Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m?
Quote | Reply
...kicking?

I thought I was pretty special doing a 61 second 50m kick, until I remembered what Popov/Thorpe etc etc could do
Quote Reply
Re: OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven’t timed it recently, but last year I was at 36s for a single flat out 50 flutter kick (with board, scm, no fins) at the end of a set of descending 50s.

I would be slightly quicker than that doing dolphin kick, but I haven’t done a set like that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Haven’t timed it recently, but last year I was at 36s for a single flat out 50 flutter kick (with board, scm, no fins) at the end of a set of descending 50s.

I would be slightly quicker than that doing dolphin kick, but I haven’t done a set like that.

Wow, this is insane how much propulsion good swimmers generate from the lower body. Last year I did some 25's and got down to 26-28 seconds depending on day flutter kicking. I got down to the same range under water dolphin for 25m (was a touch slower due to no oxygen). I don't think I would be faster over water dolphin....my dolphin with flutter board is not great. Not sure why but I think I cannot use core well due to my disc limitation once the board is there.

With these fins on I got the 25m down to 18 seconds in flutter kicking with board and under water dolphin. Maybe I will try today doing both with and without fins.

By the way, I believe my ability to sprint faster in the 50m fly is limited by my ability to move my core fast enough....my arms can pull faster, but my core can't move the wave behind me fast enough. But I am working on the core strength and timing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My short legs, arthritic hips, and size 9 feet did 8 x 50 SCM @1:00 this morning coming in around :53.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
41 seconds is my best for 50m flutter kick. IIRC I've seen Gary Hall Jr mention being able to do 50m kick in well under 30 seconds.

Over 100m, my best time for breaststroke kick is 10 secs faster than for flutter kick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need to set up a couple parameters for this thread to continue. I assume we are talking about a kick board kick, because there are guys that can do 21 flat for 50m underwater dolphin kick, LCM.. And that is point two, what format did you kick in, SCM/LCM/SCY..And point 3, its ok to say what your best was back in the day if you remember, but what do you do right now, at what age, and what stroke kick, from a push off, with no arm pulling into the walls..SOme bad habits some swimmers have built up on kick sets over the years..(-;

I'm out of the pool for a camp most this week, but will get in a couple of these next week. I think it will be close between my breast and flutter, dolphin coming in a distinct 3rd, which in todays strokes should be opposite..
Quote Reply
Re: OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re allowed one pull into the wall with the board. Basically if coach wouldn’t call you out for cheating and make everyone repeat the set, then it’s allowed.

If we’re allowed to brag on the back in the day times, my pb was a 58 mid when I was 20 or 21 for a 100 (SCY) . Coach gave me a chance todo a get out swim in front of the team, I had to go sub-60. That was probably 3or 4 weeks before our championship meet. Based on that, I’m guessing that my best 50 flutter kick would have been around 27 ish for SCY.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All out flutter kick with board I could probably do 52ish but I haven't specifically tried. I did however do a 45 breaststroke kick at the end of a set earlier this year. I don't think I'm normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
We need to set up a couple parameters for this thread to continue. I assume we are talking about a kick board kick, because there are guys that can do 21 flat for 50m underwater dolphin kick, LCM.. And that is point two, what format did you kick in, SCM/LCM/SCY..And point 3, its ok to say what your best was back in the day if you remember, but what do you do right now, at what age, and what stroke kick, from a push off, with no arm pulling into the walls..SOme bad habits some swimmers have built up on kick sets over the years..(-;

I'm out of the pool for a camp most this week, but will get in a couple of these next week. I think it will be close between my breast and flutter, dolphin coming in a distinct 3rd, which in todays strokes should be opposite..

It was 1) 50 LCM, 2) freestyle kick, and 3) with a board.

I am not a great kicker...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to swim at MCAC in Charlotte, which is where SwimMAC Elite squad used to go Tues/Thurs for LCM days. I was doing a set of pretty hard 100 swims and I was quite pleased to be holding 1:18-1:19 on a solid amount of rest.

In the lanes next to me SwimMAC was doing a kick set of 100s with boards (no fins). Lochte was in the lane next to me. I watched them do two 100s. On the two I watched, the send off was around 1:30 and Lochte, who was leading the lane, touched in 1:12 on the first one and 1:10 on the second one I watched.

...humbling.
Quote Reply
Re: OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my parents hosted a couple of us national teamers, one of whom made the 4x100free team in ‘92 who were there for a meet. I was a very good kicker, but those guys just smoked me. Astounding..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sooow.. tested this on my lunch swim. I'll check back in here in a year's time.. maybe... :-) Can't get my head around the times listed here and the humongous gap with my attempt ;-)

But then again, i'm not a swimmer but a triathlete trying to swim so i'm out of the target audience here ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m? [maarten.claes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maarten.claes wrote:
Sooow.. tested this on my lunch swim. I'll check back in here in a year's time.. maybe... :-) Can't get my head around the times listed here and the humongous gap with my attempt ;-)

But then again, i'm not a swimmer but a triathlete trying to swim so i'm out of the target audience here ;-)

Well? What was it?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam for a division one school, and was the worst kicker on the team. 100 flutter, no board, SCY (w/ turns) = 1:09. Some guys were sub 60.

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
45 seconds!!!

using a kickboard, flutter kick, for ....25 yards.

I turn 50 next year. Got in the pool for some exercise about 8 years ago after hurting my back. Just started swimming sets this past year, instead of aimlessly swimming laps for 30-40 minutes. And, I also started using a kickboard for the first time ever this past year. I can do about 150 yards with the kickboard before I'm breathing heavy. I can do 25 yards faster with the breaststroke kick than I can flutter kick, and I'm not as tired. I try to do 250 yard with the board twice a week. For perspective, I do 100s at 1:55, with about 10 second rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a while but I've been 36.x for 50y flutter with a board, and 32.x for 50y underwater dolphin (with turns - SCY). Now 15 years older, it's around 42.x with a board and 35.x for the UW dolphin.

I saw a guy from U of M once do a 50 scm UW dolphin from the block where he was only above water to pop up, do a stroke and flipturn, and it was 22.x. I instantly declared myself a non-swimmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son just turned 8.

SCM with board, no fins

8 x 50's on 1:15 went under 1:00 on all of them.

I've only seen him sprint 25s. His best has been around :22.

Did I mention he is 8?
Quote Reply
Re: OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while my 500SCY PR is roughly around 4:30 my 100SCY kick is probably 2:00..i never understood how people can kick so well, jealous!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw down some times next week, with and without a board/ fins, and maybe even different types of boards (full + thick vs half size). Can't do it this week since I'm tapering. I wouldn't consider myself a top-tier kicker even when I was a full time swimmer. My normal kick speed with a board is 1:35-1:40 scy for both fly and free kick, which is usually a moderate effort.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 5x100 @ 1:50 a week back, held under 1:40 for the set and was 1:34 ish on the last one. Not all out or anything. All out for 50 on a board would be around 35-37 depending on the day, my 100/200 Kick times are better.

No board 29-30

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Jun 4, 21 5:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you guys are really fast kickers. I vaguely remember kicking around a 35s 50 yd flutter kick back in college. My fly kick was faster and still is. for my fastest think I've done some fly kicking around 45s this year and some flutter at 48-49s thats all scy. I always take a stroke into the wall so my LCM kicking is embarrassing lolz. I can barely break a minute now and thats at max effort. On a regular set of kicking 50 scy I do them on 1:00 or 1:05 interval and I usually do low to mid 50s if I feel good and worse if Im tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once upon a time I was an ok swimmer, but a much better kicker. My knees hyperextend naturally and I had super flexible swimmer ankles and unnaturally flexible hips. At 14 I was about 5'8 135 and stacked the leg press/hip sled machine when we lifted.

Back in that day I could readily do 100 scy under 1:00 and hold 1:00-1:05 on the 1:20 for 10x100 flutter, fly or a combination of both.

Did a goal set 2500 kick for time in less than 30:00 (don't remember precisely but I was humping to get under 30 and did) when I was 14. Was faster as I got older.

I don't remember doing an all out LCM 50 for time, but we did a set of 10 with lazer boards, all out on longish rest, at an AG national camp where I sat at about 29-30

I haven't done a 50 for time recently, but should still be able to get down to 30:00 if it's a single effort. I can still kick faster than most of the people at my pool swim despite one knee no longer hyperextending due to reconstruction and less flexible ankles due to running and injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't even get close to these, but I caught the last part of my son's workout a couple of days ago and saw him kick 11.5, 11.3, 11.2 and 11.1 for a set of 4 x 25m. I don't think he was paying strict attention to that annoying 15m rule, though.
Quote Reply
Re: OK Swimmers...what can you do for 50m? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
It's been a while but I've been 36.x for 50y flutter with a board, and 32.x for 50y underwater dolphin (with turns - SCY). Now 15 years older, it's around 42.x with a board and 35.x for the UW dolphin.

I saw a guy from U of M once do a 50 scm UW dolphin from the block where he was only above water to pop up, do a stroke and flipturn, and it was 22.x. I instantly declared myself a non-swimmer.

Wow, that is insane.....50m SCM all underwater with one breath in 22 seconds? I felt I was becoming a bit more of a swimmer when I achieved my first 25m undewater dolphining! I actually have not even timed it because I am too gassed to see the clock at the end. I did 19 seconds with fins for 25M, but I am guessing that I am above 25 seconds. No way I would survive 50m, but if I could do it in under 30 seconds, that would be a different story! The duration it takes has an impact on how far one can go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you only care what Oklahoma swimmers can do? ;-)

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply

Prev Next