Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT--car advice needed, Ford 500
Quote | Reply
eah, my stupid pontiac grand prix is acting like a brat. seems like i'm dumping money into the bitch every time i turn around. i'm sick of it, and it's got to stop.

so, with running a small business and all, i was thinking about leasing a car--the Ford Five Hundred, Limited (silver frost with black leather interior). I need a sedan style for business. and no offense to anyone, but my husband would prefer a Ford as his brother works there.

anybody have any feedback on this thing? it sure is purty...

meow.

kittycat
Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go for fuel economy -

get the new Felt instead, it's cheaper and you'll get more training in, as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word on the street among the Ford guys who come in the shop is the Ford 500 and the Mercury Montego are five stars: *****. It is a solid vehicle.

When the engineers and vendors are i the store and you ask them about a vehicle candidly they are mostly pretty honest. They have had some obviously honest things to say about other vehicles from the company they work for, but they glow about the 500 and the Montego.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a Camry. What ever you do, if you dont want your car to be a brat in a couple years DONT buy American. Who cares what people think about the 500 today...that car is brand damn new...look at what people are saying about the Contour...they LOVED it when it came out...now it is typical US trash auto, just two short years later.

How about a nice Maxima? Volvo S40? Accord? Altima?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [frogonawire 6.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, too bad i can't pick up my clients with the felt. i don't have many CEO's that would enjoy hitching a ride on the back of a tri bike.

damn. maybe i'll just have to get both.

:P
Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that was the same glow they had with the Ford Craptour and the Mercury Mistake. As a buddy of mine who is a mechanic at a Ford dealership calls them. Said that the only Ford he would ever consider is a F-250 of bigger, or a Mustang GT (but not the Slowbra).

Last edited by: record10carbon: Aug 11, 05 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend just got a fully loaded Maxima last week. Beautiful car, under $27K.

I still say, save money, get the Felt!

except it's a one-seater...

Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah, i'll look at a volvo>it is in the Ford family. it'll be leased, so i don't have to deal with repairs myself.

no offense to anyone (my husband is an american car enthusiast) but his 16,000 mile Dodge minivan (for his work) already has a passenger door lock broke. see, it starts with the little shit like this.

my grand prix has been a nightmare. a flatout nightmare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's because it's a grand prick!

I had a GM car once, the dashboard fell off after 20K miles!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol. that sucks something awful!! and the prices of cars! unreal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volvos are nice, but unless you must stay in the Ford family, at least take a look at the Maxima. The loaded version does the key in the ignition, memory seat/steering wheel lift up/down thing. Pretty cool for a budding Canadian media star (even if you do live in Ohio)!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it'll be leased, so i don't have to deal with repairs myself.

As long as the lease term is no longer than the basic warranty; you will still be responsible for maintenance and anything not covered under warranty. Lease longer than the basic warranty (short term leases are really the only way to go, especially since just about all the manufacturers have subvented lease programs) and you're on your own...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw a new Maxima up in huge flames on I-90 last month.
I know they are great cars,but if memory serves me right the SE model needs Premium Unleaded, which is 2.70/gal right now and climbing.

Since Ford was the sponsor for IMLP they had their new cars at the expo.
The new Fusion looks very nice.Like a Maxima almost.Its got the most Euro styling of any domestic yet.

If I were going to buy American, it would be a Ford.
I had a 68 Mustang coupe w/ a 302 back in the day, what a car!

The new Volvo S40R Turbo is a rocket!
Can't kill a Volvo.....once you own one you'll be hooked.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd like to, but think this would cause problems with my husband (cars ain't a battle I care about, so no sense in fighting over it. in reality i just want to go from A to B and look good doing it). i don't give a shit about bells and whistles anyway. just more crap to break later on.
Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That premium gas argument is a weak one at best...at .20 cents more than "regular", being as you get better milage, and it keeps your engine cleaner...what is $2.00 a fill up? All my cars have always got Premium, if they needed it or not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Ford dealer I highly support your decision to look into the Ford 500. it is a solid vehicle that will provide years of dependable service. We sell lots of them and I haven't had one unhappy 500 owner yet. Don't listen to Record "I only believe in imports" Carbon says. American cars are much different today than 5 years ago.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

How about a nice Maxima? Volvo S40? Accord? Altima?

Dear god, do not get an S40. The tally on this car to date.

1) New catalytic converter

2) New front suspension

3) New vacuum pump (recalled because when the vacuum pump fails, hey you have no brakes, surprise) Discovered as I suddenly lost my brakes approaching an intersection and sailed right through. The recall notice came the next day.

4) A check engine light that came on about 4 minutes after leaving the dealer's lot and has been on the better part of 5 years now despite having every bit of "electronic sensor" in the car replaced, rewired, or reprogrammed. (This would be necessary in PA, because the car can't pass emissions inspection each year with the check engine light on).

5) New brake pads about every 10K miles because Volvo engineered them too small.

It goes on and on.

Please, I beg you with all that is holy, do not buy this crap car.

To be fair to Volvo, I also own a V70XC which has been problem free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sick of american crap also, dumping an '02 Grand Cherokee for this '71 FJ40 - inline 6, no a/c, no p/s, basically nothing to break (so nothing I can't fix). Your clients would love it (except in the hot summer).

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
American cars are much different today than 5 years ago.

Say it isn't so...you mean they've gotten even worse?!

_________
Quote Reply
Re: OT--car advice needed, Ford 500 [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
American cars are much different today than 5 years ago.

Say it isn't so...you mean they've gotten even worse?!

Wow...too funny. You sense of humour is out of this world. Thanks for insulting hundreds of thousands of domestic automotive industry employees. Try reading an industry journal which just announced the new JD Power quality studies. Once you have done that you are qualified to post on this topic. Short of that...f*ck off.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahahaha!

guys, really don't argue (well, not unless you really want to...LOL). but i hate shopping for things like this. i feel like running to the dealer and just getting it overwith. please, for my sake, try to make this as painless for me as possible and just give me your feedback without punching each other out (or at least wait a sec for me to make some popcorn...:) . you see, i'm a new car virgin.....this is all so intimidating to me. rats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a Chevy and a Volvo(XC70) and love both of them...can't say enough good things about both. I can see myself staying with these brands for a long time.

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, humor us. Tell me how much you'd be willing to offer for a trade-in on my '02 Jeep GC Ltd that cost $35K new. or tell KC how much you'd offer her for either her Grand Prix, or her husband's minivan.

Resale value is a reflection of quality.

Oh, I went to JD Power and compared the ratings of a 2005 Ford Explorer and a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. Ford got 3stars for mechanical quality and 4stars overall. Toyota got 5stars for mechanical quality and 5stars overall. What were you trying to teach me by going to that site - how bad your Ford cars are?

do I still have to f**k off now that I've done my research on your recommended site?

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeez, thanks for pointing out that JD Power site...

I just looked up the car KC is interested in - 3stars overall. According to the JD Powers ratings that means "does not really stand out"

_________
Quote Reply

Prev Next