the St. Croix start gate. He had the exact same fire in his eyes. You could say this race is meaningless compared to what he has done and it really is. This is not beating cancer and staring it in the face, nor raising money to help so many. It's just a race in a tiny island in the Caribbean, but guess what....he was there, he was fighting and put on an amazing race. The boy might grow up and become a man, reach his peak and then go down the other side, but you still can't take the boy out of the older version of the man.

To witness that, was awesome. I'm thankful I could be part of it in my small way. In the grave yard, everyone gets two dates on the headstone and a dash in between. It's the dash in between that counts and Lance has already done a lot with the dash in between and he's only halfway or so before they hang a date on the other side of the dash.

I can't wait to see what shakes out in Kona....a 1:18 run in St. Croix is something you can take to the Kona bank.
Quote Reply
Re: Official St. Croix "Lance Mania Thread" [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattbk wrote:
What context are you trying to provide? Kona is the only place Potts is still having trouble with (although he has 2 top 10's). He's won all his other Ironmans, where his bike has not been weaker as in kona, like a 4:42:04 when he won Coeur d'Alene, which was 3:15 off the course record at that time. 70.3 is where Potts tears it up....

vs. the guns he was only 11th, though, in Vegas (with the slowest bike split for any guy in the top 15). Potts is very good, but I don't think he's great relative to the Raelerts, Crowie, etc when they're on form.

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply

Prev Next