Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Now that we know all your injuries, do they....
Quote | Reply
Amazing list of serious injuries in the other thread "the human junkyard". That begs the question(s): do these injuries:

Affect your ability to train?

If so, how?

What have you done to facilitate/correct them?

Does it compormise your racing- i.e. would you be faster if you didn't have to deal with_________?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Now that we know all your injuries, do they.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it was a bike crash involving a dog. Seperated shoulder, sewed up head, knee, shoulder, hip, loss of memory for the day. Yes, messed up my swimming mostly but on LOOOOng runs my shoulder hurts too. Nothing unbearable but definitely noticeable, now where is that dog? :~) Should I sue the dog owner? Just kidding on that last sentence. I was being sarcastic. :~)

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Now that we know all your injuries, do they.... [Larry Mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Larry - Good HNL marathon. Was is the "dog accident" that caused your ankle injury?

Quote | Reply
None of the injuries have slowed me down. Time has slowed me enough so that the contributions made by various insults to the body have been relegated to insignificance. However, when my heart valves were replaced, I remember a doctor making a comment about how "small" one of them needed to be. I didn't think much of it then but, in retrospect, I think that has been a limiting factor. On the other hand, considering how close I was to death, I'm glad to be out there! I guess the term "limiting" depends on how one looks at it.

Lou Battaglia

Why didn't I retire last year?
Quote Reply
Re: Now that we know all your injuries, do they.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of my injuries sidelined my training, some more than others. The pituitary tumor producing hGH definitely IMPROVED my athletic ability, but the side effects would have been pretty dire if it hadn't been caught in time. The surgery for that was pretty horrendous and took me 6 months to recover from.

Quote | Reply
It's amazing how many comeback stories there are here.

I think the truly significant thing about this that so many non-athlete people find so many excuses not to exercise; my shcedule, I'm sore, etc. etc.

But you take the totally opposite crowd- basically us I guess- and the doctor is telling them, "Look, you just had knee surgery last week so doing a marathon in a month isn't advisable."

The truly fascinating thing is what drives that motivation... That's a big mystery.

Man, can you believe how many broken collar bones? Knock on wood- I've never done that. Yet.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing that has bothered me the most these last few seasons have been calf/achilles strains. I've changed shoes, stretched, etc and the only thing that really works is time off. I had it happen again in November (cold weather tends to bring it on...and I think my age.. 48.. plays a role)and I haven't run in 4 weeks. Going to try in the next few days and see if we are good to go....with yet another new pair of shoes!

Thank God for the pool.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I think the truly significant thing about this that so many non-athlete people find so many excuses not to exercise; my shcedule, I'm sore, etc. etc.

But you take the totally opposite crowd- basically us I guess- and the doctor is telling them, "Look, you just had knee surgery last week so doing a marathon in a month isn't advisable."

The truly fascinating thing is what drives that motivation... That's a big mystery.
It's called addiction.

Re: Now that we know all your injuries, do they.... [CrashingGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange you should mention that CrashingGirl, I was just reading these lyrics last night thinking about how much they apply to us:

"Not An Addict" K's Choice.

Breathe it in and breathe it out
And pass it on, it's almost out
We're so creative, so much more
We're high above but on the floor

It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side

The deeper you stick it in your vein
The deeper the thoughts, there's no more pain
I'm in heaven, I'm a god
I'm everywhere, I feel so hot

I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)

It's over now, I'm cold, alone
I'm just a person on my own
Nothing means a thing to me
(Nothing means a thing to me)

Free me, leave me
Watch me as I'm going down
Free me, see me
Look at me, I'm falling and I'm falling.

It is not a habit, it is cool I feel alive I feel...
It is not a habit, it is cool I feel alive

I'm not an addict...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Now that we know all your injuries, do they.... [Football Mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Larry - Good HNL marathon. Was is the "dog accident" that caused your ankle injury?

Hi Linda,

Can I use that excuse? :) No, the accident was about ten years ago. I think the cause of the ankle injury is "the ten years". :) Thanks for the HNL Marathon compliment. For the way I my injury list was this year I was happy to stay under 4 hrs.

Happy Holidays,

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply