Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OK, so tell me why....
Quote | Reply
....I can buy one of these for less money than some bicycles?

Quote Reply
Re: OK, so tell me why.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easier to make and more units sold. The more you sell the more you can perfect and reduce manufacturing costs.

Also markets will follow what the consumer is willing to pay. Seems a lot of people here are willing to spend 5k+ on a bike, well guess what thats what they are going to charge.

Personaly, I'll stick to building up and racing bikes for under $1000 that are faster than 99% of the bikes out there.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stack is too high; you will be unable to get a suitable position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economy of scale. They make ALOT more of those than any individual brand of bicycle, except maybe some Walmart versions.

Even low scale Quad runners and motorcycles are hitting 100K+ a year. Not sure if Cervelo is coming close to that on any bike model.

Also add in the specialization of size. IOW Cervelo has several different frame size so things have to have more expensive or more types of tooling and parts. So let say that Cervelo IS selling 100K of a certain bike they are really selling 5 different bikes. Unlike the car and motorcyle market where "one size fits all" you just add and subtract stuff.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: OK, so tell me why.... [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. I guy came to my office this morning on his new Harley. Went out and had a look at it. When he told me it only cost around $6500. I was shocked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
& when you told him your (or some of the folks on ST) bike cost more than $5K, you must have floored him.

However, when I have not idea about the maintenance cost of a engine propelled bike versus a human propelled bike, you do not need to pay for insurrance, you do not need to pay for gas to move forward on your bicycle... However, you need a power tap, race wheel, etc... :)

Cheers,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: OK, so tell me why.... [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He knows I'm into bicycles, but after hearing what his Harley cost I was too embarrassed to tell him what trigeeks are willing to pay for a bicycle.

However, I did tell that his bike has a few more horses than does mine. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but is it more aerodynamic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask him how much his weighs. Ask him how he carries a spare if he flats. Ask him if he can fix the chain or a broken spoke on the road. Ask him if he can swap the seat, or the handlebars, or the fork, or any other single part for a different one if he so desires, and how much that would cost.

Bicycles, although relatively simple, are built under some serious constraints (weight, parts compatibility, etc.) that things like motorcycles don't face. Too bad bike manufacturers didn't address resonance :-)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because chicks dig guys in speedos on expensive bicycles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"However, when I have not idea about the maintenance cost of a engine propelled bike versus a human propelled bike, you do not need to pay for insurrance, you do not need to pay for gas to move forward on your bicycle..."

Insurance: You bet I pay for insurance on my bike! A rider on my homeowners

Gas: You eat don't you? Do you suppliment your rides? Clif, GU, Infinit? All MUCH more expensive than the $4/gal automotive fuel costs these days...

I drive a scooter everywhere instead of my car, and for $3,000 retail, $125/year insurance, and 70+ mpg, it's cheaper to ride the scooter than fuel myself on my bike!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
supply-demand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you think bicycles are expensive?

you price some fast light aircraft: 6-8 seats with jet or turboprob power. even at cost per pound, they put bike prices to shame.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: OK, so tell me why.... [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points.
However I personaly go with cheap "energy gas" most of the time and no energy gas other than water for rides up to 2 hours (maybe a bit more). & water is almost as expensive as gas...

Cheers,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motorcycle manufacturers don't have to spend billions of dollars to engineer out the death wobble issue that bicycle manufacturers have to fight.

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: OK, so tell me why.... [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You also have to keep in mind the materials that are being used to make motorcycles... at the lower end they are made of steel and plastic with a little rubber thrown in to keep you on the road. What you pictured is basically the Huffy of the motorcycle realm. Cheap materials, cheap labor, mass produced, and old tech. I think that if you start looking at motorcycles that are built to the same level of quality and performance as a Cervelo then you will realize that you will be seeing five and even six digit price ranges! Try explaining a $100k motorcycle to your wife...

Oh, and the motorcycle industry does have to deal with the issue of "death wobble." Ever see a guy on a sport bike come out of a corner too hot? Imagine getting ejected because of death wobble at 80mph!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nmu1f6epqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPhVpVk3b94

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perhaps we're all just a bunch of suckers?
Last edited by: kittycat: Jun 16, 07 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike pictured is a sportster 883cc Hugger, a basic entry level Harley-Davidson with no bells or whistles. My 2006 Harley Sportster is a 1200cc Roadster that cost $9500 out the door. There are still a few bicycles that are more expensive than my motorcycle.
Quote Reply
Re: OK, so tell me why.... [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only thing I can think about when I see this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1LZVmn3p3o

-------

Almost died in a car crash. Currently in rehab.
Last edited by: JunK: Jun 16, 07 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"no energy gas other than water for rides up to 2 hours (maybe a bit more)"

But the calories burned from that ride have to eventually be replaced. If not, your body would eventually eat itself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vroom vroom. Me like.

But me like this even better...

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply