Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I do not think it’s back to the F1 track, but I also don’t think it’s the GF course exactly either.

Looks like the elite course is on/within the F1 track.
https://wts-assets.triathlon.org/abudhabi/WTCS_2023_Elite_Athlete_Guide__24_02_23.pdf

Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to google map it cus their maps online I can’t really get a sense of what it was.

I didn’t like the portions of last years Bike that was seemingly on the “side path” that narrowed and also had crashes. I thought that was odd for a world championship level field, but also wondered why they went away from F1 track that they have been on for what 6-7 years previously? (Even though original course was not on the track back in what ‘14 or ‘15).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I tried to google map it cus their maps online I can’t really get a sense of what it was.

I didn’t like the portions of last years Bike that was seemingly on the “side path” that narrowed and also had crashes. I thought that was odd for a world championship level field, but also wondered why they went away from F1 track that they have been on for what 6-7 years previously? (Even though original course was not on the track back in what ‘14 or ‘15).

I did the age group standard distance race in November and I can tell you the "side path" was not fun in our race either. We had to jump a small curb to get on and off that path. Thankfully we didn't have as much of that as the elites and we only had two laps (about 4/10th of a mile were on the path, with more still on other narrow sections).

WT's maps are terrible. I looked in the athlete guide so I could zoom-in in the pdf.

I suspect the reason it wasn't on the F1 track was that the F1 race was the Sunday before the GF (originally it was scheduled before the F1 race before moving to after). I think many of the teams kept some of their staff there to do testing after the race, you could hear cars there all week. There are normally times during the week that the track is open to bicycles but that was shut down for the whole month of November. It would have been nice to ride a few laps even if we couldn't race there.

We got there Tuesday and F1 pricing was still in effect, had a chicken sandwich for lunch at the hotel that was almost $40 the first day, thankfully the prices all dropped in a day or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wild stab in the dark predictions..

1. Yee
2. Wilde
3. Luis

1. GTB
2. Potter
3. Periault
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
My wild stab in the dark predictions..

1. Yee
2. Wilde
3. Luis

1. GTB
2. Potter
3. Periault

Probably close to what will happen but Beaugrand and Rappaport have potential to be in the top 3 as the big bikers are not in the race.

Yee is coming off a big block of training in Aus so I am not sure he will be top of the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not bad predictions if the groups come together and it is a big group heading out of the T2's. What I will be most interested in is the dynamic of the races, will the lead swimmers break the backs of the favorites and hold a gap off the bike? At the end of last season Luis used this tactic quite effectively, and I see no reason that the old Brownlee method would not be back in play.

Yes the others have realized this, but also some more uber swimmers have also seen what can happen, so I can still see a gap of 40 seconds between the lead and the Yee/Wild chase groups. And be looking for Wilde and to see if he can close that gap to the lead swimmers, he is so close sometimes that he can taste that break. If he can get in it, lights out for the chasers, Luis and Wilde together with 7 or 8 other motivated guys will be really hard to catch, especially without Blum leading that chase...

Saw an interview with Spivey a couple weeks ago, she seems to still be fighting that nagging cough from last year. But it only seemed to effect her a tiny bit, had some pretty great last season races even sick. Same dynamic for her, needs to get closer to the front of the swim, and get into an organized bike break. Many of the top women swimmers are also the best bikers, so miss that group and you are toast, make it and you have a good shot at the podium. Think Potter is in that boat, has either a great swim, or a so so one which leaves her chasing the entire day. And looking to see if she got her bike legs up to par just in case she makes that lead group, enough so that she can still use her top run. One of those last races she was in the front mix, but got shelled on the bike so bad it was race over at T2...
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some interesting analysis there.

I wonder what the dynamics are going to be early season for the athletes from really strong countries who have to have a focus on the test event versus the others.

Klamer and Kingma, Duffy and a few others will be guaranteed places assuming they have the rankings but US/UK/GER/FR etc. will have to race strategically or without tapering.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:

I wonder what the dynamics are going to be early season for the athletes from really strong countries who have to have a focus on the test event versus the others.

Klamer and Kingma, Duffy and a few others will be guaranteed places assuming they have the rankings but US/UK/GER/FR etc. will have to race strategically or without tapering.

With some obvious exceptions that I'm sure you are aware of (US/GB/FR/GER women have, what 4-5 in the top 30 at this point) managing the season properly really matters. Trying to stay race fit for 6 months is impossible, and could lead to injuries. So, for example I'll be totally if McElroy runs "30:36" this weekend even though he ran 30:06 at Abu 5 months ago (And I know that the course and conditions won't be the same hence the 30:36 in quotes).

I am really interested to see how BLUM races this season. No one is immune from the effects of over racing. If he goes full gas this season at every race and easily wins the world title...then I am predicting he will be another one of the long line of athletes who goes into the Olympic year as the heavy favorite but does not come away with a medal.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
I am really interested to see how BLUM races this season. No one is immune from the effects of over racing. If he goes full gas this season at every race and easily wins the world title...then I am predicting he will be another one of the long line of athletes who goes into the Olympic year as the heavy favorite but does not come away with a medal.
Apologies for such a shaky memory, but might you share the current list of "athletes who goes into the Olympic year as the heavy favorite but does not come away with a medal" please? Are you reaching back to pre-2012? I assume by "heavy favorite" you mean the clear favourite with odds way worse (for the betting person) than the second favourite?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLUM is sick and not starting this weekend, I wonder if it is something really bad. I say this because I have seen him race sick at least two times last season, he doesnt seem to be bothered by the normal cold type of illness. And it definitely will change the Raceday dynamic, his is the real motor in the chase group and without him it is a much bigger ask to bridge..
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
BLUM is sick and not starting this weekend, I wonder if it is something really bad. I say this because I have seen him race sick at least two times last season, he doesnt seem to be bothered by the normal cold type of illness. And it definitely will change the Raceday dynamic, his is the real motor in the chase group and without him it is a much bigger ask to bridge..

I am hoping that he isn't really sick but realizes that he needs to manage this long season well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
monty wrote:

I am hoping that he isn't really sick but realizes that he needs to manage this long season well.

One of the Brits was saying he has flu and is being intelligent.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Taylor injured? Was surprised not to see her on the start list for Abu Dhabi
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seth Rider is now out with Covid.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if they can sub in Chase this late, would be a brutal travel, but get him a start at least..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty, if gwen were racing tonight, how high on the podium do you think she would finish?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figure she would be between 25th and 30th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Wonder if they can sub in Chase this late, would be a brutal travel, but get him a start at least..

No they can't , if he wasn't there for the briefing he can't race. Also withdrawals go to the next person on the wait list if they have been in attendance for the briefing, not to the country.
Also, the start list already has a higher number of starters than it is meant to. (Assuming to put in a certain world champion who doesn't have the ranking for a start) I presume withdrawals are something they are hoping for to have the numbers closer to the normal stated level.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Mar 2, 23 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya figured it was a bit more complicated that just showing up, but his girlfriend is there racing, so I thought maybe he might have went over to be with her and could have been sitting on that waiting list. We know at least 2 have dropped out, probably a few more we dont know about too..

It would be fun to see him pitch up after last weeks race, he seems to be on form and this less than hour race would be great for a guy with his swim ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those that want a spoiler free watch, Womens race is first, Mens second.
Last edited by: inkbbl: Mar 3, 23 3:33
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was quite a long waitlist of athletes who were there for the briefing, given that we're now in the meat of Olympic Qualifying, everyone is desperate for starts at the WTCS level. Great racing in both races, some bad luck with a flat tire, and some savy racing (also some sloppy penalties too for a few, must be some early season rust). Some huge results for a few folks, and the GB and US Olympic selection is getting more complicated on the ladies side. Also, not sure if anyone has looked at the results and the asterisk around a certain Norwegian's result for a pending shoe protest based ON the new rules. So I guess that answers the question about how much that new rule would come into play...
Last edited by: Trauma: Mar 3, 23 5:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
There was quite a long waitlist of athletes who were there for the briefing, given that we're now in the meat of Olympic Qualifying, everyone is desperate for starts at the WTCS level. Great racing in both races, some bad luck with a flat tire, and some savy racing. Some huge results for a few folks, and the GB and US Olympic selection is getting more complicated on the ladies side. Also, not sure if anyone has looked at the results and the asterisk around a certain Norwegian's result for a pending shoe protest based ON the new rules. So I guess that answers the question about how much that new rule would come into play...

Can’t see an asterisk but assuming that is Iden?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, not an actual asterisk, but a note at the bottom where they list Mislawchuk's penalty, and that #41 (Iden)'s result is pending the result of a shoe protest.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty poor form if he did indeed wear shoes that were not permissible in the rules... seems strange if so... he has plenty of supporters and advisers around him that it couldn't be a mistake to wear the wrong shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone knows the shoes are illegal including Gustav. Racing in them would be 1) completely idiotic and 2) completely bushleague. Not even a good attempt at cheating.

Hopefully he was just racing in the new Echo Booms, which are legal, and there is a misunderstanding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next