Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: Ebay computer troubles
Quote | Reply
When ever I go to ebay and type in a search I get a couple of odd glitches.

1) it will freeze my machine totally or it will freeze the screen with the search button halfway down. If it is not a total freeze I can minimize/restore and that will free it up.

2) when this happens my text size keeps jumping to largest, no matter how many times I reset it. It also causes me some problems on the forum after that such as not being able to enter anything into a "post new".

Now admitly, part of the problem is probably my 233 pentium II computer with windows 98. But this acts more like a piece of spyware that spybot isn't catching. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, if I reboot the problem disappears.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Last edited by: Jim: Jan 1, 05 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay computer troubles [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Windows is like that.

The best and easiest way to solve your problem is to buy a new computer. PC or Mac, doesn't matter. Mac will give a "normal user" you less issues, but if you like to run weird software you might have a harder time. Weird being defined as not an office-type application, web browser, or media player. Data transfer may or may not be an issue here as well (if you go Mac).

2nd best solution is to back up all your data, format the hard drive, and re-install from scratch. Kind of a pain in the ass, but it will do the trick.

3rd (and cheapest) solution is to download a few spyware/adware/hijack scanners and run them as a suite, along with a good firewall and virus scanner. (You should do this anyway, even if you buy new/rebuild) The downside is that running these realtime applications may not solve your issue, and will very likely slow down your current machine. It's worth a try, at any rate.

My opinion is that you will have the best results, and get the most satisfaction from a new computer. I'll let the zealots battle it out re: Mac vs PC. ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay computer troubles [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This type of problem is normally caused by a form request or javascript executing on the client, your pc, that is causing ie to hang up, maybe the form being submitted has a really long response header. It is possible the is a fault on the ebay page, like an undefined form or style element in the page html code, that is causing the error. Pages with open html tags can cause font problems in ie.

Browsing the internet uses next to no resources unless you open new windows constantly, the speed of the pc is not a huge factor, having a good browser is.

Very cheap and easy answer: Dump internet explorer and your spybot software and use Mozilla firefox. I dont run any spybot software and use Firefox and have never had a problem. Most spybot software is as bad as the code you are using it to block! I also run AVG antivirus which is very 'light' on system resources but works great.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay computer troubles [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I am running AVG and have thought about switching to firefox. I should probably do that.

Jim

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Still need computer help. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea but my isp (netzero) does not support mozilla. I just tried.

Jim

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Still need computer help. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK if your isp is any good they should have no say in what browser you use, thats why AOL is not used much outside the USA!

I checked your ISP says they do not support Netscape which in effect means they are usinga proprietory system to distribute free content.

Sorry but get a new ISP!
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Still need computer help. [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been eying a dsl connection, this might be the last straw. I was kinda proud to be the only dialup user on ST.

Jim

Quote Reply