Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
North America Summer Living
Quote | Reply
If you were to spend 3-4 months living anywhere in North America each year for the Summer with a view to having a great training and outdoors environment, where would you choose and why?
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [hodgey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not even a remotely challenging question. PNW (or PSW in Canada). Perfect weather, lakes to swim in, mountains to climb, trails galore, lots of triathletes/cyclists/runners. Portland, Bend, outside of Seattle, my home of Bellingham, greater Vancouver, Whistler. Hard to find anything better for july-sept.

Southwest is too hot, Colorado has too many t-storms (I might have made that statistic up).

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coastal North San Diego County. But, it's too freaking expensive.
Not too hot, no rain, all kinds of riding, lots of trails to run, nice ocean to swim in.
Too freaking expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Central or Southern California for sure. Temperate climate with lots of training options
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want something that is similar to Kona, the south is great. So stinking hot with humidity you can cut it *disclaimer* bring extra water bottles*
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northern Michigan (traverse city or harbor springs area)

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the Green Mountains of Northern VT and love it up here. Same effect in the Adirondacks but is an outdoor playground with too little time to play in the summer :-)

Banger
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:

Beautiful area but not the most cyclist friendly drivers in the world. I do some riding in that area every summer and find that drivers are less inclined to give me space than they are at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Tampa, Florida. If I won the lottery and could spend entire summers elsewhere, I would probably rotate to different places each year. Off the top of my head, I would like to spend a summer training in Bend, then in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, then flip back out west to Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. Then out of North America and over to Sweden for a summer on the Island of Djurgarden (Stockholm). All places have great advantages. All have access to swimming, great roads and trails, and most important great summer weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Atlantic Canada. Cheapish, little traffic, great landscapes, beaches. And, damn, the people are friendly.

Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thought of having to put a wetsuit on to enjoy the beach in the summer is disturbing to me. I don't think there is a perfect place anywhere, but I would choose coastal SE.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a home in Holderness, NH on Squam Lake (quasi-famous for being the location where the movie On Golden Pond was shot). It is glorious in the summer.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bay of Fundy is cold, but New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI have beaches with water warm enough to go Speedo for a workout. Can't speak to Newfoundland.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New England can be real nice in the summer. Massachusetts has that unique ability to be an hour drive from dense woods or major metropolitan Boston from almost anywhere in the state. However the winter sucks and I can't stand any more snow. Why are we getting snow! WHHHHYYYYY!!!! STOPPPP IT'S SPRIIIINNGGG!!! (curls in ball crying)

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bend would be high up there. Otherwise, I gotta go with where I'm already at (PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think 72 degrees is warm enough for a speedo more power too ya. Nevertheless I love Atlantic Canada

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
San Luis Obispo.
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
The thought of having to put a wetsuit on to enjoy the beach in the summer is disturbing to me. I don't think there is a perfect place anywhere, but I would choose coastal SE.
Sorry, but I would disagree. I'm in coastal GA. Pretty darn hot here in the Summer. The ocean moderates the temp so it's better than inland, but in order to be in that "less brutal" proximity to the ocean, you have to put up with a lousy road network in the coastal marshlands and constant wind.

We all go inland on our rides, for the above reasons. Just have to put down lots of fluids. Running during the day tho is rough. In the Summer I shift to pre-dawn runs.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Beautiful area but not the most cyclist friendly drivers in the world. I do some riding in that area every summer and find that drivers are less inclined to give me space than they are at home.

Agree on the cycling. However, Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix in my neck of the woods is easily the best for OWS.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Portland
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
If you think 72 degrees is warm enough for a speedo more power too ya. Nevertheless I love Atlantic Canada

To me, 72º F is VERY warm for ocean swimming. Get that pretty infrequently overall. Usually mid 60º's is good. And. all of it is done w/o wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hodgey wrote:
If you were to spend 3-4 months living anywhere in North America each year for the Summer with a view to having a great training and outdoors environment, where would you choose and why?

What are you training for? I love Phoenix, it's hell on earth in the summer. However, if it's specifically for Kona...it's super hot and brutally humid. Perfect combo.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Thom wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Agree on the cycling. However, Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix in my neck of the woods is easily the best for OWS.
And don't forget Torch Lake, among the most beautiful in the world!

@brad_glasgow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't beat Southern Georgian Bay area in Ontario - Collingwood in particular. Great OWS, lots of trails, great cycling community!
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:

... Colorado has too many t-storms (I might have made that statistic up).

Yes, I think you made that one up. I lived in Loveland / Fort Collins / Boulder area for 10 years. With 300+ days of sunshine per year and an average rainfall of sub 15 inches, it's pretty ideal. That's especially true on the summer. Even when it rains it's pretty minor. I don't ever recall aborting a ride for rain.

There is plenty of climbing if you turn west for challenge and flats for steady efforts if you turn east.

Summer temp is pretty mild, but not so mild that you don't have some heat adaptation. It certainly won't prepare you for the worst of the extremes (southeast us summers / Hawaii), though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next