Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT Progress Report. Treo 650 purchase and use.
Quote | Reply
Some of you expressed an interest on my recent purchase of a Palm Treo 650 smartphone.

-Got it the other day. Read up on the use of it and bought two excellent books on using the Treo 650 and tips and tricks with it. Both recommended and more helpful than the user manual, which is also good.

Service from Cingular sales is good, but takes a lot of time. I devoted 4 hours + yesterday to getting the phone activated and trying to establish the various accounts. Cingular is like the C.I.A.- no one person knows all of what is going on. Sales does not know what data package to sell you for a smartphone, tech services cannot tell you what services are available to purchase and warrranty can;t process a return on a phone younger than 30 days. Very compartmentalized. As a result, you will be on the phone with them a long time. They do a fine job and are very helpful though, it just takes an investment in time and patience.

The Treo 650 is an excellent telephone and organizer. Text messaging is superb and the keyboard is killer. I have sent and recieved about 15 texts todays with buddies and vendors and my massage therapist and it is super seamless.

Phone is killer too. The speaker phone is nice, dialing is easy, dial from the contact list downloaded from my desktop Palm organizer app.

You can take photos with you and other fun stuff, mine is already filled with photos of my cat and Erika Christensen.

The phone I received could not access the web. I spent about 1.5 hours on the phone with tech support and they finally said it is one of three things: Bad SIM card, Bad phone or area not serviced. They told me to go 5 miles away and try again. I did. Nothing. I'm glad that didn't work because I need wireless internet everywhere, not 5 miles away from here.

They fedexed me a new phone overnight, it is here now, with a new SIM card. I have to call customer service to migrate the phone number over and then test the new unit. It is no problem becasue I sync once from my desk top or do an Infra-Red transfer of the contents from my current (supposedly defective) Treo over to the new one that hopefully will access the web.

Interestingly, the Treo 650 will have a near-future software update to enable it as a wireless modem. Plug it into your laptop and boom- full access to the web via wireless, cellular connection. Cool.

I will work on getting the phone up and running tonight after we close and trying to get the web capability on line.

All in all, web issues notwithstanding, I really like the device. It has significantly enhanced my ability to communicate with vendors via messaging (I am not a big phone person) and the speakerphone is nice. I can talk on the phone better with a speakerphone.

In general, I like it very much and am looking forward to resolving the web access challenge.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT Progress Report. Treo 650 purchase and use. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the info.

Did you migrate from the Treo 600?

Are you using the Bluetooth capabilities such as a headset?
Quote Reply
Re: OT Progress Report. Treo 650 purchase and use. [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naw, I had a crappy old Nokia cell, like, the cheapest one. I haven't used any bluetooth stuff yet. I have a hard time hearing with anything in my ear.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT Progress Report. Treo 650 purchase and use. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you transfer your old number across?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: OT Progress Report. Treo 650 purchase and use. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not yet.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it be out of action when we arrive on June 17th or do I keep it on my cell?

Quote Reply
Re: OT Progress Report. Treo 650 purchase and use. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to keep that cell number since a million people have it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand that. Speak to you soon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been drooling over the 650 for a while. Had a 600, lost it when I was travelling. Didn't bother getting a new one cause I switched carriers and didn't want to pay the price for a new one (bought the first one used from a friend). I'll have a 650 some day!

I now have Cingular service. I love it, had a lot let problems then my last carrier, plus I am a big fan of gsm tech cause I like to change phones alot. Now I don't have to pay the "activation" charge, just put in my sim chip.

I have wireless internet and text messaging on my phone. When I called to get it, I told them I did not have a smartphone, and got the $19.99 MediaWorks package. Unlimited internet, and text messaging. They have another package for the smartphone, that is like $60 or $70 buck for unlimited. Same package, but its for a smart phone so they charge you more, just FYI

Two great sites for Treo info:
www.treonauts.com
www.treocentral.com

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logitech makes a nice bluetooth headset, I got one for $41 on Amazon, it works great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply