Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
October Fish Thread
Quote | Reply
Post 'em

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oct. 2: 6.3 mi run, 475 yd swim

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aug and sept not great months...

ok Oct started well.

6 x 250s dec 1-3,4-6 on 3:30 (easy interval bc there was kicking and breath work in there)
--
main set: (sadly I only had time for the 400s) . but here is the set.
400 on 4:40 -- 4:29
400 on 5 -- 4:28
400 on 5:20 -- 4:50 (used last 100 as wd)
---
300 on 3:30
300 on 3:45
300 on 4
---
200 on 2:20
200 on 2:30
200 on 3

bummed to have needed to get out but, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. (kids needed me!)

more to come this oct I hope

dave

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kids will be the death of us!! Mine screw up with my sleep, so they are killing me slowly, but surely. I seem to feel more off than good these days too, a kind of off day today, but went through the motions. I guess it is a good sign when your off day times, crush your good day times from a couple months ago, so there is that;

1500 easy build (21;54--7;28/7;18/7;09)
10x100 odds IM kick@2;15/evens buoy@1;45 steady(kicks-1;56 to 1;52/ swims-1;23's)
2500SCY
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
300S/200K/300P
10x100 on 1:30(1:16-18)
10x50 on 50(36-8)
4x50K on 1:15
6x100P on 1:30(1:13-7)
6x50P on 50(36-7)
100 easy
3500 SCY
Doing some shorter speed work to try to get of single speed rut from OWS oriented summer. Can’t swim faster until I start swimming faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats awesome about your times tho!
I actually did have a great couple of strings of working out this summer, including swimming. Which I managed a 3 x 500s holding 107s on moderately short rest 6:15 interval. That was a good day having the last 500 be a 5:32 and wanting more. Im not far from that now but def not there either. But yeah, these damn kids! lol.. fighting an upper respiratory infx now bc they both are sick! argh..

Going to work on kicking a bit more as well. I have spent the better part of this year during EVERY swim working on ONE good dolphin kick before i break out.
Just one. Gotta do one before I can do two. The process is interesting as now I can do that kick on my back holding a great streamline and ave 47 to 49 sec per 50 (with no cheating into or out of the walls.. IE no strokes just kick)... its been great.

One of my major problems is I grew up with the era of DPS being the be all end all of swimming. And since I am a sinker (as most triathletes tend to be) DPS is just shit. That whole paradigm is shit to be honest. So I have taken to swimming the warm up each day with fists. Helps me to have more continual turnover and not "grab" the water so hard which was my old dps stroke of reaching further than necessary. Its a huge adjustment, actually. NOT bc swimming w a fist is hard per se... but bc I now realize how monotonous and lame my swimming was. I see it in the other swimmers I swim with now. There used to be no difference (or little) diff in my warm up pace to my main set pace. Now I get lapped by folks who cant even make my intervals, during the warm up I mean.

Ok.. rambling .. sorry. Ha thanks for reading if you made it this far.
my .02 if you are a swimmer having issues going faster but have no issues WORKING HARDER for those same times, then something has to change. Warming up with fists has opened up an entire world of being able to have "gears" again swimming.
rant over ha

daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
There used to be no difference (or little) diff in my warm up pace to my main set pace. Now I get lapped by folks who cant even make my intervals, during the warm up I mean.

Welcome to the club! I'm usually DFL for warmup, even the slower lanes next to ours are faster. I swim with a few of people who seem to be able to hammer it as soon as they get in the pool. I don't understand how they can do that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Oct 3, 19 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha yeah thanks...
This is a phenomenon that I have noticed for years but never really had it sink in to analyze it and have a thoughtful and actionable plan in place to explore it.
I even run track w a couple of these folks regularly and I have been taking it upon myself to coach them without their asking (ha) and point out how we do a slow (9min per mile) warm up jog then drills with pick ups before we do intervals. Yet... in the pool, they (awkwardly) dive in and go their fastest 300 yards/meters off the bat and never swim that fast again.
daved

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3.9 mi run, 525 yd swim, 9.5 mi bike

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Oct 4, 19 10:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got super busy around noon, and dan and I ended up having exactly 34 minutes to swim, so this was the set;

10x200@3;10(2;47/45/44/43/43/42/42/40/42/39) roka shorts(still dont have a suit. )-;
2000SCY

Pool was hot for some reason, I'm cooked now for the day,,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2200m Got my volume up after TC. Think I'm going to try to get to 8 total hours of training for the winter and just chill until it's time to start building.

4x50 (1:09, 1:07, 1:07, 1:08) rest 15 sec
3x100 w/FINIS ISO Paddles (2:14, 2:18, 2:14) rest 20 sec
3x100 (2:04, 2:09, 2:06) rest 20 sec
2x200 w/FINIS ISO Paddles (4:29, 4:26) 45 sec
2x200 (4:25, 4:31) rest 45 sec
1x400 (9:29) rest 1 min
1x100 (2:31) rest 30 sec
2x50 (1:13, 1:17) rest 15 sec

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.6 mi run, 1.25 mi walk, 500 yd swim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was still cooked from the hot water the day before, but dan wanted me to pace him again, he is getting ready for the ironman practice swim. He doesnt believe in tapers, so he did his best set year to date. I also loaned him an old DeSoto Tri suit, not a full blown swim skin, but it did the trick.

3x100@1;40(1;25s)

10x200@3;10(I pulled super easy for 9, swam 10--(2;46/47's)
4x50@1;00, odds breast(44/43)
2500SCY

This was yesterday, the day before, dan started at 2;50, with a big fade to 3;07 on last one. Yesterday he started at 2;47, and did 2;49.5 on last one, all inside of that. Goes to show how much a tight fitting suit can help, even a trisuit made to be worn the rest of the race. In my old testing, the top skins were only about 30% faster than a tight fitting Tri suit. 3 seconds for swim skins, 2 seconds for tri suits, so pretty dam good, and you have no time penalty taking anything off in transition..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He doesnt believe in tapers, so he did his best set year to date.
LOL. For swimming only, or all sports?

9.3 mi run 90:14, 1025 yd swim

10 x 100 on 1:35
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Was still cooked from the hot water the day before, but dan wanted me to pace him again, he is getting ready for the ironman practice swim. He doesnt believe in tapers, so he did his best set year to date. I also loaned him an old DeSoto Tri suit, not a full blown swim skin, but it did the trick.

3x100@1;40(1;25s)

10x200@3;10(I pulled super easy for 9, swam 10--(2;46/47's)
4x50@1;00, odds breast(44/43)
2500SCY

This was yesterday, the day before, dan started at 2;50, with a big fade to 3;07 on last one. Yesterday he started at 2;47, and did 2;49.5 on last one, all inside of that. Goes to show how much a tight fitting suit can help, even a trisuit made to be worn the rest of the race. In my old testing, the top skins were only about 30% faster than a tight fitting Tri suit. 3 seconds for swim skins, 2 seconds for tri suits, so pretty dam good, and you have no time penalty taking anything off in transition..

Isn't the Kona practice swim tomorrow? Tell Slowman to get his ass over to Kona. Will he have a bike and if so, hopefully I can ride with him. If not, hopefully he has interest in more swims.

Today's swim was an endurace set:

500m warmup
500m as 5x100m (25 m dolphin kick-75m large paddles hard)
8x500m as (200IM + 100 free + 50 fly + 25 back + 25 breast + 100 free)
200m cooldown
total 5200m. Total workout time was 1:39 so was going a bit faster than 10 min per 500m on average including rest.

In the main set, I did my fly and breast stroke legs hard. back and free at an aerobic pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCY

WU

50's on :50 until failure. (Made a good amount. Did not make goal of 30.)

WD

Quick in and out.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am toying with this 3800m workout this week as I am going to Kona for some training, fun, sun and IM Hawaii viewing (although staying at home and watching the live stream is probably better)

Freestyle 1900m to turnaround buoy from Dig Me Beach. On the way back, 1900m IM split up as 30 strokes fly-60 back-30 breast-60 free and repeat as many times as I need to get back. That's rougly a 200m IM for me given that there are no walls. Depends on swells though.

Let's see.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did my last race of the season – the WOWSA 10k OWS in Redondo Beach. This race was created to promote the venue as the 2028 Olympic course. Well, they have some work to do – more buoys! And, I have no clue how they’re going to manage feed stops on an out and back course. They were supposed to have three. I only saw the one at the 5k turnaround.
They had weird age divisions, mine being 51-99 years. I’m 63. Probably not much chance of winning. And, this is how I ended up: 29th overall, 17th male and 7th in my division. I clocked 6.86 miles (very long!) in 2:53:31. Water was 69-70° and very calm. No real current either way. I relaxed the first half and tried to push the second. Nevertheless, I slowed down. I hadn’t been training for this distance with just daily 2400 or so yard ocean swims. So, I’m pretty satisfied with my personal result.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a great trip out there!

Today was not all that hard but couldnt get the engine firing.. hoping tomorrows distance day goes better.

Primer set:
1 x 125 as BC every 3rd stroke for 75 and then every 5th for 50 on 1:50
1 x 125 as middle 25 over kick while swimming on 1:40
Repeat 5 times

Main Set:
4 x 100 on 1:25 hold pace (108s for me including the flip)
4 x 25 max sprint on 30
1 x 100 on 1:25 hold pace again (same as above)
4 x 50 on :40 hold pace (33s with a flip)
repeat 3 times
-----

ALL SCY

daved

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well-done!
47.1 mi bike yesterday
today 5.5 mi run, 625 yd swim

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on WOWSA Swim. I’m impressed by anyone who swims that long/that fast - - at any age.

SCY
1200 in 16:22
200 IM kick
5x200P on 3:00 (2:31-4)
5x100P on 1:30 (1:14-6)
4x50K on 1:15
6x50 on 60 (36s and one 37)
100 easy
3500 total
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, 2 days in a row... ouch for day 2 and it was a distance day:

Main set:

400 on 4:50 -- did 4:28
500 on 5:50 -- did 5:32
300 on 4:20 -- easy 3:40
---- (no extra rest but helped mentally to see it written this way)
300 on 3:40 -- 3:14 (too fast)
400 on 4:40 -- 4:28
200 on 3:20 -- 2:25
---
Then 2 rounds of:
200 on 2:20 -- did 2:10
300 on 3:30 -- 3:17
100 on 1:30 -- 1:25 then missed the start of round 2 ugh
---
(scy obviously bc if it were meters... yeah... not happening)

While not my best day and not realizing that the last round was twice through, I kind of screwed up. I missed the first 50 of the 200 on round 2 .. otherwise made the set with time to spare. Nursing an upper respitory infx still and felt the need to cough after every breath. Hopeful Ill be better for next week's episode of "tues dist day".

all for now.

daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5.5 mi run, 375 yd swim, 4.7 mi run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run, 1525 yd swim

15 x 100 on 1:35
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5.7 mi run, 375 yd swim, 9.3 mi bike

Quote Reply

Prev Next