Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT - update on my puppy :-(
Quote | Reply
Well, I am taking her into the vet today for the last time. I need to put her to sleep. She has not eaten really in two days...when she does she vomits. She drinks water, and vomits (on the carpet and that is even worse)- I need to explain that a bit. This is the best behaved dog ever, anyone who meets her would agree...when she gets sick and vomits in the house she knows that is "bad" (though I have not at all scolded her for that since she has been sick). I even take her outside (carry) before I steam clean the carpet cause the steam cleaner makes her have this guilty look on her face. She wants so bad to please me, and is to sick to...she wants to do whats right, but cant control vomiting (and that upsets her more).

Well, I am such a sack of shit that I cant even type cause I am crying so damn much. This has got to be the hardest thing ever...(at least for me).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: OT - update on my puppy :-( [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this. Why can't the vet help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, no doubt this is awful. don't be ashamed for cying--you love the little thing!

it's a sad sad story, and i'll be thinking about you. i'm sorry about all of this, and certainly feel for you. it takes all strength to do something like this.

good luck, let your pup go to heaven now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rec10,

I'm so sorry to hear about this, especially since your puppy is clearly a member of your family. It's definitely a super hard thing to do and I wish you the strength and comfort to make it through a difficult time.

Hang in there.

Jack
Quote Reply
Re: OT - update on my puppy :-( [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry to hear this. Why can't the vet help?
Kidney Failure

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
our dog had the same symptoms a few years ago. they found he had eaten something that was blocking his stomach and he was not able to keep anything down. he was in the hospital for 3 days with a tiny little iv to give him the fluids he needed. then, he just came back, started to eat and get some energy back. the vet said he never saw anything pass, but the blockage was gone off an xray.

have you had xrays?
Quote Reply
Re: OT - update on my puppy :-( [jackrobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel for you, I have always liked dogs better than people. They are always happy to see you, never complain, and you can have the worst day but when you come home there is a happy dog to greet you. Your puppy didn't happen to eat any of this dog food did it??

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/22/dog.deaths/?section=cnn_topstories
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Chip, I'm so sorry to hear this... it is so hard when some one we care for is suffering, in pain, or just downright miserable. Big hug coming for you.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip, I'm sorry. Not fair at all. Be strong getter her there, then let it all out on the drive back - pull over if you must. Dedicate IM LP to her and think of her often when the training gets tough.

Quote | Reply
Chip, I know there is not a damn thing any of us can say that will help, so just know that the vet's office will be very crowded with all the ST animal lovers standing behind you.

Many of the best things in life come with wet, cold noses.

j
Quote Reply
Re: OT - update on my puppy :-( [count] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X-Rays, yes, as well as PET scan (favor from a buddy who is an ER MD). The blood tests speak louder than any X-Ray, as do the urine tests. Kidenys are at less than 10% - nothing they can do that I am willing to do. A dog will not understand dialisis and what not. She deserves to be happy and full of love, not tied down to an IV so that I have something warm to cuddle with. She deserves better than I could ever give her...and let me tell you, she was SPOILED her whole life, SPOILED

Custom bed with her name embroidered into it

Custom dog dishes

9 - Coach (brand) collars...depending on the weather and or mood.

Got to go to IronMan with me...and on and on....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear it man. Loosing a dog sucks. Real bad. Probably worse than ditching a girlfriend. Dogs don't stab you in the back or have idiot friends.
You are doing the right thing.
Wish you the very best recovery this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Losing a loved one of any type hurts.

I, like you, am a pet owner. We know when we pick them (or they pick us, depending on perspective), we know it's not forever. But, we know that the love and companionship shared by both is worth the eventual ending of the relationship. Whether we're talking about pets or fellow humans, it really is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. To go through life without feeling a deep sense of love would be the most tragic situation.

I'm sorry you have to make this tough decision. I'm glad that you're making the decision that is least painful/suffering to the dog.

As for the crying ... brother, Love changes a man. That's love's job. I've probably cried more since becoming a father than I have cried my entire life. I recently saw the ER epsiode of when the doctor (Noah's character) and his wife lost their baby. That would have had little effect on me 5 years ago. But, the other night I cried so hard, I thought my contacts were gonna fall out. Love changes who you are, what you feel, and how you see the world. Love is everything.

Your post is reminded my of Doug Stern and his son. I have no idea how parents move on after losing a child. I can't even imagine.

Good Luck, R10C. We'll be thinkin' about ya.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am. This is such a freaking horrible, painful, complete bullshit thing that anyone should have to go through. Cry all you want, yell all you want, do whatever you want to do. ONly time will make you feel better. I wish I could give you a big hug.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sucks. Truly. But there comes a time when it's the best thing to do, and that is where you are. Time softens it, but the pain never completely goes away. Even when you know it's the best thing to do. Cry. That's the best thing for you. If you didn't, you wouldn't be human.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip

So sorry man - think of the good times - you know that there were SOOOOOO many of them - and try not to focus on how she is now. Time will help heal the sadness - as crazy as that sounds right now.

My heart goes out to you brother
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip, I'm so sorry. Dogs are far better companions than people, and the price we pay for that is that we hold on to them for a lot less time. I'm usually a hard-ass, but dogs always get me -- my dog is unbelievably important to me.

I once saw this quote: "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithfull and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. "

Seems to me you've fulfilled that with her. Hold her in your arms when the vet comes, her cheek against yours. It'll be incredibly tough for you, but the comfort for her in her last minutes will be unmeasurable, as her last breaths that she takes in are will hold the scent of her beloved master.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can completely empathize. My shepherd of 14 years was put to sleep last April. She used to run 6+ miles with me, glued to my left leg, no leash needed. She was truly my best friend. The end was terribly hard, her brain was 100% but her body had completely failed her. You have to do the right thing, no matter how hard it is. I've never cried so hard. While no dog will ever replace her, in August we got a 5 mo. golden retriever. It's a challenge getting used to a puppy all over again, after years of a perfectly behaved dog, it's still an amazing things. Dogs love unconditionally. Here are a list of my favorite sayings......keep the memories of your puppy running around, smiling, chasing balls, etc. alive.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead
> of his tongue. -Anonymous
>
> Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are
> wonderful. -Ann Landers
>
> If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where
> they went. -Will Rogers
>
> There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
> -Ben Williams
>
> A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves
> himself. -Josh Billings
>
> The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. -Andy Rooney
>
> We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can
> spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man
> has ever made. -M. Acklam
>
> Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people,
> who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
> -Sigmund Freud
>
> I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious
> cult. -Rita Rudner
>
> A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three
> times before lying down. -Robert Benchley
>
> Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.
> -Franklin P. Jones
>
> If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I
> have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons. -James
> Thurber
>
> If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise. -Unknown
>
> My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a
> can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money. -Joe Weinstein
>
> Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come
> back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork,
> half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
> -Anne Tyler
>
> Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
> and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein
>
> If you pick up a starving dog and make him p! rosperous, he will not
> bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
> -Mark Twain
>
> You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a
> look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of
> that!' - Dave Barry
>
> Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger
> Caras
>
> If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your
> pocket and then give him only two of them. -Phil Pastoret
>
> My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I
> am.

> Every day is Saturday to a dog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so so sorry to hear this. one of the hardest things we must do as petparents for sure.

my thoughts are with you

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip, I know exactly what you are going through. The thing that got me through it was to believe that the quality of life for my best friend was declining fast and it was not fair to her to put her through any more just so I could have a little more time with her. It was most definitely the most difficult thing I have ever done, and I cried the entire way home. All I can say is best wishes and think of her often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My heart goes out to you. We had to have our 20 year old cat put to sleep last week (kidney failure, abcessed tooth/infection, couldn't eat or drink) and it broke my heart. You know, as we did, that you are doing the most merciful thing possible. Cry without shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your dog. When my "puppy" of 16 years had to be put down, I cried like a baby. Their demise can be very traumatic. It took me over a year before I committed to another dog in the family. I needed to feel like I was getting a new dog and not finding a replacement for the other one.

Lou Battaglia

Why didn't I retire last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through what you're going through.

There are no words. My heart goes out to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry. I know how hard that is and I will be thinking about you and your lilttle guy. You did the best you could and sometimes that isn't enough. At least you can make sure he is loved when he leaves the world. It is just so sad he spent his short life so sick. Give your puppy a hug for us
Quote Reply

Prev Next