Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OSide speed zone DQ shame
Quote | Reply
I know it’s on me, however I am very disappointed that IRONMAN did not have the radar sign working, no one was there on bullhorns telling you to slow down, the big signs were not there, and there was no orange tape on the ground to designate it. These things have been there every year. When I hit the last timing wire it was too late.

I ran my ass off to finally get under 5 hours.

Any other ride of shamers out there?
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn’t seem fair if they didn’t clearly mark the start of it

I’d appeal. My argument would be I know I’m supposed to know the course but I am not supposed to know the start and stop timing locations.

That you’ve done it before both helps and hurts. Helps because you’ve been led to believe these would be marked based on experience. Hurts because you know which descent has the limit and should just ride under 25 for the length

That’s gotta be a punch in the gut after a hard finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I know it’s on me, however I am very disappointed that IRONMAN did not have the radar sign working, no one was there on bullhorns telling you to slow down, the big signs were not there, and there was no orange tape on the ground to designate it. These things have been there every year. When I hit the last timing wire it was too late.

Welcome to the life of a colorblind person. People think orange is a good color, or red (buoys) for that matter. In reality orange and red are two of the worst colors for red-green colorblind people.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the DQ. That blows.

But... While it was not well marked and enforcement was pretty low key, they did have signs... but yes, it is a bit of a travesty. But with the pavement being pretty shit and the stretch being exposed to the wind, I can see why they try to speed control... wiping out there is quite easy.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a clear sign marked “begin 25” and “end 25”. Timing boxes and lines on the road
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a travesty, you should know to be on the look out and it is obvious where it starts and stops. In 2015 i lost my watch at mile 5 of the bike, it was my only means of keeping tabs on my speed, and I miraculously was able to keep it under 25 mph for the ever so short section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad you weren't behind me, behind a gal going 14mph thru the 25 zone. Arrrrrrrrg!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Jigsy [ In reply to ]
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happened to me last year, learned my lesson and rode the brakes HARD the entire way, never going above 22mph. It wasn’t as well marked as previous years, but it was pretty clear where that zone was. I tried appealing last year, and though the race director was very friendly, they did not hear my appeal.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2016 I got DQ’d. It sucked and I learned from my mistakes. I tried appealing but the race director said “rules are rules.”

SMH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, how did this DQ work? Did they tell you in T2, or at the finish? Or after the finish?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how did this DQ work? Did they tell you in T2, or at the finish? Or after the finish?

At the finish. Basically your times just don’t show up. I did email the race director when it happened to me last year, and they did share my times with me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

It was not well marked at all IMO.

I felt bad for the pro woman I passed right before it. She was tailgating me the whole way down since they can go faster. My comp was acting up so I was playing it by ear which probably meant I was going waaaay too slow. Had I known it was coming up I would have held off on passing her or let her pass beforehand.

At least she followed the rules and didn't pass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can some one explain what happened? As a IM newbie I havent seen anything about speed Zones in anything I have read.
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was well marked.
This year there was a little construction and was glad it was a slow down section. In the many years I have done this race, it was the first time I would say that.
BUT yes, I could have descended faster than 25.
Not sure how one could miss it, but you are correct, it was not marked "as well" as other years.
Sorry for your DQ, it must be painful for anyone.
Did you at least miss it completely and go down it at 40 ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are event specific issues....this is coming down a hill + a sharp turn (from what i've read about on ST) and some guy crashed out in past and passed away. I think it's also on the military base and as such, part of the permitting, requires this "safety measure".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the first year I’ve done this race and I had no issues identifying the zone. Two dudes did pass me during the descent, not sure if they didn’t know about it or just didn’t care.

But it’s true, one of the speed sensor signs was not working (the on the right side).
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those speed sensors are for vehicles and really suck at reading bikes. I don't think I would trust them for anything.
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Those speed sensors are for vehicles and really suck at reading bikes. I don't think I would trust them for anything.

I didn’t know that lol. I used my Garmin and I think I was going down at 20-21mph.
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
? It’s a timing mat just like a turnaround , actually two. Time taken at top vs time taken at bottom. If it’s over 20 seconds (or whatever number they use to calculate 25+) you’re out

It’s not one of those road sign “your speed” things
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 8, 18 19:04
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
This year there was a little construction and was glad it was a slow down section. In the many years I have done this race, it was the first time I would say that.
Not sure how one could miss it, but you are correct, it was not marked "as well" as other years.

Not sure how anyone could call it "well marked"

There were TWO separate signs at least 200 yards apart at the bottom that said "end 25 MPH zone" and "end no pass zone", which is fine if the zone ended at the first one, but not if it ended at the second and people accellerated in between and then got deeqed..

Not sure how anyone missed that, but they were both there and it was a total mindfu**.

As far as the need there, that's a safe 45+ MPH descent hill. Safer than many of the other hills on the course. I get we have to slow down to keep the military happy, but it is not a hill that warrants the no pass DQ zone
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Can some one explain what happened? As a IM newbie I havent seen anything about speed Zones in anything I have read.

I think it is unique to this race/course. Basically it is a hilly and somewhat windy descent on a really shitty, chewed up part of the road. Mind you there are tanks driving around the base at Pendleton, so the roads take a beating. It's really not a very long stretch, even slowing down to 20mph really doesn't hurt you anymore than a few seconds in the grand scheme of things. Much to do about nothing.

Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said, it was better marked in the past, but I saw it easily. I also know where it was and it one was watching an odometer, they would look up and see it.
I feel safe on it, but the second year, back when it a full Ironman in 2001 some died. I think that is a great reason to keep it at 25.
I also know triathletes that are not good bike handlers and are nervous just riding with others.
So, I do not get too worked up about the 25mph thing on this course.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Karl wrote:

Not sure how anyone could call it "well marked"

There were TWO separate signs at least 200 yards apart at the bottom that said "end 25 MPH zone" and "end no pass zone", which is fine if the zone ended at the first one, but not if it ended at the second and people accellerated in between and then got deeqed..

Not sure how anyone missed that, but they were both there and it was a total mindfu**.

As far as the need there, that's a safe 45+ MPH descent hill. Safer than many of the other hills on the course. I get we have to slow down to keep the military happy, but it is not a hill that warrants the no pass DQ zone

Not sure what your issue is. The 25 mph speed zone, and the no passing zone are 2 separate things, so why are you bothered if one ends before the other. I saw the same signs, and started speeding up after the end of the 25 mph limit, but did not pass the person in front of me until after the end of no passing zone sign. It did not seem complicated, and I agree with Karl that it was well marked, you obviously saw all the signs :-)
Quote Reply
Re: OSide speed zone DQ shame [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Like I said, it was better marked in the past, but I saw it easily. I also know where it was and it one was watching an odometer, they would look up and see it.
I feel safe on it, but the second year, back when it a full Ironman in 2001 someone died. I think that is a great reason to keep it at 25.
I also know triathletes that are not good bike handlers and are nervous just riding with others.
So, I do not get too worked up about the 25mph thing on this course.

When I was a young Corpsmen stationed on Camp Pendleton (barracks at Camp San Mateo) we would ride the bus to Main Side and that hill was scary.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...2001may20-story.html

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply

Prev Next