Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: In the skies over my house this weekend
Quote | Reply
Not the greatest pics, but I got a little airshow while I was washing my car this afternoon. Courtesy of the USAF Thunderbirds, in Cleveland this weekend for the national air show.

Quote Reply
Re: OT: In the skies over my house this weekend [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice . . . Of course, any pics of flying hardware from my beloved USAF are cool. Attend a 'home' Air Force Academy football game and get a 'flyover' which could have anything from a UAV to a BUFF, to the 'Chuting Team' landing at the 50 yard-line of the Air Force Academy Stadium - 4500' above Colorado Springs.

- Enjoy the day,

kd, USAF

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pole is too white.

Power lines not parallel.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: In the skies over my house this weekend [ahoodlum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that is funny sir - I might add, it looks like the pole is too low ;)

Quote | Reply
Quadzilla,

Nice pics!

A couple weekends ago, I took my son to the Yankee Air Museum Air Show at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, MI.

Lots of WWII vintage aircraft and an A10 Warthog.

The show was awesome and the aircraft were too! Of 12 B-17s that have been restored and fly, 8 were at this event! Of the B-17 flight crews that participated, said they had never been anywhere where there had been more than 3 B-17s at one time! There was a Messerschmidt ME-109. It was just an engine and a machine gun, but fast as a rocket! They had some P-47 Thunderbolts, P-51 Mustangs, B-25s and B-24s, a P-40 Flying Tiger and a British Lancaster bomber. Some of the first Jet fighters os well.

My son and I climbed through one of the B-17s. Talk about squeezing into a sardine can! I banged my shins and my head more than once. The cockpit for the pilot and copilot made a Yugo look like a limousine. A full crew was 10 people , pilot, copilot, navigator/radioman, bombadier, and six machine gunners.

These WWII bombers flew at around 250 mph top speed carrying tons of bombs. They were sitting ducks for enemy fighters! I don't think very many people really know what the air war over Europe and in the Pacific was like or what these pilots and crews risked to win the war.

If you ever get a chance to take in an air show like this, you really should find a way to attend. It will probably be a once in a lifetime event but really worth it.

It only set us back $20 and the parking was free. The program was $5 and definitely worth it as well.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: Sep 5, 05 20:13
Quote Reply
Re: OT: In the skies over my house this weekend [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have an 86 year old B-17 pilot in my office. Oh, the stories..

Re: OT: In the skies over my house this weekend [Kestrel Driver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KD, since I am bored and working the 2200-0600 shift here at the Tyndall AOC, here are some Bone pics just for you...enoy...

Jet at FOL during OIF...I flew this particular tail on a few combat sorties...

Nice pic of the jet with wings swept all the way aft...

4-ship of Georgia ANG

Pic of our Edwards test jet...

Quote | Reply
Bro..

BONES are some really cool birds; almost makes one bust a nut. Driving across country in '95, a BONE dropped almost *this* high over the range thru TexASS, scaring the living $hit out of my wife as we were driving to Maxwell.

I didn't blink. I casually asked (in a snide sorta way), "Honey, is your seltbelt fastened?"

"No. Why?"

3-2-1

*BOOM*

All I saw was afterburner and the backside of my wife's hand. Wife almost left me at that point. (smirk).

Go through the AFSPC launch manifest for CCAS Delta II launches or Vandy PIMS missile shots - that's me and the boys.

Blue skies, man. BTW, if you're at Tyndall, I had a lt out there - Scofield? Know him? He's a good kid. If you bump into him, give him a high 5 for me, please.

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply