Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Normal spacing of a Ultegra 12-27 cassette?
Quote | Reply
What is the normal spacing for an Ultegra 12-27 10 speed cassette? My shifting was great prior to taking my cassette off to instal a disc cover for a race a couple months ago. After I re-installed the cassette my shifting was quite poor. The shifting is sticky, with shifting up I often shift one time with no change, the next upshift will be a double shift. Downshifts are normal except clunky. I have since taken the cassette and cover on and off a couple times for different races. Shifting has not changed. I had a mechanic at one of the races adjust my rear deralleur which helped a little, but it is already back to crappy.

Did I put the plastic spacers in the wrong order? When I took the cassette off the first time I cleaned all the rings and didn't keep track of the order, thinking that you put the largest on first followed by smallest last, I didn't even think to keep track of the right order for the spacers. I think I put them on right but who knows. Would that make my shifting suck? If so, what is the correct order?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Normal spacing of a Ultegra 12-27 cassette? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is the normal spacing for an Ultegra 12-27 10 speed cassette? My shifting was great prior to taking my cassette off to instal a disc cover for a race a couple months ago. After I re-installed the cassette my shifting was quite poor. The shifting is sticky, with shifting up I often shift one time with no change, the next upshift will be a double shift. Downshifts are normal except clunky. I have since taken the cassette and cover on and off a couple times for different races. Shifting has not changed. I had a mechanic at one of the races adjust my rear deralleur which helped a little, but it is already back to crappy.

Did I put the plastic spacers in the wrong order? When I took the cassette off the first time I cleaned all the rings and didn't keep track of the order, thinking that you put the largest on first followed by smallest last, I didn't even think to keep track of the right order for the spacers. I think I put them on right but who knows. Would that make my shifting suck? If so, what is the correct order?

Thanks!

Spacers don't matter, but the direction the ring faces does. Each right has some writing/letters on it somewhere, which should be facing out(actually I don't know if it's possible to install the wrong way). Also make sure you have the spacer on the inside of the biggest ring still there (should be a very small thin metal spacer). Otherwise than those two things, it's very hard to mess up putting a cassette back on.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Normal spacing of a Ultegra 12-27 cassette? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two smallest cogs have built in spacers. The next few do have the plastic spacers between them, and the only way you could have incorrectly installed them was to do so upside down. There is also the metal spacer that goes between the largest cog and the hub that the above poster mentioned.

Just look at the cassette from behind the bike and see if all the cogs are evenly spaced. I once removed a cassette and forgot the metal spacer and it shifted poorly and the cassette was bouncing up and down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
futz around with the barrel adjuster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have omitted the first, narrow, metallic spacer that goes before the largest cog. It's required with Shimano cassettes on 9-10 speed freehub bodies. It's not required on 10-speed only freehub bodies.
Quote Reply
Re: Normal spacing of a Ultegra 12-27 cassette? [Matafan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is almost surely the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Normal spacing of a Ultegra 12-27 cassette? [mayhew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Check to see if there is any play in the cassette. The one time I made that mistake I realized something was wrong when I could still wiggle the cogs no matter how tight I cranked it.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your spacers really plastic? All of my Ultegra cassettes have had alloy spacers.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Normal spacing of a Ultegra 12-27 cassette? [Matafan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X3 on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Normal spacing of a Ultegra 12-27 cassette? [LabRat625] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope I didn't forget the thin metal spacer that goes on first. I know what you are talking about because I have done that before lol. There is no play is the cassette. It is on nice and tight.
So it doesn't matter the order of the other spacers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cover isn't affecting the spacing in any way, is it?

It may not be the cassette installation but one of the other common sources of problems like sticky cables/cable guides or a bent derailleur hanger. When my bikes develop rear shifting problems, it's almost always one of those two.
Quote Reply