Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo so i can hold on to my pull bouy. Jammers let it slide out (the pull bouy not something else).

If the old men/ladies want to look, it doesn't bother me.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are horrendous. To the original point, tights is not a crime and who cares. I feel more comfortable with shorts over the top as I've never found a set I like the look off.

I also only wear jammers
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Speedo so i can hold on to my pull bouy. Jammers let it slide out (the pull bouy not something else).

Funny, I've only worn speedo cut suits for training since I was a kid. Wore jammers this morning and on a tempo 800m pull the buoy (one of the new style, not the great old school ones) kept on sliding out. Annoying as f. Back to the (fantastic Kiwami...) briefs for me. At the masters groups around here it seems just some triathletes and adult onset swimmers choose the jammers, but genuinely, no one cares what anyone else decides on.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok.....I do the shorts because I'm too cheap for tights nice enough with "pockets".

I don't own a gps watch. So I carry my bike gps in my pocket and then convert the activity type.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do live in a country where the Police threatened a woman at a 6 flags with arrest for wearing shorts that were too short, so people do care what you wear
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
You do live in a country where the Police threatened a woman at a 6 flags with arrest for wearing shorts that were too short, so people do care what you wear
But the police are not going to arrest men running in tights without shorts nor are they going to arrest guys wearing speedos at the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference is that speedos at a pool at 6am are generally accepted as normal. As are women in tights, which aren't revealing anything, nor getting anyone's attention. No one will blink twice if you're biking in bike shorts, either.

But old sweaty farts running through the neighborhood with their vacuum sealed sausage is not generally accepted as normal. Same with running outside in a speedo or thong, at which point you may get a conversation with the police. Ask yourself why you don't walk around town in underwear (it would be very comfortable in summer) and try to apply the same logic to why some people don't appreciate the tights.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone around here cares what people wear in the pool as long as we can't see through it. That might be the line.

Funny thing, one time there was a guy swimming in the lane next to me that had board shorts on where they were mainly black but the top 4 inches were a faded tan color. It looked like he was swimming with his shorts halfway down his butt. When the guard came over to have him pull his short up, he realized they were faded and let out a laugh.

In the locker room I told the guy what his suit looked like, he thought it was hilarious and was wondering why people were giving him odd looks. Never saw the shorts again :)
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

That obviously was not right and is not reflective of the people in my community.

It's legal for a woman to go topless in NYC, people will definitely get offended and police may say women have to cover up, but it's not right to threaten arrest there either.

People here in the US are trying to be both prudes and protect others from creeps. I really don't know where to draw the line, I understand both sides and don't entirely agree with one side or the other. I have no problem with any man or women wearing a leg-less bathing suit at the pool, but wearing it into Walmart is going a bit too far. I wound not go that far mainly because I think it's disrespectful.

Just like wearing tights while running, it's functional and not creepy unless the person makes it creepy. And yes, I would agree that creepiness is a matter of opinion and there are opinions that are different than mine. Those opinion don't necessarily make them or me right or wrong.

Edit: Here is a opinion that I would agree with, although it's not law. The same would go with running tights

Last edited by: jaretj: May 10, 21 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
The difference is that speedos at a pool at 6am are generally accepted as normal. As are women in tights, which aren't revealing anything, nor getting anyone's attention. No one will blink twice if you're biking in bike shorts, either.

But old sweaty farts running through the neighborhood with their vacuum sealed sausage is not generally accepted as normal. Same with running outside in a speedo or thong, at which point you may get a conversation with the police. Ask yourself why you don't walk around town in underwear (it would be very comfortable in summer) and try to apply the same logic to why some people don't appreciate the tights.
Okay, I'll take them in the order that you wrote them:

1. Speedos at the pool at 6am? I wear mine to the pool at 3pm. And so do a lot of other people, including every men's swim team anywhere.
2. Women in tights? Agreed, no issue.
3. Bike kit? No problem, though I suspect a few rednecks may not agree.
4. Old sweaty farts with vacuum sealed sausage? Hmmm, if they are sweating they are probably overdressed and should be wearing shorts instead of tights. If it's cold there is probably not much to see anyway, and a good pair of running briefs under the tights is always a good idea in cold weather - actually in any weather if you are wearing running tights.
5. I have never seen anyone on a run through the neighborhoods in a speedo. I doubt you have either.
6. Running in a thong? You are asking for trouble, and the police are just one of your concerns.
7. Walking around town in your underwear? Nobody I know would do it.

But this is where you and I digress. Wearing underwear around town is not even close to the same as wearing running tights during training. In all of the years I have worn tights out on the trails in the winter I have not been questioned one time on my clothing choice. I have had a few cops wave as they drive by. And, I really don't have time to spend on the logic people use to determine what they do and don't like.

So, wear shorts over your tights or don't. Personally, I'll just keep doing what I am doing.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Okay, I'll take them in the order that you wrote them:

1. Speedos at the pool at 6am? I wear mine to the pool at 3pm. And so do a lot of other people, including every men's swim team anywhere.
2. Women in tights? Agreed, no issue.
3. Bike kit? No problem, though I suspect a few rednecks may not agree.
4. Old sweaty farts with vacuum sealed sausage? Hmmm, if they are sweating they are probably overdressed and should be wearing shorts instead of tights. If it's cold there is probably not much to see anyway, and a good pair of running briefs under the tights is always a good idea in cold weather - actually in any weather if you are wearing running tights.
5. I have never seen anyone on a run through the neighborhoods in a speedo. I doubt you have either.
6. Running in a thong? You are asking for trouble, and the police are just one of your concerns.
7. Walking around town in your underwear? Nobody I know would do it.

But this is where you and I digress. Wearing underwear around town is not even close to the same as wearing running tights during training. In all of the years I have worn tights out on the trails in the winter I have not been questioned one time on my clothing choice. I have had a few cops wave as they drive by. And, I really don't have time to spend on the logic people use to determine what they do and don't like.

So, wear shorts over your tights or don't. Personally, I'll just keep doing what I am doing.

Funny thing.
There was a Triathlon race in Atlanta in the 90’s where residents complained to the city about people running through their Lakeside neighborhood in speedos and bathing suits on a Sunday morning in late Summer.

So the RD implored triathletes to cover up before the run (high humidity and hot).
That came with the plea to not urinate into front yards and/or litter those pristine lawns.

The race died because of these complaints, as far as I remember.
Last edited by: windschatten: May 10, 21 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I can see how speedos in a lakeside neighborhood on Sunday morning may not be well received. I remember running by a guy arguing with a cop at the end of his driveway because he could not get his car out. It wasn't going to be happening for awhile either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
Yeah, I can see how speedos in a lakeside neighborhood on Sunday morning may not be well received. I remember running by a guy arguing with a cop at the end of his driveway because he could not get his car out. It wasn't going to be happening for awhile either.

Actually, I did see residents in bathing attire walking down to the lake the day before and later that same day.
I guess it’s the weaponizing of perceived sensitivities I take offense with.
An obese woman in tights is ok, but an anemic runner isn’t.
Or was it the other way round?
No way to justify that distinction without appearing dishonest and biased, IMO.

Last edited by: windschatten: May 10, 21 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I teach in a high school with 1200 students and can honestly say that, despite wearing tights for all of my runs in the winter, I have never heard a student or staff member comment on my clothing choice. I don’t think the general population cares what we wear to run/swim/bike, and it’s probably only other athletes that may be judging our attire.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the comments in this thread leave me scratching my head.

I'm old enough to remember Ironmans being run in Speedos. Tim Reed was continuing that tradition until recently.

Perhaps the rule should be that anything goes as long as you have the body for it.

Ken Souza might have something to say about this.

Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:
I teach in a high school with 1200 students and can honestly say that, despite wearing tights for all of my runs in the winter, I have never heard a student or staff member comment on my clothing choice.

Because they do it when you're not around, or on their socials which you don't see?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a grower, I'm really offended by this trend of speedos. Just wait until it shows.

Edit: I think it was this thread but you guys missed 5 posts of bulging penises by a troll bot.

Last edited by: aravilare: Jul 6, 21 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of a "strange denizens" thing, but while riding gravel in Umstead this past week came across two female trail runners on the main MUP trail. Both dressed in what I could best describe as super short "anime fantasy" skirts with the whole long socks, crop top, pigtails thing going on.

I really hope they weren't filming pron in the woods and the run was part of the "plot". If it was, I want royalties for my bike rider cameo.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Kind of a "strange denizens" thing, but while riding gravel in Umstead this past week came across two female trail runners on the main MUP trail. Both dressed in what I could best describe as super short "anime fantasy" skirts with the whole long socks, crop top, pigtails thing going on.

I really hope they weren't filming pron in the woods and the run was part of the "plot". If it was, I want royalties for my bike rider cameo.

What’s strange about that?
Many younger adolescents only have a couple years to show off, before they lose shape. Legs and stomach go first.

I rather think that many just don’t understand or respect boundaries. Adolescents always push them, and Adults (if not socialized) occasionally ignore them.

In that respect, wearing tights without pad/underwear/jockstrap is beyond the boundaries of Personal Freedom or Civilization.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nevertoolate wrote:
In that respect, wearing tights without pad/underwear/jockstrap is beyond the boundaries of Personal Freedom or Civilization.

What about tri shorts and tri suits? People don’t wear underwear under those...

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it’s down to personal choice and somewhat to what the norm is where you live. Countries and regions differ.
I use both tights, shorts and short tights, depending on the weather, But not at the same time. If someone else is having a problem with me running in tights, it’s their problem, not mine. And, if they have a problem with it, they’re staring at all the wrong places, which mean they are the creep, not me. If you dont want to see it, then don’t look, it’s not like i’m wearing just a sock over my junk or a man-kini or something.
People wearing shorts over their tights, makes me want to stop them and send a link for some bike leg-warmers instead
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
nevertoolate wrote:

What about tri shorts and tri suits? People don’t wear underwear under those...

If you’re wearing a tri suit/speedo without a pad in a long distance race….. your problem.
These garments are in general non-see through, and even if, nobody would care as your just ‘flying by’.

If you’re parading your see-through compression underwear in a Mall on Sunday, standing around and everyone passing by you has no choice but getting a full frontal that leaves nothing to imagination, that’s where everyone should rightfully care.

I know you’re purposely being white (see through), but there is those who need the ‘tights are nudity’ message, because shades of gray or black mean nothing to them.
Last edited by: nevertoolate: Jul 10, 21 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Faris Al-Sultan would like to add something here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer was no weeks ago and it still is. Again unless you are Linford Christie, no, and even what were you thinking big fella.
Quote Reply
Re: OK for guys to wear uncovered tights while running? [goldenkidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the last holdout among the professional triathletes was Tim Reed, but even he has now switched to a conventional trisuit.

Quote Reply

Prev Next