Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies?
Quote | Reply
In keeping with the current movie themes....

What movie did you hate or at least dislike the first time you watched it, and then after thinking about it for a while or watching it a second time decided that it was actually a pretty damn good flick?

The first one that comes to my mind is Zoolander. Initially just didn't get it, maybe it was because I was in the middle of a 15+ hour flight from Guam to Boston and just wasn't in the mood for anything. As I thought about it more I started cracking myself up and on the way back to Guam watched it again and found it hilarious.

Another one that comes to mind is Bad Santa. Found it very disturbing the first go-round. It's still a disturbing movie, but the more I watch it the funnier it is.

I would also put Moulin Rouge (I'm gonna get flamed for this one) into this category. At first I just couldn't get over the fact that it's a freakin musical...blagh! My wife absolutely loves it and so being the softie that I am I bought it for her as a gift. I have now come to appreciate their unique use of popular rock music in the musical. Actually have found this to be a good movie to ride the trainer to.

I have a feeling that Fargo and Clerks would be movies that given a second shot I may appreciate more. Actually turned Clerks off after 40 minutes and never put it back on.

So what are some others?

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minority Report -
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulholland Drive... oh, wait... just about any David Lynch movie! :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanilla sky. hated it at first. on second and subsequent viewings i loved/love it. at first i thought it was overexplained at the end. then i realized that the narrator may not be telling the truth at all and there are many clues along the way to hint that all is not what it seems. overall, a great story about consequences and the sweet and the sour - also an amazing soundtrack (which is the case with all cameron crowe movies). oh and penelope cruz is so hot. you could tell that her and cruise were falling in love as it was made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sticking with recents:

Manchurian Candidate,

Any LOTR,

The Hulk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Austin Powers movies were good the first time, but get better every time I watch them. (And The Surreal Life with Mini Me is just too bizarre to not watch. I saw the first one and now I'm hooked. And I NEVER watch reality shows. I hardly even watch any tv, but this I have to watch.)

Also, the Robin Williams Live on Broadway DVD- or whatever it's called - is better the more you watch it. He's so frantic and fast you miss half of it the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Big Labowski.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Office Space
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about "gotta watch it MORE THAN twice to really appreciate it"

++ Memento

+ Matrix (part1)

+ Unbreakable
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed

Snatch, LS&TSB and Collatoral

Magnolia, a brilliant movie and as someone pointed out Cruise at his best.

21 Grams

All of Almodovars that someone pointed out
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Napolean Dynamite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swingers. Liked it okay the first time, LOVED it the second time.

Vegas baby.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [TRWTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I could give Napoleon Dynamite another go-round. That first viewing was excruciating.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Usual Suspects
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FIGHT CLUB - it's a total riot the 2nd time around when you know the who Tyler Durden really is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word...errrr symbol : Pi (as in 3.14blah blah).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Quick Change' - now a classic in my eyes. Didn't really 'get it' the first time through... have now seen it many times.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [pezdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Momento! AMAZING MOVIE!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
serious movies: american history x and memento

funny movies: dumb and dumber, dude where's my car, harold and kumar go to white castle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackass The Movie.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [PBnJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got it PBnJen!

"Who's Keyser Sose?"
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [PBnJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. The Usual Suspects is the perfect answer to this question because you have no clue what is really going on until the very end. Memento is the same way, but not nearly as good, IMHO.

Quote | Reply
btw the mememto DVD has the movie also viewable in 'the right order'...
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats not cool at all, it's ruining the movie... then again I would like to see it the right way.

--------------
I don't fear none of my enemies cauz i've faced down a far greater foe than these, anxiety. BEP/PR
Take a look at my sponsors
http://www.firstendurance.com http://www.dpmsports.com http://www.maxxis.com http://www.crankbrothers.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Best "gotta watch it twice to really appreciate it" movies? [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to throw in a big 2nd for Fight club. there it is

--------------
I don't fear none of my enemies cauz i've faced down a far greater foe than these, anxiety. BEP/PR
Take a look at my sponsors
http://www.firstendurance.com http://www.dpmsports.com http://www.maxxis.com http://www.crankbrothers.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next