Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not pushing myself enough in Ironman
Quote | Reply
Last year I had a goal of breaking 10 hours, if not low 10s (10.10ish) was my goal. Unfortunately I flatted at 60km and then had a slow flat which I first noticed at 130km. I found out when I got home it was a leaky valve from the replacement tyre (tubular), so I'd ridden 120km with a slow flat. It went completely flat with 200m to go, which was pretty fortunate. No idea how much it took out of me, HR was higher than normal, bike time slower than I aimed for (5.23) and goals were out the window. I would have had to have run a 3.26 to break 10.

It kind of killed my motivation a little bit. Maybe motivation is the wrong word. I always push myself. Perhaps purpose is a better word? As soon as I started suffering, I was walking aid stations (unnecessarily) for a lot longer than I needed to. 3kms to go I dawdled through an aid station like I was going for a Sunday morning stroll with my Grandma, until someone yelled at me to run. I think the issue was I no longer had a goal. If I ran harder I would have got low 10.20s instead of 10.27 and not placed any higher which kind of took away my motivation to run harder.

So I'm now concerned I won't push myself even with my goals in sight and I'll end up walking aid stations. I don't think that will happen, but it's still a concern. Anyone else experienced this? Part of me thinks it's a normal human reaction when there are no goals like whats the point, part of me thinks I should have pushed as hard as I could till the bitter end...
Quote Reply
Re: Not pushing myself enough in Ironman [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's one of those things where you need that "big" goal, but then you need tons of "mini" goals along the way to always keep you motivated. So that in the exact event you have, you atleast have something "positive". The old addage of "staying in the moment" and dont let the swim affect your bike, and dont let how you've race for the first 6 hours, affect your next 4 hours, etc.

Essentially what your saying is you let 1 thing affect the rest of your race.

But there's also the "human element", that you're going to be pissed you just lost your KQ spot or that you lost your race time goal because of XYZ.....I think the less "outcome" you are as an athlete and the more "process" focused, you suddenly find yourself accepting you lost the goal because of something out of your hands, but that you won't let it affect the rest of the time.

And I think sometimes people think "well your basically saying you dont care about the outcome" and it's not that. It's that if I focus on the task at hand and prepare in that manner, that even though I may have lost my overall outcome goal, I'm atleast going to finish with a positive, and not have this as my lasting memory:

3kms to go I dawdled through an aid station like I was going for a Sunday morning stroll with my Grandma, until someone yelled at me to run.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Buddhist teachings, there is a metaphor of The Second Arrow. I’ve been thinking about this myself a lot lately as well.

The saying goes that the first arrow is the misfortune that befalls you. There’s nothing you can do about that. The arrow hits you and it hurts. The second arrow is how you react to the first arrow. This is entirely within our control.

You’re going to get hit with an arrow at some point during a race. How you respond to it is the bigger test.

I’m not a Buddhist, but the metaphor certainly relates to racing, and everyday life pretty well!
Quote Reply
Re: Not pushing myself enough in Ironman [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a slow guy but don’t get caught up in the moment. Getting a flat, cramp, swim in stupid cold weather, thunder storm cancelling the race... everything’s a part of the race. Look at the big picture and change your perspective. To me good race is when I gave everything I got regardless of time and walking during the run. That my friend is a good race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is part of the allure of racing an Ironman. It's a long day out but what drives you? I am sure there were many training sessions you sucked up with the goal of reaching your goal at the Ironman. I think you need to develop the mental toughness and learn how to race. When it all goes south I like to pick someone in my age group that comes past and decide to race that person. I hate loosing so once I have picked who I am racing I can suffer like a dog... Good luck at Busso ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Not pushing myself enough in Ironman [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool thanks lads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zedzded

I can relate to your post. Wholly.

I've gone sub 10 and going into Kona this year, I had the best training numbers I've ever had. I also had a great taper, felt rested, travelled well. New bike position (I thought I was used to it) and 5kg lighter without losing anything on FTP.

And then I totally flopped.

Mistakes: I mixed up my acetaminophen I brought in case of headache for salt tablets. Didn't get enough salt; affected my run nutrition. Bike fit was never going to work for me and I should have recognized that prior to the race.

But those mistakes do not add up to the 10:40 I produced on the day.
The crucial errors I made in the race and leading up:
I'm fitter, stronger and faster, therefore, Ironman will be easier.
Wow, the weather forecast does not seem like it will be too hot, this will make the race easier.
Racing in Kona is not as hard, hot and humid as my training in sweltering Taiwan.
My new aero position is sure to save watts and make the bike easier.
My nutrition plan has been working so well in training; nothing could go wrong this time.

What I should have done:
I'm fitter, stronger and faster, therefore, Ironman will be faster if I am willing to embrace the suffering it will take to break my PB.
Wow, the weather forecast does not seem like it will be too hot; the weather changes and a race course always feels a lot harder than walking around town. Be ready for the heat; you've trained for it and it will help you.
Racing is harder than training. It should be. And if it's not, you did not race. RACE.
The bike...well...that's such a long story.....
Nutrition...use my brain. But make things simpler for my brain because I know in the fog of Ironman the obvious is not obvious.

It was the kick in the ass I needed. Went back to my old bike, got a coach, and started to look at my mental fitness in the same way as my physical preparation.

It was recommended by someone else on a thread that publicvalerius in his real ID started about how to deal with negative self talk...the book "How Bad Do you want it: The Psychology of Mastering Mind over Muscle."
MAN do so many of the examples in this book remind me of my myself. Enjoying the read, gaining a better understanding of what I do wrong from a mental perspective, and learning some ideas on how to start turning the corner.

If anyone else has books/podcasts/information/whatever that has supported them in getting the best of themselves on race day, PLEASE do share! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Not pushing myself enough in Ironman [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that people underestimate the impact of mental strength, and in my own experience it is the races that go wrong where you learn the most. Over the past 4 years, I have competed in 30 triathlons, and can recall only one where everything went perfectly, all the others have had some issue or area where I know I could have done much better.

This year in Hamburg, I did the IM as a bit of fun, certainly not my "A" race, but I was targeting a sub 10 hour time. During the swim I was kicked in the face had a bloody nose, massive headache, and almost pulled out, however, after a few minutes of really slow swimming (feeling very sorry for myself) I pulled myself back together, completed the swim around 10 minutes slower than expected. I just thought lets enjoy the day and see what happens: I had a pretty decent bike leg, and then had the run of my life (3h22), my recollection of the run is that I enjoyed every one of those 42kms. I finished in 10h2m, less than 10 minutes off a Kona spot (which I would not have been able to take due to work commitments in October)

When things don't go well, shift away from your original goal, otherwise you will feel that you have failed, work out what you want to get out of the race. Maybe you could have tried something new during the run, like see how long you could hold a fast pace before you blow up, or maybe do something different with your nutrition, or maybe try to do an Ironman run PB. There's always another Ironman, so do what you need to do to motivate you for the next one.

In my case, I didn't break 10 hours, but I learned something far more valuable: Prior to this IM, I felt that I could qualify for Kona one day..... after this Ironman, I now know that I will qualify for Kone one day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Last year I had a goal of breaking 10 hours, if not low 10s (10.10ish) was my goal. Unfortunately I flatted at 60km and then had a slow flat which I first noticed at 130km. I found out when I got home it was a leaky valve from the replacement tyre (tubular), so I'd ridden 120km with a slow flat. It went completely flat with 200m to go, which was pretty fortunate. No idea how much it took out of me, HR was higher than normal, bike time slower than I aimed for (5.23) and goals were out the window. I would have had to have run a 3.26 to break 10.

It kind of killed my motivation a little bit. Maybe motivation is the wrong word. I always push myself. Perhaps purpose is a better word? As soon as I started suffering, I was walking aid stations (unnecessarily) for a lot longer than I needed to. 3kms to go I dawdled through an aid station like I was going for a Sunday morning stroll with my Grandma, until someone yelled at me to run. I think the issue was I no longer had a goal. If I ran harder I would have got low 10.20s instead of 10.27 and not placed any higher which kind of took away my motivation to run harder.

So I'm now concerned I won't push myself even with my goals in sight and I'll end up walking aid stations. I don't think that will happen, but it's still a concern. Anyone else experienced this? Part of me thinks it's a normal human reaction when there are no goals like whats the point, part of me thinks I should have pushed as hard as I could till the bitter end...

How are you feeling for this weekend JP? Ready??!! What do you think of the weather forecast etc??
If it is any motivation for you to push harder, I think we are in the same age group and I will doing my first IM, likely have a similar swim and bike time to you but don't think my run will be as strong, always been my limiter. Good luck and see you down there!
Quote Reply
Re: Not pushing myself enough in Ironman [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
zedzded wrote:

How are you feeling for this weekend JP? Ready??!! What do you think of the weather forecast etc??
If it is any motivation for you to push harder, I think we are in the same age group and I will doing my first IM, likely have a similar swim and bike time to you but don't think my run will be as strong, always been my limiter. Good luck and see you down there!

Will be warm on the run, but windless so fast on the bike! More or less ready, slight calf niggle, hopefully she holds up. Who's this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Will be warm on the run, but windless so fast on the bike! More or less ready, slight calf niggle, hopefully she holds up. Who's this?

Did you end up getting that calf worked on?
Quote Reply
Re: Not pushing myself enough in Ironman [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the best advice I have read, thank you.

Needed this on Sunday at IM AZ. Was on track for my 10 hour goal through mile 8 of the run when my stomach revolted, and the rest of my run went like the OP’s. Finding someone to race is a great idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Not pushing myself enough in Ironman [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Did you end up getting that calf worked on?

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Calf is ok. Not been tested since nov 10 when I pulled up sore at 20km. Since then only ran 8 - 12km and it’s been fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you go JP? That heat was brutal and the run became a walk-run from early on for me. Was always going to be a PB being my first IM.
Bike was good although so many bloody blatant drafters out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
How did you go JP? That heat was brutal and the run became a walk-run from early on for me. Was always going to be a PB being my first IM.

Hey mate. Nah no good. 11.38. Over an hour slower than last year. Stuck to my power on the bike, but I was cooking out there, HR was too high, was trying to cool myself down with cold water, but started feeling sick, couldnt get gels down and it was game over. Got to T2 wanting to DNF, but run/walked for 20kms, stopped feeling sick, ran for 15kms, then sickness returned with a vengeance. Walked the last 1km just to make sure I didn't puke as I ran down the finishers chute!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

Hey mate. Nah no good. 11.38. Over an hour slower than last year. Stuck to my power on the bike, but I was cooking out there, HR was too high, was trying to cool myself down with cold water, but started feeling sick, couldnt get gels down and it was game over. Got to T2 wanting to DNF, but run/walked for 20kms, stopped feeling sick, ran for 15kms, then sickness returned with a vengeance. Walked the last 1km just to make sure I didn't puke as I ran down the finishers chute!

Sounds similar to me.
Swim was good, probably over biked in that heat, HR started high and would not settle but power and RPE were OK so I just decided to carry on at that. Went under 2:30 for the first lap then about 2:34 for the second, that wind changed direction and meant a tough head wind home. Was hydrating as much as possible but the heat was brutal. Got off the bike and thought I was OK but after that first turnaround at the southern end knew I would be in for a long long run and ended up with a 4:25 marathon....should have been at least 35 mins faster but felt sick the whole way.
Feeling accomplished though to go sub 11 on my first attempt in that heat....
An amazing atmosphere in Busso, such a great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

Sounds similar to me.
Swim was good, probably over biked in that heat, HR started high and would not settle but power and RPE were OK so I just decided to carry on at that. Went under 2:30 for the first lap then about 2:34 for the second, that wind changed direction and meant a tough head wind home. Was hydrating as much as possible but the heat was brutal. Got off the bike and thought I was OK but after that first turnaround at the southern end knew I would be in for a long long run and ended up with a 4:25 marathon....should have been at least 35 mins faster but felt sick the whole way.
Feeling accomplished though to go sub 11 on my first attempt in that heat....
An amazing atmosphere in Busso, such a great race.

Yeah similar to mine. I rode 2.35 first lap then 2.40 2nd lap and yeah probably overbiked in the heat. I reckon I would have had to have biked much slower to salvage my race. I was so dark about the wind, double headwind...I've done 3 IMWA and 9 Busso 70.3. never had a double headwind before.
Quote Reply