Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition during a marathon?
Quote | Reply
I know it's common to have an in-race nutrition plan for an IM, but what about during a marathon? I've seen plenty of BOP or MOP runners carrying their gel packs or whatever, but I've never seen the elite guys, or really anyone running a sub-3 race, carry anything with them. Of course, the guys running sub-3 could be having Thanksgiving dinner at the 20K mark, I wouldn't ever be close enough to know.

I've never carried anything and never noticed any of the 3:15 crowd doing it, but maybe I'm a Luddite. Does anyone here use GU or something else during a stand alone marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition during a marathon? [Yossarian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outside of a cup of gatorade, I took in half of a GU pack one time. it didn't really do much for me. personally, i think a little gatorade is all you need (but I'm not big on the GU and other stuff like this...unless I'm out for like 5 hours or more. and if that's the case i'll take a cliff bar)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bet'cha. I usually pack along 2 gels although I generally only use one. I'll get a gel down around mile 9-10 and play the rest of the day by ear. If I need another one, I've got my backup handy or I'll pick one up if the race is offering them (they're usually offered late in the race where they won't do you much good if that's your only source of nutrition).

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The less I have to carry the better - however I do take 3 GUs during a race - 7, 14, 21 miles - I get so hungry I have to eat something. I guess I am MOP at about a 3:10 marathon.

You probably need to train and discover what is right for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 gels for me. qualified for Boston '06.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a PM I wrote to someone here during the weekend about nutrition for the marathon, see if you find it helpful:

"You need to get more organized than that. You should keep your intake at just under 0.8liters/hour of gatorade. Or if you're using water+gel, you should drink the same amount and ingest 60g CHO/hour. This intake should be throughout the race and not in "peaks". Being organized is better than carrying the fuel felt for the race. Lack of CHO intake instead of dehydration was likely the issue in your performance. Dehydration is seldom the problem, contrary to common belief. For a good discussion on that, check Lore of Running, it's pretty good on that. "

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition during a marathon? [runhappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're running 3:10 for the marathon, you're doing much better than MOP. I ran 3:07 at the Honolulu Marathon and was 199th out of 30,000 and this year ran 3:06 and change at Huntington Beach and was 18th/693.

Now as far as nutrition is concerned, I have worn a 4-bottle fuel belt for all 3 marathons I have run. Primarily because I want to have the nutrition that I have been training with. I don't carry any water, just my CHO drink. Most races use some cheap CHO drink like Powerade, Gatorade...that's not what I train with. I like to go with what I know. As far as gels I typically will power through 4 gels in a marathon. I don't have a set time, just whenever I feel the need coming on.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:30-ish and I can't take anything other than watered-down gatorade. Gels make my stomach cramp.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition during a marathon? [runhappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You probably need to train and discover what is right for you.
I'm probably not as consistent about that as I should be, but is there any merit to providing fewer carbs during training so that your body learns to burn fat more efficiently and then taking on a bit more fuel during the race? Kind of like using lightweight shoes for races- you don't train in them but they give you a little extra kick on race day.
Quote Reply