Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Odd but frugal ideas (in honor of Friday the 13th)
Quote | Reply
I saw a forum in the past about using olive oil as a chain lube. Does this actually work? Would it work with any cooking oil? Has anyone had that odd mix of genius/insanity/possible stupidity to try?

It would be very cheap, easy, and positively more environmentally friendly. Might give it a go... Anyone else on board with this?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Odd but frugal ideas (in honor of Friday the 13th) [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the old friction facts list had extra virgin olive oil as like the 5th fastest lube, ahead of *many* actual, more expensive lubes

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Odd but frugal ideas (in honor of Friday the 13th) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Could warrant a real world application test.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it matter on the brand of olive oil? Some get pretty darn expensive.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Apr 13, 18 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used vegetable oil on a chainsaw in a pinch. Can be better for the environment because you aren't throwing oil off the saw and into the wilderness.

Will it work? Yes. Is it better than a dry chain? Yes. Is it a good idea... I don't think so.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Odd but frugal ideas (in honor of Friday the 13th) [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I know is - when I get my hands covered in olive oil/vegetable oil it is WAY harder to get off than oil I am using for the chainsaw, drill press, or truck parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I've run out of Body Glide and didn't have time to get more before a tri, I've used the local grocery store equivalent of ChapStick to lube up before putting on the wetsuit. Maybe a little more odd and frugal than using cooking spray as a substitute for Body Glide?

Back in the '70s a well-known runner and author (Tom Osler) recommending gluing pieces of car tire tubes to the heel area on running shoes to extend the life of the shoe. I did that for maybe a half dozen years.

Happy Friday the 13th!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 13, 18 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason Smith tested olive oil and a few other odd products. You could literally spit on a dry chain and it would lower friction, for a very short period of time. Any plant oils will not keep your chain clean, and would do more harm than good in a very short time. He also tested Mobil 1, which is a good motor oil, but would be a bad chain lube, as it is made to be used in an enclosed environment, and has very different properties.
Quote Reply