Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Ironmike78 wrote:
Lange for the win at present! I’m getting nicely drunk. God I love kona night. It’s like my Xmas!

I called it in the prediction thread...all bunched by about 90km, and lange gonna win it! :)
Sorry but Nilsson will outrun Lange! Seems probable that they will enter t2 together so I like Nilsson better for a dark horse. Of course we don't know how fast Frodo/Sanders can run after this hard bike, but I think they will need a 2:42 at least to keep the runners away.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Lionel's attack apparently spit Lange out the back (per the blog he's 2:19 back now).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
lassekk wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
I’m new to all of this, but WTF is that with some “on course race support”?!?!?!?! I guess it must be allowed. I don’t get it. Have to fix a flat, but you can just swap out a tire?? AND the guy runs behind and gives him a push (not just provides a tire)?!?!?!?!?! What a crock of shit.

YOU’RE ON YOUR OWN once the race starts (at least I think they should be).

I get your reasoning, but triathlon is so damn random a sport already, do we really want a flat to decide who is the best triathlete? Puncture is luck based so lets make it as leats possible as we can.

Run Gatorskins if you're worried about it!! A racer can pic a less puncture prone tire!

YOUR RACE....SOLO (half pink)

I totally agree... You're new to all of this...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused help me out!

Is Lionel that bad a runner? I thoght he was at the very top?
Why would he burn so many matches on the bike, why does lionel not just bridge to Frodeno group and save the legs from the surge to Frodeno group and just sit tight untill T2?

Is it because he knows Lange etc. would outrun him?

Or is kienle/Sanders changing in the front to save themselves?
Last edited by: lassekk: Oct 14, 17 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
monty wrote:
Wurf attacking the feed zone, guess we know what he has in mind. Good/bad thing for him today was his not so stellar swim. Coming out with the other uberbikrers he now know exactly where he stands on getting that record, just has to beat them to T2. And it looks like a record day too, of course the swim looked that way too and we saw how that turned out..

I figured this was intentional om his part, no? Better to start with the uberbikers and get a tow to Hawaii? Also - Why smash the swim when going for the bike-record? He wouldnt be top 10 overall anyway?

yeah, you're right, I missed that. He's gonna have a lot of chasing to do on the run..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

Why would he burn so many matches on the bike, why does lionel not just bridge to Frodeno group and save the legs from the surge to Frodeno group and just sit tight untill T2?

It didn't look like Lionel and Sebi attacked at all...just kept up the pace. Maybe this is the pace that they can ride and run well, and this is a great effort by them. It didn't seem like they sat in then gunned it at all.

Lionel and Sebi both run well on beat up legs. If they are steady and keep this up, it's going to be a huge deficit for Lange at T2 I think.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nilsonn and Lange have been shed off the back, so he/they are doing damage....to be seen if he is doing himself any favours though.

Well I think that was pretty much expected, I only thought it would be later in the race for these guys to get popped off. It now seems unless all the runners up front blow up, it is going to be low podium spots those guys are fighting for. I didn't have Niilson in my top 5, still think he can be 6th though??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lionel is a great runner, and cracks probably last. He is extremely well positioned. He held IM record until Tim Don broke it in Brasil, he runs 1:10-1:14 for the half like it's nobody's business. This race so far is playing exactly in his hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he doesn’t think he’s burning matches? I believe he rode the same watts at Arizona and ran well, but it was much cooler there. But then again he didn’t really build into Arizona like he has for Kona so maybe he thinks he can ride this hard and run well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Lionel is not at bad runner, neither is Frodo. However both Lange and Nilsson are better runners and if Sanders were to sit in after he bridged the gap it would be tough for him to get the win. His best chance (and frodos) is a several min gap to the Patrik's.
I think both Patrik's could run a 2:38 if they need to, so will be interesting to see how the gap extends. Right now Nilsson seems to be leading the chase group 1:40 behind with Lange 30s further behind. Hope he doesn't lead all the way back and saves those legs! Would be awesome to get a Swedish win in Kona! We do have a 2-time champion Jonas Colting, however that is Ultraman...

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not saying he is the best but I am saying that he will push the pace more than the other guys and some will be able to hang on as they are great riders but a lot will try to hang in and get sh1t out the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
Lionel is a great runner, and cracks probably last. He is extremely well positioned. He held IM record until Tim Don broke it in Brasil, he runs 1:10-1:14 for the half like it's nobody's business. This race so far is playing exactly in his hand.

Yea he runs hard until he goes down! I think - the way today is playing - lionel either wins or blows up in epic porportions (like texas a feet years ago)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bozzone is another dark horse lurking.. Historically Kona hasn't suited him but he only needs one perfect day. Could this be it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very early but i think Frodeno will be denied a 3rd IMWC today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

Or is kienle/Sanders changing in the front to save themselves?

so u saying that great biker should sit and tow a great runner back to t2? lol

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:

Why? I think he's very well poisitioned just hanging on w/ the front group
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.........whoever posted that Mr. T video on the prediction thread........ I think they are exactly correct the way this is going........
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side note Sian Welsh leading womens 50-54 by 5 minutes...really out biking her piers.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the only guy with wurf, sanders and keinle is frommhold. How’s his run?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the womens race, how about Lucy still leading at this stage? Also, Lauren has just been sitting in this whole time. If it comes done to the run, who's got the advantage between Lucy and Lauren (I don't know much about these womens) or will Daniella be able to bike/ run them down?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tracker function seems a but funky at times, but kind of looks like sanders has already lost a 1;30 on the downhill?? Now that is to Wurf of course, but it appears Sebi is not that far back from him, is this tracker thing working for you guys?

that would be horrible for Lionel to lose as much time as it took him 20 miles to get back at the beginning of the race just because of bike handling..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vittorio wrote:
rodchaves31 wrote:

Looks like he’s a minute and a half down
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Monty predictions 0/2 thus far.

Really???

“Not sure what you are looking at, but he hit the turnaround at about 44+ pace given the course swims out neutral. Which would make sense if he were to go around a 45 or so, a little over two minutes short from the previous record, so he is going to be very close to Lars record on the longer course comparatively. 44;30 would be a pretty even swim against that old record, and he is on that pace now.”

1 47:09 Josh Amberger

“It is more like 7+ minutes dev, dont forget Josh out there pulling the lead group towards him. And he is lengthening his lead from the swim it looks like, so putting a lot of pressure on some athletes to keep the pace high in that chasing group. This is going to make any catch happen much later than normal, I'm saying not until after the turnaround, if at all really. It may just be the lead group breaks up before any of those 3 even get there, then it is just picking off the strongest of the bunch..”

Sanders in lead before the turn.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kona Race Talk [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vittorio wrote:
rodchaves31 wrote:

Nothing against him and it's really just a hunch but having Lionel pushing hard at the front and with great running, and Lange and Nisson on his back will make it for really interesting run dynamics that he hasn't seen before. I honestly expected Lionel to be down 1-2 mins at the turnaround and now anyone's race. Something tells me Lionel could take it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
In the womens race, how about Lucy still leading at this stage? Also, Lauren has just been sitting in this whole time. If it comes done to the run, who's got the advantage between Lucy and Lauren (I don't know much about these womens) or will Daniella be able to bike/ run them down?
Lauren's run is quite weak, relatively speaking. She won't finish top 10. I'm not sure about Lucy, but doubt either podiums.
Quote Reply

Prev Next