Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OWS with an Inhaler?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone with asthma ever done an open water swim while carrying an inhaler in a waterproof case on their person?

If so - how does it work? Best option for carrying case? Any tips? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: OWS with an Inhaler? [BigDoeRehab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigDoeRehab wrote:
Has anyone with asthma ever done an open water swim while carrying an inhaler in a waterproof case on their person?

If so - how does it work? Best option for carrying case? Any tips? Thank you.

This doesn’t seem workable at all. Are you talking about an albuterol inhaler? Why not take a few hits while you’re still with your stuff before starting the swim. I’m asthmatic and couldn’t imagine stoping swimming, treading water while I take a puff or two then start swimming again. I’d be totally out of air at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have carried an inhaler for the kind of outing that would include a small daypack if taking place on land.

Like swim-commute to and from work (one of my dumber yet somehow still ongoing ideas). And swim-adventure, ie swim across a lake, take a hike, swim back across a lake. I take one of those fluorescent buoys (for boat visibility) with a pouch for t-shirt, sandals, phone, inhaler, etc.

First, regarding access to an inhaler in the water, I can tell you that a wet inhaler still works, shake out the water, shake it again, use it.

Luckily, I am a very good responder to modern asthma meds. I don't carry anything in a competitive event. But in the olden days, when we only had theophylline and ?alupent?, wow, I suffered and frankly had a few near death experiences. Back then, I experimented with several methods for carrying an inhaler while swimming. What I remember working was modifying the plastic case to accept a velcro strap that I secured around my ankle.

Second, if you have, say, unpredictable exercise induced asthma not currently controlled well enough to ensure a trouble-free swim, then I recommend ...

--reassess your controller meds, consider talking to your doctor about options including LABA long acting beta agonist ie formoterol

--reassess your warm up, ie jog before the race, use albuterol inhaler as necessary, induce a refractory period

Here is a WADA link for asthma TUE if you need to have a conversation with your doctor.

https://www.wada-ama.org/...ma#resource-download
Last edited by: toddstr: Jun 18, 23 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: OWS with an Inhaler? [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on toddstr's post.

Warming up a lot helps me.

I carry the inhaler in my suit without any case -- in the rear pocket of a tri suit or just shoved up the front leg (that way it's available for the whole race easily).

As toddstr says, just shake it out. I also blow forcefully into the inhaler to clear it out.

If I toed the line and thought, on that day, "I'll need this inhaler in the water," I would not race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to what others have said...

I use my inhaler 30 mins before going into the water - that's usually good enough for me. I'll put it in my trisuit pocket and zip my wetsuit up. That way I have it if I need it (and am desperate).

I do have friends that have been successful at tucking the inhaler inside the neck of their wetsuit. This is easier access (and you can use it while holding onto a kayak).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i run 3 open water session weekly here in Penticton, bc and some swimmers will have there inhaler on the beach in case.

Overall, we have better results with them taking a dose before the swim start. If they wait to run into issue during the session..the session is already compromise and they wont magically recover to 100% during the session by taking a dose.

take it before, unless you have a specific reason for wanting to carry it?

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply