Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nonsense swim cancellations: 70.3Lz
Quote | Reply
On those pictures you can see the "stormy seas" that lead to a swim cancellation last Saturday in IM70.3 Lz.
What is going on?

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Nonsense swim cancellations: 70.3Lz [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that the government of the Canaries forbid all swim contests because of expected heavy winds.
In practice in Lanzarote there were winds I heard making the bike difficult, but they seem to not have caused a lot of waves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree IM seem to be too quick cancelling the swim leg at times and find it very frustrating.

But I'll throw in an observation from the race I was at 8 days ago:- 4.30am (and overnight) 30 mph winds and a spring tide and a route past a rocky headland. It was clear the swim was a 'no'. Once out on the bike leg, I could see white caps on waves half a mile out from shore.

But later in the day, at another part of the bike course and also out on the run the sea looked pretty calm and inviting - a combination of the storm having died down over the following hours + a bay 20 miles further along the coast facing a different direction. If you see the photos from the latter areas you'd never have known how it was in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're all nonsense...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are those photos from the location that the swim would have taken place from?

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, looks hardcore...

https://twitter.com/.../1180170893802315776

Dr. Triax wrote:
On those pictures you can see the "stormy seas" that lead to a swim cancellation last Saturday in IM70.3 Lz.
What is going on?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Nonsense swim cancellations: 70.3Lz [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I love the comments, one Einstein commenting that you can still have rip tides even though there is no surf!! A lot of folks really reaching hard to justify cancelling the swim, no doubt the ones who cheer when it is announced...)-;
Quote Reply
Re: Nonsense swim cancellations: 70.3Lz [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was this IM's decision? it's described as "Canary Islands Government cancelled the swim section"
Quote Reply
Re: Nonsense swim cancellations: 70.3Lz [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This!
Quote Reply