Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Now that gas is cheaper, its cold, and dark early, how is the bike commuting going
Quote | Reply
I'm down to twice a week, three times a week on good weather week and four times on a really good week. For the record, I am only 10K ride from work and I have showers here.

Earlier I said that I wanted to ride even through the depth of the winter here in Ottawa, but black ice and snow in the dark are forcing me to reconsider this committment. I might ride TO work in daylight some days and run home in the dark and then bring the car the following day to pick up my bike. That might work.

How about you guys?
Quote Reply
Re: Now that gas is cheaper, its cold, and dark early, how is the bike commuting going [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, fortunately I live only 2 miles from work, and about 1 mile of that I can cover on river trails. the other mile I have about .25 mile of serious traffic exposure, the rest is back roads. So, so far I have been able to ride in in light and home in the dark.

I'm 5 out of 5 for the last 5 weeks, with one spill on the first snowy day. I'm just going to keep pushing it until I have to quit because of snowpack.
Quote Reply
Re: Now that gas is cheaper, its cold, and dark early, how is the bike commuting going [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still averaging 4 days a week, Had a couple 5 day weeks even recently. This we may be a bust with it being 3 day week and a snow storm forcast for tomorrow. I'm really hoping to keep with it through most of the winter. I'm still riding my Tri bike but I think tonight I'll dust of the Mountain bike.

I've got a 10W headlight that illuminates the road fairly well and of course a blinking tail light. Wear a reflective vest too.

I don't feel too unsafe in the dark. I think I'm more visible with all the lights then during the day.

We'll see how I feel when the roads get Iced up. I do have Nokia studded tires for the MB so that should help. I have fairly well travelled roads to ride on so I'll be seeing how that feels with some snow banks too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in halifax. I should be ok for the winter, as we don't get as cold as you Upper Canadians. Trying to ride in at least 3 days per week, as long as its not raining in the morning. I don't mind getting wet on the way home, but its a bad way to start the day.

Get a good set of lights. I use a 10watt nightrider, and have no problems riding at o'dark thirty. I tend to stick to the side streets as much as possible as well. Adds a bit of time over taking the main road, but thats no problem, just extra training.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of late, we've had unusually mild weather in the Northeast : )
so I've had some nice rides on both my tri & mt bikes., not commuting rides though.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The commuting thread you started last month inspired me and I've been riding 4 times/week. My commute is 25km each way and includes a stop at the pool on MWF mornings. I wimped out last week when it was -15C in the morning, but the roads were also really slick since it had snowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I admit it -- I stopped :-(

I needed a break (Mental and Physical) - will start again in Jan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still going but when its not raining/snowing. today was relatively mild though :) ~8C yeah I'm not sure about this riding on black ice nonsense (ie. i didn't ride on Thursday(?) when it was -5C)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still managing to ride 20K to work and 25-40K home 5 days a week (dark both ways). Had to switch to a better headlight system after almost hitting a coyote one morning when I surprised a pack. I also ended up in the middle of a panicking deer herd one evening last week. The better lights make it easier to pick a path across the ice too.

Still riding the fixed gear bike most days but once the ice gets really bad I’ll have to switch to the Softride mountain bike with studded tires.

It’s been mid teens this week in Calgary so most the snow and ice are gone right now. The only paths with ice are in some of the forests I ride through on the way downtown. The coldest commute so far this winter has been about -10.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by slimjim [ In reply to ]
Re: Now that gas is cheaper, its cold, and dark early, how is the bike commuting going [slimjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried cyclecross tires on the fixie?

My fork only has clearance for a 25 - 28c tire so the studded tires won't fit (I'm riding a Soma Rush). I've been considering the cyclecross tires for better traction given I need to stay with a narrow tire but don't know how they would be on ice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 days a week due to school 2 nights a week, and enjoying it once I figured out a route that wouldn't get me killed (riding NYC crosstown rush hour on 34th past the Lincoln Tunnel and Penn Station at 830am was not a wise choice). Mornings are easier but riding through NYC traffic during evening rush hour is great for my bike handling skills. The west side bike path is my cool down session :) I use my MTB headlamp so I'm a little more visible, plus at my height, I look down into car windshields, so they get a big flood of light. The bike messengers and the food delivery guys laugh at the beam ("Damn that's a bright light", "Now that's a headlight").

Selling the fixie (too small) and getting a larger CX bike with a flip-flop hub for commuting and SS CX racing. Want to try CX next year, so this seemed a good way to go. Hoping once I'm done with school in Dec that I'll go to 4 days a week. That will be severely tested in late Jan/early Feb when it gets scary cold in NYC.
Quote Reply
Re: Now that gas is cheaper, its cold, and dark early, how is the bike commuting going [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you guys are pretty studly. I feel pretty lame compared to most of you. To me it does not matter how cold it is, there is no problem getting going in the morning, but man, at the end of the day when I am fried at 6:30 pm or so, semi bonkings, and having to fight a northwesterly wind, seemingly blowing straight out of Tuktoyoktuk across the Canadian Shield to Ottawa, it ain't a lot of fun. It puts a different spin on "suck it up and make friends with pain...and I only have 10K to do..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going well - of course, getting my truck run into and having it in the shop for a month while insurance companies fight helped :) (her company lost and paid for the 5G of damages)

Also, the weather has been pretty nice - will see once winter actually hits here in south dakota.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dropped way off the last three weeks... but the trainer really sucks and I'm finding I miss the early morning ride... using the Thankgiving holiday to gearup for the rest of the winter.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Commuting 5 days a week. It's been an incredibly nice winter in Alberta this year, still no snow on the ground, and upwards of +10C every day for the last while. Chilly in the morning (around -6C), but nowhere near as bad as last year, so no excuse to stop. I only stop commuting in January, just for a break in the routine. By February, I'm itching to get back on the road again.

Chris

--
"I do not hurt on the bike, I punish."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going well four days per week 19 miles one way trip here in Phoenix. It is starting to get a little chilly in the mornings, I even had to put on some armwarmers last week for the ride to work.

Looks like we might even have overnight lows in the 40's coming up and I will have to pull out the vest and knee warmers......Oh the inhumanity :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3x/week, usually MWF. So far my coldest morning has been 38F. Hooray Texas.

I bought a NiteRider Evolution that has just enough burn time to get me to and from work, and then needs to be charged when I get home. 10 watts is such a huge improvement over my little Cateye that I used to use. Now I keep the Cateye on my helmet as backup in case the NiteRider dies.

The hardest part? Getting out of bed on time when the bedroom is cold. Warm beds are hard to leave.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by slimjim [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: slimjim: Nov 21, 05 15:14
Quote | Reply
I was consistently riding four days a week, approx. 10K each way.

Then the big Kona jinks.

Long story short, the first of the month I head to Kona for a 10 days. Bring my bike shoes and pedals and very much looking forward to getting some long rides in without bundling up and the first day in Hawaii, I end up with pneumonia.. AGHHH!! Have not been on my bike since.

Tried a short run today and felt ok. Will try to get back on the bike tomorrow AM.

Wish me luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Now that gas is cheaper, its cold, and dark early, how is the bike commuting going [slimjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same concern about the compound being too hard on cross tires.

We get a lot of freeze / thaw so can have ice sheets that are blocks long. For ice I found a knobby sand tire (extremely soft compound for the sand) works even better than the studded tires. The problem is the fork clearance required means they can only be used on mountian bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still commuting to work every day. Of course it is easier for me because I am in Florida! Have had a couple of mornings near freezing though. With the time change my morning ride is in the daylight and return is in darkness. I generally ride home following an hour in the pool after work. It is nice way to add mileage. By friday I have 125 miles without really trying. About the worst I will see around here is maybe 25 degrees for a couple of mornings. Should be no problem commuting through the winter. The couple of times we had thick fog or heavy rain and I had to take the car, I really missed being on the bike. The more I ride, the more I like it. I especially like riding at night with a headlight. I can't believe that I did not try this earlier.

A nice side effect is that I have dropped some weight this year. I can see my abdominal muscles for the first time in 15 years! I have not really tried to lose weight, it just happened.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Now that gas is cheaper, its cold, and dark early, how is the bike commuting going [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wimped out this morning. 2 degrees, and snow falling. I finished my 90 min run and was waffling and ended up heading down to the basement and just doing a short 30 min on the trainer, with 4x5 min @ 250W. Then I walked my son to school, hopped in the car and drove to work. I really should have walked with my son with my bike and ridden to work...

The ride home last nite in the dark was actually quite nice. I was almost thinking of tacking on an extra 10-20K, but decided that I'd rather hang out with my family than do more training :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next