Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT: Nissan Z
Quote | Reply
Anyone own or drive one of these? I have been driving a Jeep or my Xterra for a long time, and I'm thinking of trying something new and based on nothing other than looks and the fact that I've never had a sports car, I'm looking at the Z. Would appreciate any feedback.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Nissan Z [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't help you with the latest Nissan Z.

The best ever Z made by Nissan was a 1971 Datsun 240Z. Man i loved that car. Now that was a true sports car!
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Nissan Z [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a buddy when I was younger that had the 300Z right when the new body style came out in the early 90s. that thing kicked ass. I may not pull the trigger on this, but I'm interested enough to ask questions. Wranglers and Xterras are nice, but they don't exactly haul ass. ;-)

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan - go drive one! They drive great, fast with nice torque and sound. Interior is awful though. Then, go drive a Mazda RX-8 (about the same price). You may thank me later ....

Quote | Reply
Slowguy,

I am all for sports cars but do some research on this one first before you buy. I remember reading in Autoweek (I think it was Autoweek) about some 350Z's leaving the factory with incorrect settings on their suspension. This was causing the cars to wear down one tire (I think it was back left) MUCH faster than the others and causing the owners alot of headaches. They narrowed it down to one plant in Japan however and I think there was a recall. Just something I wanted to make you aware of.

Brent
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Nissan Z [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Slowman, just regular old slowguy, but thanks for the info. I'll look at the Mazda too.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definately check out the Mazda's also. My brother had an RX-7. Cool car.

My brother now has a Mini-Cooper S. We both had the originals way back when, but the new one is a Rover/BMW product. Now that's a really cool car. Check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've test driven both this and the Infiniti G35 Coupe. To the discriminating driver, the Z definitely handles better, but for all around performance and luxury, I'd take the G35. One thing in particular I didn't like about the Z was that you can't get a moonroof on it--something about the slope of the roofline being too sharp to accomodate one. That's a must have for me and the roadster, while very sweet, just isn't practical here in the midwest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bro, if you want to boogie, look no further than the Subaru Impreza WRX STi

The WRX STI received several significant chassis performance enhancements for 2005, including wider wheels. For 2006, the addition of a steering sensor input to the DCCD All-Wheel Drive system enhances power distribution response by more accurately relaying the car’s cornering situation. The WRX STI is based on the Impreza WRX platform but is completely re-engineered to provide even higher levels of acceleration, handling and braking performance that challenge the world’s best sports cars. In its first year, the WRX STI won Road & Track magazine’s “Best Car 2004” Reader’s Choice Award, edging out several dedicated sports cars, including the Porsche 911 GT3.

The Impreza WRX STI is powered by a turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter DOHC boxer engine producing 300 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 300 lb-ft of peak torque at 4,000 rpm. Teamed exclusively to a 6-speed manual transmission, the engine can propel the WRX STI from zero-to-60 mph in under five seconds. Power is transferred to all four wheels by a sophisticated Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system with Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) to optimize performance in all conditions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ALL Nissan 350Z's made prior to 2004 (do some research on the exact date) have a suspension problem relating to tire camber that causes tires to get chewed. The inside of the front tires is done within 10K miles. And with expensive tires, that is a big problem. Nissan dealers were offering to cover the cost of new tires, but it doesn't help that after about 1,000 miles it sounds like you are driving on a rumblestrip. Nissan claimed to have fixed it, but I would do serious research on Edmunds.com and some of the other car sites. You definitely do NOT want an older one, and you may very well not want a new one.

FYI, the Infiniti G35 coupe, with which is shares a chassis, does not have the same problem as the 350Z as it uses a different suspension.

The RX-8 supposedly has a problem with burning oil, just like all rotary's. The new sideporting was supposed to improve the wiper seal, but it still needs about a quart of oil every 500 miles or so, from what I've read.

The Honda S2000 is the best sports-car in that group. No flaws. It has the best stock gearbox of any production sportscar. ANY.

The WRX STi is fast, but Subaru's don't have the same reputation for longevity as Hondas.

The new Lexus IS has 306HP. And Toyota is legendary for quality. If you want a hardtop, get that. If you want a little convertible, get the S2000.

The Lotus is a head-turner. It uses the 4-cyl from the Toyota Celica, so it should have good reliability there. That might be something to look at as well if you want to be a little different.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Nissan Z [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is NOT a problem with a rotatary engine burning oil - they always have. A small amount of oil is injected into through the apex seal to lube each (2) rotary. I have put 6,800 miles on my '04 RX-8 (in 2 years! Have a few other cars ;) and I have added oil 3 times. It even clearly spells out this "quark" in the owner manual, but it is NOT a problem. I sure like 240 HP out of 1.3 liters and a useful back seat (hence no S200 for me - but great car as well). Actually more room back there (and an extra "suicide" door) than my previous BMW M3.

But since these are "fun" cars - you MUST drive them first to see what your definition is. V8 PonyCar American Muscle? New GTO is pretty fun for the money (major power and RWD). I don't like convertibles, so S2000 was out. I prefer REAL world handling, good looks and a nice interior (hence the RX-8). 350Z was pretty close (except the interior (wife gave the ride a thumbs down as well) - exterior is awesome). Can't get over the looks of the WRX, despite its pedigree.

The new Lexus IS might be good to look at (at least on paper is seems great) - but Lexus always seems to sterilize their cars just enough to take the enjoyment out.

Jordan - ever drive a Lotus Elise? Awesome, but NO WAY could I live with that thing on a daily basis. About as rough and spartan as they come. Like riding with rubber cement on your zipps - sure sticks to the road well, but rides awful ... :)

Quote | Reply
  1. The 350 is a chick car - no way around it. The car is not all that great IMO as NOTHING sets it aside from all the other Nissan cars. I love the kids in Altimas that have the same 3.5 and just add the couple of parts that sets aside the 350's engine...and then they beat the 350Z at the track. The 350Z's engine is nothing fancy at all. The handling is okay, but just okay.
  2. The WRX is really an ugly duckling of a car - it would like to be a swan, its engine and drive systems belong in a swan...but Subaru is to dumb to let that happen...put the WRX engine in a car with more style like the old SVX and drop a few pounds they would have something. Also, the massive driveline loss really kills the car on the high end or on longer tracks. Dont even try racing at highway speeds in a WRX unless you want your ass handed to you.
  3. The S2000 engine has had its red line lowered as it could not handle 9500rpm long term. The engine is more of a motorcycle engine that will start to loose HP hand over fist after about 20k if driven the way it was meant to be driven (over 6000rpm all the time). You have to drive that car like you stole it or you really just have the performance of a Civic...and I think that car is afraid of torque. Best shifting? LOL...yeah, cause it never ever has torque to stress it. I know for a fact those trannies shatter like glass with as little as a 120 shot and or a spool in the car.
  4. RX8 is a great car...but I bet that like the Wankels of the past the car will not need a 60k tune up - as a new engine will be in order. At least it is light enough for one boy to lift out of the car.
  5. Lotus Elise has almost nothing against it...great handling, great engine and will beat any of the above cars in about any race that is not on a gravel road (where the WRX will win). The Elise is not at all friendly to anyone who wants to go to the store and get some milk though...they are a hoot to drive and there are more tuner parts for that engine than you can shake a stick at. Plus, if you are willing to pay you can get the real engine from Europe (presuming that there are no emissions testing where you live)

At the end of the day...though I hate american cars...if you like the 350Z...you would LOVE a C6 for just a couple bucks more.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Nissan Z [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess some might say that is a problem inherent to the rotary design. I did say that it had always existed. I guess a fact of life that is an annoyance to some or quirk, as you say, is a better term. The reviews I'd seen said some users were adding 1/2quart every time they filled up at the pump. I guess it's just maintenance that you get used to. It certainly wouldn't deter me from buying the car, but you do have to be comfortable with that and adding oil. Maybe more if you drive it hard, as reviewers tend to do. Perhaps in real world situations, if you're not a teenager, it isn't so bad. Anyway, good to get the scoop on an actual owner.

Driven the Exige. I've spent a long time working as a wrench in a race shop. We do mostly GTP cars, but all the customers have toys, so that is how I came to work on the Exige. It might be, to quote Carl the Greenskeeper, "a little harsh" for daily use. But hey, it'll turn heads. It is actually a very cool construction process. Take some aluminum beams. Glue them together. Voila, you have a chassis. Seriously. It's plenty strong. But I love the idea of a glued together car.

I find most regular cars are pretty boring. I've gotten to work on a '97 long tail McLaren F1 race car, the Panoz LMP from Le Mans, the 1972 Ferrari 512M that won Le Mans, the Aston Martin AMR, the Nissan 280GTX (1300HP and no that is not a typo), and too many others. But I will say that the RX-8 catches my eye. The S2000 is still my true love. Some day... You're a lucky man...

Remember as well, most people buy for HP and fall in love with torque. That's what keeps the 'Vette owners coming back for more. Nothing like an American V-8 if that's your thing. Torque is easier to feel while still obeying the speed limit than HP, although cars with under 300HP and high redlines are fun too.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Honda S2000 is the best sports-car in that group. No flaws. It has the best stock gearbox of any production sportscar. ANY.

I've driven the G35 (coupe), the 350Z (uh...almost the same thing), the RX-8, the STi and the S2000. As a driver's car the S2000 is in a different league than the others...it really becomes an extension of your body and just oozes "soul". My friend (who owns this car and was kind enough to let me drive it) also likes sport bikes and he swears up and down the the S2000 is the closest a 'cage' can come to his bikes.

If getting a two seater its the way to go (IMO). The STi will be faster and would be my choice of the 4+ seaters as a 'fun' car. I'd take the G35 if the car was the primary family car and 'fun' was secondary.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Nissan Z [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 - Yes. But what kind of chick? Import tuner girls...

2 - Racing at highway speeds is for morons. Racing on corners is more fun. And if you spin out at 30mph on a hairpin, you still might leave with you head attached to your neck. Lateral acceleration is where the fun is, and the WRX will provide that.

3 - The redline was lowered mostly due to the change in the egine. They lengthened the stroke to give more displacement, upping the torque, lowering the redline and the the max torque rpms. Made the car more fun to drive. People think HP when they really want torque, and so they didn't like the S2000. So they were revving the crap out of it before the oil was warm and before the engine had been properly broken in. That engine is fine at high rpms provided you are smart. And the gearbox is precise and tight. And meant for the torque that the engine puts out. Doesn't change the fact that it is very precise. As precise as those in cars costing 10x as much.

4 - The bearings are better. Time will tell how much.

5 - I'd take the 190HP Toyota engine. It'll last. And it gets you 0-60 in about 4.2 seconds. Who needs an engine from Europe with that kind of performance? Toyota quality and plenty of go...

The C6 is far superior to the Z. The Z is not really Japanese anyway. Renault owns Nissan. So it is a French car. No wonder is stinks. The only real Nissan is the Skyline...

For my money, though, the best thing is to buy yourself a useful car and a Formula Ford. Take the FF to the track on the weekends. It will own just about any production car for a fraction of the cost. And you don't worry about hitting some kid riding their bike because you want to play Johnny Racecar on the street.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, my fun car till last week I think was hard to beat (once enough money was spent on "go fast" and suspension - oh and brakes to stop the over weight pig)

My car shopping has me down to two suspects...a 2004 Porsche 911 w/full leather package (if you are in the car, and you can touch it...it is leather). And a 2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG...I think I am leaning to the CLK though as there is no question that it can fit all my bike gear...sure it is not made for hot laps...but I guess I need to grow up (dont I?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the Porsche. Porsche has better quality, IMO, even than the AMG line. Porsche does it right. The most, and I mean most, fun I've ever had was in a 997 for a customer that we did some aftermarket work on -- new sway bars & adjustable shocks. Testing out that work was a lot of fun. The Benz's, especially the CLK, just isn't that hot. I've ridden in the 55, and driven the 320. Not even a comparison to any Porsche.

The new Cayman is rumored to be quite good too. It is an improved, hard-top version of the Boxster. Not as good as the Carrera, but cheaper. But if you got the $, I'd get the Carrera 4S.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are two cars in vastly diffrent categories. However when spending this dollar figure on a car I need to be a little grown up...I think for me the AMG may be better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grown-up is overrated. Get the M3 Competition Edition if you want something that seems a little more adult like... Or an M5. The CLK 55 is boh-ring. Really. You could get both a Lotus and a decent pick-up truck for less than either, though. But baring that plan, get a Porsche. And if you need a trunk, an M5 or M3. But you seem to have a thing for the Benzo. My uncle is the same way. It speaks to some people. The car needs to match your style... Get the one that feels right, not the one you think is right.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know something - you are right. People could pick out my car in a lot and would know it was mine (the VR4 that is). That car LOOKED like me, Sounded like me (Greddy, no cats, no precats, and Greddy Type S BOV). It was lowered, polished, spotless and fast as all get out (11.2 at 129 if I remember the speed right). I could wake up the neighbors with the BOV but it would purr when sitting (and the BOV would vent at just 2400rpm in a parking lot).

The Mercedes fits the desription of what people expect an arrogant seeming ass such as myself to drive. That is kind of an act...I like to be in the Mercedes because it has been a life dream to prove I can make something of myself. However, I have proven that to me and that is all that matters - and in my heart I know I would much rather have the 911, trunk, no trunk, snow or no snow.

I think you helped me decide. Sure a Porsche makes a financial statement to the world...however it also lets the world know that you know how to have fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now your take on the SC430. Different animal, but I would like your take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to help. You see it a lot more with race cars, where you can really pick a car that matches you. But in street cars, it is still possible.

Don't forget, the Carrera 4S will shit on the Benz in the snow, not insignificant given where you live.

I'll look forward to pics of the new arrival.

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Nissan Z [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SC430? Lexus? I dont like any lexus...they all want to be another car.

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Nissan Z [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, for the money of the SC you are a fool to not get the M3 drop top or the SL500...the M3 will destroy the SC on performance, the SL will destroy it in class, ride and resale.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the only true sport car maker, Porsche. The new Porsche Cayman with its mid-engine is really awesome in the flesh.

Pasadena Tri Club
Quote Reply

Prev Next