Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium..
Quote | Reply
at titaniumera.com. Only 65 bucks. Tired of wearing that heavy gold one. Now it matches my QR PicanTi.

Mike P.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you can explain your SO what you did with all the money you got for the golden ring when you traded "down".

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's very fly!! Do they make one in carbon?

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Mar 22, 05 19:24
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's funny you ask that.

i'm in the process of ring shopping and i asked the EXACT same question to the stuffy ring seller...he was not amused.

but titanium bands are very reasonable...pretty cool and very lightweight...good lateral stiffness.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just one thing to look out for or be aware of. IF your finger begings to swell, take off the ti band immediately. A lot of emergency rooms do not have the tools to cut it off, while they do have them to cut a gold or platinum band off.

Just something to think about.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [Ancient1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoinks...that's a great point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A lot of emergency rooms do not have the tools to cut it off"

Good reason to a) go carbon and b) never hit your wife...

Cuz they may not be able to cut the Ti ring off, but she just might cut off somethin' else.

Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i asked the EXACT same question to the stuffy ring seller...he was not amused."

You need to show Ancient1's post to the jeweler and see if he changes his tune.

Besides, a CF ring would match my Oakley's...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be certain that you are really sure about your ring size... Bad news about titanium bands is that you can't resize them! So better yet, get a couple rings in different sizes for your fat days!

Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [txtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.titaniumarts.com/content/rings.html

They can do custom anodization for your ti bike too.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why bunnyman ain't crazy about CF rings:

1) Rings get BEAT UP. This would not bode well for CF, as it is not shatter resistant or even scratch resistant.

2) Nobody knows how long it would take for the epoxy to wear away (unless it is that really wowie neato cool medical CF) and get fibres into your finger.

3) Repair and sizing would be a nightmare, unless you want a new ring.

4) Some of your most abusive and abrasive sufraces known are in the hands, including your sweat, as well as fingerprints, dirt, and other things you don't even want to think about.

Granted, a CF ring would be cheaper than Ti.

Let me qualify this with the fact I DID make a carbon-wrapped silver ring. Best of both worlds- decently durable, a non-reactive metal, and cool CF weave. It looks pretty cool, as well. I thought that it would be the absolute BEST application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, titanium is tough to cut, but not impossible. IE, a standard hacksaw cuts through titanium, but unlike on aluminum or carbon where it can cut several of them, it'll go dull fast on titanium.
Cheers,
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It had better be a brand new blade, at that!!!

Been there, done that, destroyed a normally wonderful cutting tool trying to trim a piece of Ti (burnt it out).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I find THE girl, my wedding band will be a surprise design. I will cut off the derailleur hanger of my Bianchi XL Ti (my most prized and most heavily used bike), rendering it usable only as a single speed (enough cheesy symbolism anyone?). I'll melt it down and create some kick ass design.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that the "standard" ring cutter that most ER's have can't even scratch a ti ring. I think I read that in Bicycling around 12 years ago, but I doubt ring cutter technology has changed all that much.

Now... I wonder if could sell the (future) wife on "but honey, steel is real!" ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So let's see the CF/Silver ring, Douglas. Remember forum rule no.1: Until there are pictures, it doesn't exist!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to get a new band they cut my original off after that wreck a couple of years ago. My wife and I both now have the titanium ring from "The Abyss". Nice rings. They're now about a year and a half old. The only drawback is that you CANNOT cut off a Ti ring, at least with the tools the emergency folks will have on hand for such a purpose. If you somehow injure that hand...remember to take the ring off before your hand swells!
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stupid tiny url website is acting up. I will try again later.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you still whining about Aluminum? I would be glad to make you a Aluminum ring,hell i will even Anadize it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A titanium ring would be cool and it was what I was looking for 5 years ago when I got married. But, after reading that you can't cut off a ti ring I'm glad I didn't get one since I broke my finger in a basketball game and didn't take my ring off right away. The finger finally swelled up to a point where I needed to get the ring cut off at the ER, I don't know what would have happened if I had to leave the ring on.
Last edited by: burgerdp: Mar 23, 05 5:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just one thing to look out for or be aware of. IF your finger begings to swell, take off the ti band immediately. A lot of emergency rooms do not have the tools to cut it off, while they do have them to cut a gold or platinum band off.

Just something to think about.

From e-weddingbands.com:

Q: Can a Titanium ring be cut off?

A: Yes! Please be aware that in any situation where it might become necessary to cut off a Titanium ring - for instance excessive weight gain, hand injury, etc., - cutting through titanium will be more difficult than cutting through gold or platinum. However, it can still be done. In our own jewelry shop, we used a separating disc and flexible shaft tool-items commonly found in nearly all jewelry shops that work with gold, silver, and platinum--to cut through one of our 5mm domed and comfort fit titanium rings. Cutting it all the way through took only 20 seconds. Next, we contacted our local hospital emergency room and asked if they were equipped to cut off a titanium ring in an emergency. Most hospital emergency rooms are prepared to handle almost anything, and ours assured us that it would be no problem for them.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Upgraded wedding band to titanium.. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I can tell you that Portsmouth Naval Hospital was barely prepared to cut off my 24k Gold band, let alone my new titanium band. Their ONLY cutter was broken and barely able to be used. They would NOT have been able to deal with a titanium band.

Ken, I noticed you got that snippet from a band retailer...no coincidence they would claim that it shouldn't be a problem...eh?

All the same...I wouldn't let that exceedingly remote need deter me from considering a titanium band.
Quote Reply

Prev Next