Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Notes from the swim trials.....spoiler
Quote | Reply
Went to the swim trials yesterday and had a great time. I can now see exactly why they would choose to build that temp pool. Coming from a swimmer, it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. 10,000 people going nuts for a swimming event. It made me want to cry.

Jenny Thompson makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. She carries around a presence that commands attention. From the nose bleeds I got goose bumps when she walked out. Most decorated olympic athlete ever! Wow...and again backwards, woW.

W 100 Fly finals. What more can you say. That was a great race. Thompson leads at the turn, gets out-touched at the finish, olympic spot in the balance. That would make her the second woman behind Dara Torres to swim in 4 Olympics. hope she makes it.

M 100 Breast. WORLD RECORD SWIM! 59.30 How many world records have you seen? That was great, those final 20 meters the stadium was g-o-i-n-g n-u-t-s! What a powerfull stroke. Fifty-nine point three!!!

The coolest moments during the day...Any time they would show the qualifiers for the simi's or finals, there would always be a group of people somewhere that would give a loud cheer. You just knew it was some no name high school or college kid that made the cut. Very cool...When Hansen was being interviewed after his WR he thanked the crowd saying "we really can hear you"...

Swimming notes.......There was a glaring difference in form between the people who made finals and those who did not. To say the least, any swimmer there would swim circles around the best triathletes in the world, but to see so many obvious flaws in so many fast strokes made me think. There is always room to improve, and more than likely there is a lot of room. You really could tell who would win based on stoke. Tight races were one thing but most of the time you could watch the first half of the race and know who was going to win. People like Stitz, Krazelburg, Klete, etc, were just going through the motions until the final 10 meters where they would take control and put everyone away. I had a bit of an argument at the pool the other day with a guy that insisted that he needed to do 500 TT's in order to get faster. His stroke was crap and I told him he needed to do more drills to get faster, not TT's. There is a place for just going hard but I think most triathletes need to do far more form work in the water. Just remember, when you start to think you are a good swimmer, there is someone out there at the Olympic trials who still needs stroke work. maybe you should skip that "sprints day" workout a do a few thousand on drills.

Swim happy, the rest of your day might suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Notes from the swim trials.....spoiler [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recap, sounds like an exciting day. Wish I could have been there... (I love your quote)

So which swim events will the US take gold in the Olympics this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Swimming notes.......There was a glaring difference in form between the people who made finals and those who did not.

This is really true. A guy named Rich Seeger swam for one of our arch rivals. He went on to lead off the US 4 x 200 meter relay team in the prelims in the 1984 games. Anyway, the most amazing athletic feat that I have ever seen in person was his swimming the 200 free at our high school championships in 1982. Most of the others in his prelim heat were swimming between 1:43 and 1:45, which are pretty respectable high school times. He won his heat by half a pool length. He went 1:37 flat and won the finals by more than 4 seconds. Oh, and I'm not bragging about myself here. I was watching the 200 free prelims because I never got very close to a 1:45.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wednesday night might have been even better. 3 finals (M&W 400 IM, M 400 Fr), 2 semi-finals (W 100 Fly and M 100 Br). American or US Open records fell in all three finals and one of the semis. Phelps of course broke his own world record in the 400 IM. Probably a dozen olympic medalists swimming (Thompson, Phelps, Moses, Hyman etc.) Janet Evans was there to give little 15 year-old Katie Hoff her medal for breaking her (Janet's) old US open and meet record. Local boy Larsen Jensen swam really well and qualified in the 400 Free and a girl from my high school (who I am unfortunately way, way too old to have known) swam in 100 fly semis and almost made finals.

Couldn't agree more that the trials are great. There are still tickets available. If you live and southern california and you're not there, you'd better be in jail or dead. And if you're in jail, break out.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Notes from the swim trials.....spoiler [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't you think that Phelps might have peaked too close to the olympics with the trials in july?

not that there should be anyone close to him on the 200 and 400IM, but will he get the gold and get the record again? (I know, it's asking a lot... :-) )
Quote Reply
Re: Notes from the swim trials.....spoiler [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's definitely a concern. I think that the US "win and in" trials system is the only way you can pick a team when you have the depth and breadth of swimming talent that the US does but having a super fast, super competitive trials meet is inherently problematic. You either put it so close that to the olympics that you have to try to hit both meets on the same peak or you put them so far apart that you pick people who peak well for trials but may well not hit their second peak as well for the olympics or you split the difference and don't have enough time for a full recovery, work period and taper and you pay your money and take your chances. We seem to be taking option 3.

If you want my prediction, I say yes, he will win gold and break his own record but time will tell...

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply