Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups
Quote | Reply
Received an email from Giant that my frameset was shipped yesterday. I have all my parts ready to build this bad boy.
  • Cadex frame size Medium
  • SRAM AXS 12-speed 1x setup with Red 1x Aero crankset (50t) and 10-28 cassette
  • Favero Assioma pedals/power meter
  • SRAM S900 Aero Disc Brake levers and calipers
  • SRAM CenterLine XR rotors (Center Lock) 160 mm
  • Premier Tactical 88/Disc wheelset
  • S-Works Turbo 2Bliss Ready T2/T5 tires (700x28)
  • Dash Stage saddle

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 1, 23 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats!

Must be very exciting

Looking forward to your updates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Cadex stack (and base bar height) can be achieved with spacers above or below the base bar. I asked this question last year when info about the bike was first released.

The GMAN wrote:
Referring to base bar adjustment on page 7 of the brochure: Is there an aero penalty having it +40mm vs 0mm? I run things more or less slammed on all my tri bikes which means the base bar is generally very low and uncomfortable if I have to use the base bar (like when climbing and getting out of the saddle). Raising the base bar up even that 40mm would help comfort wise.

With reply from:
cyclenutnz wrote:
On the P5X people had been told by Cervelo that the up position was faster, presumably because it put the bar in front of the knees more
You want to have decent separation of basebar and armrests, but if you can do that without slamming the basebar - that may be the fastest as well as more comfortable
Obviously can't know fastest without testing, but there is no reason not to prioritise comfort

cyclenutz’s reply makes sense if nothing more than comfort sake. Plus, not apples to apples but there’s all this talk about disrupting the space like jamming shit down your jersey or Ku with that hump thing. I’m definitely leaning towards raising the base bar.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Aug 31, 23 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep us updated with photos of the build!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do đź‘Ť

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats man, early retirement gift to yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Congrats man, early retirement gift to yourself?

There was some logic to buying expensive shit while I still have a job. I haven’t made up my mind on when I’m hanging it up but the day is approaching.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picked up the frameset yesterday. The unboxing:

Comes in a giant (pun intended) box:

Inside the box was the custom bike case and two boxes of parts:

Parts box 1:

Parts box 2 with everything nicely labeled (if you zoom in on pic):

What's in the bike case?

The bracket the frame sits on comes out and acts as a mini bike stand.

Case includes padded wheel bags, padded bags/covers for parts, foam padding, chain keeper, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Page of videos with how to build the bike.

The cockpit install is interesting.

https://www.cadex-cycling.com/us/tri-how-to-videos

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sexiest post of the day!

The GMAN wrote:
Picked up the frameset yesterday. The unboxing:

Comes in a giant (pun intended) box:

Inside the box was the custom bike case and two boxes of parts:

Parts box 1:

Parts box 2 with everything nicely labeled (if you zoom in on pic):

What's in the bike case?

The bracket the frame sits on comes out and acts as a mini bike stand.

Case includes padded wheel bags, padded bags/covers for parts, foam padding, chain keeper, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one last part I was waiting on to finish the build and that was shipped a couple of days ago. Hopefully, I will have it built up by next week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I have one last part I was waiting on to finish the build and that was shipped a couple of days ago. Hopefully, I will have it built up by next week.

You need to update your signature. You keeping the TriRig and the Dimond?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keeping the Dimond. The TriRig is for sale in the classifieds.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Page of videos with how to build the bike.

The cockpit install is interesting.

https://www.cadex-cycling.com/us/tri-how-to-videos

I built up the cockpit this weekend (minus installing the disc brakes) to see how it is assembled and to set my fit coordinates. Such a different way to go about it. There’s no traditional stem or base bar. Everything is just an extension of the double crown fork.

The bike is amazingly well thought out. I will give kudos to the Cadex engineers.

I’m going to take it over to LBS to have them install brakes and drivetrain.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike is built. I had the LBS do brakes and drivetrain and fine tune shifting.

Will post some pics over next couple of days.

Manager of the shop said from what he is seeing in the system the frame is sold out in the USA right now and there’s currently no availability. His words were “Enjoy your unicorn.”

I asked about how the build went and he just said, “Wow! The front end is very different from any bike on the market.” He thanked me for the heads up on the build videos on Cadex’s website and that I had built the front end minus the brake cable install. So all he had to do was reverse engineer what I did.

The front end build isn’t rocket surgery but there’s a learning curve to it.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 27, 23 4:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some pics:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pad stack/reach is 645/445 mm for now but will likely tweak as I ride it more. 445 is to back of pads, 510 to center of pads.
15 degree tilt on extensions.
Trying out the wider extension option by flipping the extension clamps. 190 vs 110 mm. I was never a fan of the narrow extension width. I don't know what the aero penalty may or may not be.
Saddle height is ~790 mm.
Drop from saddle to pads is about 11 cm.
Bike as shown weighs about 23.5 lbs. which includes all the crap in the toolbox thingie and the Wahoo computer. So 22-something pounds without.

Had to add a splash (or dash if being punny) of color with the saddle and rotor lockrings (even though you can't really see them). :-)

Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 30, 23 16:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the price on that complete bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [Naplover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I parted off a lot components from another bike but at current retail prices I’d say in the $12,500 to $13,000 range. Frame is $7K itself.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 30, 23 21:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, first of all thanks for sharing your beautiful builds!

I hope i have come to the right place to ask: I'm currently considering between the cadex tri (full build with cadex 4-spoke and disc) and the speedmax cfr. Would anyone happen to have any experience with either frames to be able to provide an opinion? My fit coordinates can be easily achieved with either frames according to my fitter.

Both frames offer great integrated storage and hydration options, good front end options, with Cadex imo having a slight edge since its storage options can be easily removed for cleaning.

Appreciate any inputs you may have!

Brendan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty bike--thanks for sharing the pics & experience with the build.
I got to pick up the same bike last weekend (literally) on a ride...it was RVB's ex-gf & we were at a water stop -- (she has one)...I will say the Cadex is a beast for weight--heavy as hell, but dang--can't get past the tricked out factor--it's pretty cutting edge even from a distance. Get up closer & you can see the craftsmanship and thought in the design Cadex put into it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [frozzberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have seen both, a lot, since I'm a fitter and do lots of Canyon's but we also sell Cadex.
To be honest we do a lot of Canyon's for customers send by canyon since they know we are completely honest in our advice.

I'm not going to tell you what you should get or not, just a few differences.

Canyon CFR:
- Max pad width is 20 cm measured center to center, if need more that is not possible.
- Aerobar is integrated and for most 'normal' people not easy to get a different model/shape so you better make sure you like the 'snake tongue' design.
Even with the spacer placed it is a small unit and for most almost impossible to ride it with thumbs on the inside instead of on top of the shifters
- Max tilt at default 12 degrees of aerobar tilt. German company Radsport Ibert makes a tilt kit though if you need more.
- You choose either flat or high rise bar, swapping means new bar.
- Hydration / water reservoir, it sucks (pun intended) it is pretty useless like most integrated systems
- If you need a different crank length you need to buy it seperately and that makes it expensive because the default is also equiped with a PM.

Cadex Tri:
- Pad width fore and aft range is huge.
- Normal 22.2 clamping system so you can decide what extension or cockpit you like. I personally didn't like the wrist position of the default extensions, but it is an easy swap to something else
- Aeobar tilt up to over 20 degrees, default they say up to 15 but I mounted 2 angled spacers on top of eacht other and got to around 23 degrees.
- You can choose all your parts specific to your request and use.
- Spare parts come at default to almost built two bikes, that many parts from derailleur hangers to armpads, spacers, seatpost clamp system, etc. It is there double sometimes even triple, like in extra armpads pillows.
- Hydration system, also sucks.....after some use the valves at the hydration bag will stop functioning. And the valve on top makes you suck, literally you need to suck like a wh...:-)
But I managed to overcome this issue by making my own hydration system with a Platypus 2 liter bag and use that in the frame. No refill option but 2 liters is quite good to carry. The valve is better, the straw has much better flow so overall it needs some work by Giant to fix this. If you join Cadex Tri Bike Owners on FB there I have pictures from how I made this and also already for some customers. It was very easy once figured out.
- Ride quality, it is super stable. I thought at first the 4 spokes would be very wind catchy but it is the contrary. They ride imensly stable. We had pretty much wind over this Sunday and it still amazes me how much more stable this bike feels compared to my previous P5 disc with 80/60 mm DT Swiss wheels.
- Very nice feature is the possibility to quite easy adjust the height of the base bar, depending on the type of race course.
- Packing is easy when you have done it a couple of times
- Another cool feature, I placed a JBL speaker in my nose cone and run a playlist from my phone to the speaker so I have music without having it on or around my ears :-). I can't tell you how nice that is during long rides.

Have good luck with your choice whatever bike that will be.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeroen is not kidding. There are two or three of every single part.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Pretty bike--thanks for sharing the pics & experience with the build.
I got to pick up the same bike last weekend (literally) on a ride...it was RVB's ex-gf & we were at a water stop -- (she has one)...I will say the Cadex is a beast for weight--heavy as hell, but dang--can't get past the tricked out factor--it's pretty cutting edge even from a distance. Get up closer & you can see the craftsmanship and thought in the design Cadex put into it.

I agree. It’s not light. Heavy as hell might be a bit of hyperbole but I was a little surprised when I weighed it. I’m swapping wheels around on my Dimond and will try to weigh it this weekend for comparison.

It is the nicest built and best engineered tri bike I’ve had… and I’ve had some really nice bikes. Some folks may not like the weird aesthetics but Cadex hit a home run here.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Cadex Tri Frame/Bike Builds and Setups [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Yes, I have seen both, a lot, since I'm a fitter and do lots of Canyon's but we also sell Cadex.
To be honest we do a lot of Canyon's for customers send by canyon since they know we are completely honest in our advice.

I'm not going to tell you what you should get or not, just a few differences.

Canyon CFR:
- Max pad width is 20 cm measured center to center, if need more that is not possible.
- Aerobar is integrated and for most 'normal' people not easy to get a different model/shape so you better make sure you like the 'snake tongue' design.
Even with the spacer placed it is a small unit and for most almost impossible to ride it with thumbs on the inside instead of on top of the shifters
- Max tilt at default 12 degrees of aerobar tilt. German company Radsport Ibert makes a tilt kit though if you need more.
- You choose either flat or high rise bar, swapping means new bar.
- Hydration / water reservoir, it sucks (pun intended) it is pretty useless like most integrated systems
- If you need a different crank length you need to buy it seperately and that makes it expensive because the default is also equiped with a PM.

Cadex Tri:
- Pad width fore and aft range is huge.
- Normal 22.2 clamping system so you can decide what extension or cockpit you like. I personally didn't like the wrist position of the default extensions, but it is an easy swap to something else
- Aeobar tilt up to over 20 degrees, default they say up to 15 but I mounted 2 angled spacers on top of eacht other and got to around 23 degrees.
- You can choose all your parts specific to your request and use.
- Spare parts come at default to almost built two bikes, that many parts from derailleur hangers to armpads, spacers, seatpost clamp system, etc. It is there double sometimes even triple, like in extra armpads pillows.
- Hydration system, also sucks.....after some use the valves at the hydration bag will stop functioning. And the valve on top makes you suck, literally you need to suck like a wh...:-)
But I managed to overcome this issue by making my own hydration system with a Platypus 2 liter bag and use that in the frame. No refill option but 2 liters is quite good to carry. The valve is better, the straw has much better flow so overall it needs some work by Giant to fix this. If you join Cadex Tri Bike Owners on FB there I have pictures from how I made this and also already for some customers. It was very easy once figured out.
- Ride quality, it is super stable. I thought at first the 4 spokes would be very wind catchy but it is the contrary. They ride imensly stable. We had pretty much wind over this Sunday and it still amazes me how much more stable this bike feels compared to my previous P5 disc with 80/60 mm DT Swiss wheels.
- Very nice feature is the possibility to quite easy adjust the height of the base bar, depending on the type of race course.
- Packing is easy when you have done it a couple of times
- Another cool feature, I placed a JBL speaker in my nose cone and run a playlist from my phone to the speaker so I have music without having it on or around my ears :-). I can't tell you how nice that is during long rides.

Have good luck with your choice whatever bike that will be.

Jeroen

Wow thanks for such an in-depth feedback post Jeroen, really appreciate it!

Seems like the common theme on both bikes will be the sh*tty hydration resevoir, thanks for sharing your hack on the Cadex tri, ive joined the FB group (and will leave shortly as i dont own a Cadex yet, as per the rules :D) , it is probably somth i will look to explore though im a gel-heavy guy, maybe i can offset this with a gel aero bottle on the seat tube!

Is the spares box such a big headache? I've read that you need a tyre lever or something to yank it out, i understand from a friend that owns it this is his issue too, the cover is darn tough to get open.

On the wheels side of things, my LBS lets me choose between double 4-spoke and 4-spoke front + disc rear, as the difference is only $1000 singapore dollars, im inclined to get the disc config, any idea how does the disc wheel ride?

Coming from a Canyon, hearing that Cadex provides a shit ton of spares is music to my ears indeed. (Ofc more music to come with that nose cone speaker u got there :P)

I think as you can probably tell by now I'm sold by the Cadex, just hope to ask a few more questions as this is a huge purchase! thank you!
Quote Reply

Prev Next