Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solid 50 fly!

Friday AM
800 WU
16x50 @ :45 every 4th fast (:30-31)
12x50 @ :50 every 3rd fast (:30)
8x50 @ :55 every 2nd fast (:30)
4x50 @ 1:00 all fast (:29-30)
100 ez
6x100 kick @ 1:45
12x25 fly @ :30
200 cd
4,000 scy

Sat PM - 1,000 easy recovery after 4.5 hr ride.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another long lazy day
2000s
5x100 various kicks
10x100@1:30 ~1:15
5x100 various kicks
20x50@1:00 alt bk/br

5000 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11-10 (Kick Day)

w/u 300 Free
3 x 50 :20 rest (single arm, single arm, catch-up)
3 x (50 Serape Kick, 50 Serape Kick, 150 as 50 Tarzan, 100 Free)
6 x 100 Kick as 25 fast, 50 medium, 25 fast into 10 Pressouts w/:15 Rest
6 x 100 Free (#2 & #3 fast) with :30 rest
100 EZ

2500 LCM

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like your back is doing a bit better?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a bit of kick today too, though not near as much. Today was VO2 and kick.
400s/300kd/200p/100s
4x(100pull on 1:35 (ez), 4x75 on :60 avg :57-58ish)
10x100 hard kick with board and fins on 1:40 avg 1:22-1:24
300ez
4300scy
Legs were tired after a rough weekend but the kicks felt decent

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife took some video of my races last weekend. Anyone want to tear my stroke apart? It's above water only so maybe not terribly useful. I'm in Lane 5 (second from the bottom).

50 free - https://www.youtube.com/...0GOBPaufAHecXr0yPOsw

100 breast - https://www.youtube.com/...0GOBPaufAHecXr0yPOsw

I also have video of the 200 free but Jason is in the lane beside me so it would be a spoiler for his virtual 200 free race with TrisliceRS. :)
Last edited by: Zenmaster28: Nov 10, 14 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Seems like your back is doing a bit better?
Not really. I can't flip turn. Or rather, I think flip turns aggravated my back which threw me into emergency. I still have a lot of pain and so my turns are pretty gentle. I'm hanging in there on ibuprofen and Percocet... and the occasional sip of bourbon.

This AM:
1000s
5x100 various kicks
5x150@2:15 1:55~1:48

250 s/k cool

2500 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
My wife took some video of my races last weekend. Anyone want to tear my stroke apart? It's above water only so maybe not terribly useful.

100 breast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKwePXtlrXM&list=UUwL0GOBPaufAHecXr0yPOsw

I also have video of the 200 free but Jason is in the lane beside me so it would be a spoiler for his virtual 200 free race with TrisliceRS. :)

So I looked at the 50 and have to ask since I might have missed it...which one are you?!

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA! I guess that's somewhat important information. :) I'm in Lane 5 (second from the bottom) in both.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your breaststroke is a lot better than mine, and luckily for you, you managed to beat my teammate up in lane 2. She's 5 months pregnant...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 10, 14 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Your breaststroke is a lot better than mine, and luckily for you, you managed to beat my teammate up in lane 2. She's 5 months pregnant...

So, in the "it's a small world" category. I used to swim on a team with two of her sisters (20+ years ago).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on the 50 - not much on the stroke mechanics itself since I can't see shit through all the splash. a few technical things though

you're lifting your head before the breakout.
breathing too often. you'll have all the time you want to breathe after the race is over. on the 2nd 25 you had a couple of cycles where you breathed 4 instead of 2, looked a lot better...
timing your last arm pull into the wall before the turn, looks like you were gliding into the turn. maybe another stroke?
head is a bit too high in general.

(I do all those same things, hard habits to break in a race).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, those are all good points. Even my wife commented on the breathing too often and she's not a swimmer at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
500 swim
28x50 pull with paddles on 50
1-16 every 4th fast
17-28 every 3rd fast
100 easy

2000scm

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I wish there were more meets in Oregon. I am trying to get into the Bowdoin Open in Maine in December, but need a 19:29 in the 1650 or SCM equivalent of that. The only opportunity to swim that even is Dec 6 and entries to the Bowdoin Open are due Dec. 7 ... so I have one shot, at a meet 3 hrs away :P

Maybe next year I'll try to be a meet organizer. My meet will have a 500, a 1000, AND a 1650. Humph.

You're in portland, right? I was poking around on the USMS website, and found this meet as well, Washington in November. I was trying to look up heat sheets for trisliceRS's meet, no luck yet though :( http://www.usms.org/...etID=20141122trifecY

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
My wife took some video of my races last weekend. Anyone want to tear my stroke apart? It's above water only so maybe not terribly useful. I'm in Lane 5 (second from the bottom).

50 Free - Is that a breath I saw on the first stroke after the start? =) Jason covered the breathing, which I agree with. When I raced I usually did one on the first 25 a few strokes before the turn and usually 2 coming home in a scm pool. Turnover-I would work on a quicker turnover. Learn to get ~2 good dolphin kicks coming off the wall. Hard to tell from the angle but I think you came up before the flags. Work on getting little further I think. I would probably do some plyometrics to help with the starts too (and turns).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG8N5hSd-g4

100 Breast - IMHO, your breast mechanics are good. With that, I feel you need to turn over a lot quicker. From hands at chest to extension, speed that up. Throw'em out in front of you. On your breathing, try to keep your head a little more tilted in the direction you are going. This will help keep the chest more horizontal and not create as much drag as you do the recovery (which we want FAST!). I do like your mechanics on this stroke.

Notice Jeff's turnover and how quick he gets his hand from chest to extension. He swims the 100 the same way. I spent my youth getting my butt kicked by him regulary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj3Ar3AU_ig

Disclaimer: I am not a fish

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to work on my starts like crazy. Especially after watching that Nathan Adrian video.

Unfortunately I don't get a lot of opportunity to practice starts - the deep end of the pool is usually occupied when I'm there with diving team or waterpolo practice.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corvallis, so that's like a 5 hr drive. Too far...

Saturday: off
Sunday: 16 mi trail race. Wicked hilly, averaged 10:51 per mile. 3rd in AG. There may have only been 3 people in my AG; I don't know.
Today: 7 mi EASY run + 4000 yd swim

500 w/u
2 x [50 fast + 50 kick] :35s
2 x [100 fast + 50 kick] 1:10, 1:12
300 easy
500 fast 6:10
2 x 50 on 1:00 easy
300 easy
300 fast 3:39
2 x 50 on 1:00 easy
12 x 100 on 1:25
200 back c/d

3.99 mi behind on the FLOG

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 10, 14 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masters tonight.

60x50 (various things @55 or 60)

3000 scm

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morning 11/11
800wu then a ton of random stroke stuff, about 3000scy--left early so would have been more but my right hip was really sore/tight

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge (the 8th annual or something like that) [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open Water Swim this AM. Once again beautiful conditions, but my sciatica was really causing a problem --- until I got in the water. I swam three loops of the buoys at Corona Del Mar and then an extra out and back to the outer buoy. 3000 yards. Once I got back on land, my leg started hurting bad and I was having the usual difficulty getting my wetsuit past my ankles. Doing the old stand one one leg and lift the other to pull foot out of the wetsuit only creates a vacuum. My leg hurt so much and I was pissed, I just pulled really hard and tore the lower leg right off the wetsuit - a good 5 inches from the bottom. I'll just cut the legs that short. I don't need that bit of neoprene down there anyway.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi easy run, 2200 yd swim. Little tired.

400 w/u
4 x 100 on 1:25
100 kick
5 x 200 on 3:30 best average 2:34, :31, :31, :30, :34
300 c/d kicked some of it

3.74 mi behind on FLOG

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I'm officially back to kicking ass and taking names. Nothing over 2500 yards yet, but sure beats the 8 weeks of staring at my ceiling not being able to do a damn thing...

500 w/u
4 x 100 on 1:40 (arrived 1:15-1:17)
4 x 50 left fin only choice on 1:10
3 x 150 as 50 build, 50 drill, 50 race on 2:45
4 x 50 right fin only choice on 1:10
6 x 50 TAG 50s (done with three people, so you went when the person in front of you hit 25 yards. OOF.)
200 cool

God it feels good to swim and feel like an athlete again.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tigerchik wrote:
I wish there were more meets in Oregon....
Too late, TC, to enter for this week's meet. I think the last opportunity for the year is in Bend on Dec 6th.

Nice times, Jason. I felt good swimming over the weekend, but I am in Denver for work for two days, so no more swimming until Thursday.... rats... My hotel has a, what, 15m pool... I am not jazzed to go bother....

The meet is this Saturday. I just looked at the sign up sheets. I see Trexlera signed up -- With some pretty smoking times to boot! This should be fun. Here's the meet info.

1. Hood River scm Meet, Hood River, Sat 15 Nov.
• Info & Registration: https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1352&smid=5841
• Entry Deadline: Wed 5 Nov.

2. All-Around scm Meet (Pentathlon & Brute Squad format), Bend, Sat 6 Dec.
• Info & Registration: https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1352&smid=5849
• Entry Deadline: Fri 28 Nov.

Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Thanks for not sharing. I feel great pressure for this weekend.

Prev Next