Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off season research
Quote | Reply
I have a few questions about the gear I currently have and some stuff I want to get.

1. I have a QR Ultrajohn that's got about 3 seasons of use and 4 years old. This season it started rubbing on my neck and causing a nice 'burn'. What's the useful life of a wetsuit and is it time to replace it.

2. I want to get a new set of wheels. I have the Velomax wheels that came on my P2K that I can move to my road bike, and I want to replace the road bike wheels with a new set for my P2K. Is their a comprehensive resource that has reviewed the choices to be made. Criteria would be wheels that I can train with and not have to worry about tearing them up with normal training, but are light enough to race with. Cost between 500 and 1000 for the wheelset.

3. A trainer is in my future, I'm leaning towards a cycle-ops fluid, can anyone offer another better option within the same price range. I can't afford a CT (well I could but I would get my n*t*s cut off)
Quote Reply
Re: Off season research [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Dunno

2) Hed Alps are great race/train wheels. They are just an aluminum rim with a carbon fairing bonded on, so not as fragile as true carbon wheels. American Classic 420's - not as deep as the Alps, but supposedly more robust. Reynolds Alta - again, not as deep as the Alps, but much cheaper (also cheaper than AC 420's) and also apparently well made.

3) Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is the bomb. With the new $40 wattage computer, it has power output too, all for around $400 all in (trainer+ heavier flywheel + computer)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Off season research [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alps are all carbon rims. The Mavic Carbones are aluminum with a carbon fiber fairing.

"The Alps is our best spoked wheel to date.. The rims are structural carbon hoops with a lightweight alloy rim cap. An alloy rim section lets you brake confidently in any weather using any brake pad. The carbon is high modulus, laid over a high strength foam core, and the alloy cap is bonded to the rim. The spokes pass through the carbon to the alloy section. Anchoring the spokes at the alloy section keeps the rim light - no additional material is needed as a strain relief to counter the spoke tension."

www.hedcycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Off season research [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Mavic Carbones are aluminum with a carbon fiber fairing.
So are HED Jets - maybe that's what Rappstar was refering to.

Yeah, the Jet(s) definitely is(are). I thought the Alps was too. My bad. Thanks for the correction. The Jet40 is another one to add to the list. You can often get them cheap post Hawaii IM as they bring a bunch as demo sets. Alps are still more robust than all carbon wheels 'cause of the aluminum cap, though.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Nov 4, 04 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Off season research [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had three Cycleops fluid trainers, am on #4 right now, and estimate it will last about 6 more months, tops. All of the previous trainers have ultimately blown up on me, usually involving a hydraulic fluid soaked rug.

I actually like these trainers quite a bit, I just view them as having a 2 year max lifespan the way I use them (10-15 hrs per week, average in the winter.) A Blackburn mag was good for just over a year, as a comparison. That Blackburn did not, however, destroy the carpet in my house when it went.

Even though I can purchase bike equipment at wholesale, trainers are something that I pay retail for, at a place like REI, so that I can return them when I kill them.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Off season research [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now do you do you think the carbon is structural by way of hed utilizing carbon from an engineering standpoint, to make a very strong, light aero wheel?

Or might the carbon be "structural" in the sense that the uci says it has to be.

Honestly, i don't know for sure, just a thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Off season research [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben,

I don't know the UCI rule. Can you post it. I have the UCI manual, but it is 13 separate PDF's...

I believe (and this is only from having owned a pair and seeing construction in comparison to wheels like the Stingers/Zipps/etc.) that if you removed the carbon, the wheel would not be functional. The carbon replaces the inner part of the box/closed section of normal hoops. This makes it an integral part of the wheel structurally. Remove either the aluminum or the carbon, and the wheel breaks. I suspect that the carbon acts as a "stressed skin" to provide structural rigidity at a low weight cost, while also offering outstanding aerodynamics,

Quote Reply