Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not really OT: Help from Excel experts for training diary
Quote | Reply
I have built a training diary in Excel that is working pretty well for me in most respects. I’m an intermediate user of Excel, familiar with most basic features but don’t dig deeply into the program’s more advanced features. Creating it myself allows me to customize it to my needs, and I have built a few charts that show weekly time, mileage, body weight, time on a couple of recurring training races, etc. I am now entering my second year of data into the file, which also opens up some interesting charting possibilities.

The problem I am encountering is with tracking time. I have a column into which I enter daily time, and then I total this on a weekly and cumulative basis. I have been formatting the cells as time. The problem with this is that the formula that displays cumulative time never shows more than 24 hours, i.e., if I’ve accumulated 27:30 of total time, the formula displays 3:30. The Excel help feature hasn’t shed any light on this.

It has occurred to me to just format the time cells as general and enter time in minutes as a straight number, so instead of 2:15, I would enter 135 for a two-and-a-quarter hour workout. Most of my workouts are short enough that this is not too cumbersome, although it is not as elegant as I’d like. A cumulative time in decimal format is easy, although I suppose it would be possible to create some kind of conditional formula that would convert 27.5 hours to 27:30.

Any better suggestion from any Excel experts out there would be welcome, math never was my best subject.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Not really OT: Help from Excel experts for training diary [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switched over to minutes as Excel is clunky with time. So my daily logs have minutes (90 minute run, 120 minute ride etc.) and my weekly total sums up the minutes & divides by 60 to get it into hours -- 8.82 hours for instance. I don't even bother converting it into 8:xx:xx format as in my head I can get close enough. The decimal format makes it super easy for Excel to deal with it, so you can do charts to your heart's content.
Quote Reply
Re: Not really OT: Help from Excel experts for training diary [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- mark the cells in which you enter time
- select format
- select cells
- select time
on the right hand, select the time display that reads
37:30:55

if you do =sum(firstcell:lastcell), e.g., =sum(A1:A25), you should be good to go. At least you are in Excel 2003

Let me know if you have problems w/ this and I'll send you a sample spreadsheet so you can cut and paste.

JB

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Format your time column as custom [h]:mm
It will require a zero in the column if you are entering time < 1hr. Otherwise, this will show hours > 24

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Not really OT: Help from Excel experts for training diary [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To convert minutes back to hours and minutes:
-format the destination cell as hh:mm
-in destination cell use formula =a1/1440
where a1 is your cell with minutes

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Not really OT: Help from Excel experts for training diary [notbroken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, that was easy when you get someone that knows what they are doing. JB's suggestion worked, but included the seconds, which I don't want. Notbroken got me exactly where I wanted to be.

I knew I would get an answer that worked from this site, I just didn't expect it so quickly. This site rocks, thanks guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The foolproof method is as follows:

A1 = 26.34 minutes
A2 = A1 * 60 * timevalue("0:0:1")

format A2 as [mmm]:ss.00 for "026:20.40", or
format A2 as hh:mm for "00:26"

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it as a percentage of time. If I do 45min workout I put in .75, etc...

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right click the cell and select format cell. On the number tab, select custom under the category. then in the window that opens type the following...

[H]:mm:ss;@

this will give your time in hours and minutes and seconds. The only caveat is you have to enter the information in that way. What I mean is for a ride of 2 hour and 35 minutes you need to enter: 2:35:00

I hope this helps...

bananashirt..
Quote Reply