Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non winning great Kona performances yesterday
Quote | Reply
Lucy Charles race with her repass at mile 24.
Ben Hoffman running through the field to 4th.
TO...what else needs to be said.
Linsey Corbin yet again bringing in a top-10 finish
Chris Leiferman's debut top-10 performance

What else happened yesterday in the pro ranks that wasn't covered too much or mentioned?
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunno.

Since it wasn’t covered or mentioned.
;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sergio winning the AG race with a 2:53 run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was really rooting for Anne as she was eating away time into Lucy. But as soon as it showed the pass was definitely going to happen, I felt really bad for Lucy. Pretty sure my family is super confused at my change in emotions at that event. Ugh!
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Braden curries run vey impressive. Dropped from third to about 18th on the bike and then caught back up to 7th on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vino killing it (well - he kinda won ...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought Joe Skipper put together a solid day. He’s one that I don’t think gets a lot of recognition but IMO had a great performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 pro men beat a doper who should have been banned for life. That's worth celebrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heather Jackson.
5th.
Don't actually remember even seeing her at all on the coverage, (except maybe at the finish line) .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apparently LS had a stellar performance.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [marzrya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marzrya wrote:
I thought Joe Skipper put together a solid day. He’s one that I don’t think gets a lot of recognition but IMO had a great performance.
This also!

"Discipline is the highest of all virtues. Only so may strength and desire be counterbalanced and the endeavors of man bear fruit."
Nikos Kazantzakis, The Rock Garden
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
12 pro men beat a doper who should have been banned for life. That's worth celebrating.

You are assuming no one ahead is/was a doper. Seems quite strange that for upteen years no one could crack 8 hours and now done multiple times to say nothing of all the people going under 810.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not doping. It was the same with 4 min mile and it'll be the same with the 2hr marathon. It's a psychological barrier. No need to cast nasturtions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s also technology. Swimskins (kind of), Trisuits (kind of), Bikes/cockpit/wheels/tires/tubes/helmet/wind tunnel (definitely), run shoe carbon fiber plates and magic foam (definitely), deeper field (ie, faster and deeper lead groups and thus better draft effect on swim and bike), smarter training plans (ie, not just hammering out thousands of hours until you break)

Could be pharmaceuticals obvi—eyes wide open—but the above could easily be the time difference alone in addition to the Bannister/Kipchoge (tbd on the latter) effect as mentioned
Last edited by: PedalNowNapL8r: Oct 13, 19 19:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim course was shortened two years ago. And the more recent start time means less time going into headwinds on the bike.
When they made those changes, people started riding a lot faster.
The bike times are faster as a result of less wind, but I think you see it more in the run. The pro men just aren't as beat up from the cycling conditions. Hence faster swims, bikes, and runs. Kind of silly to have a course record when it's a different course.
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
The swim course was shortened two years ago

Are you sure about that? It's a measured out and back isn't it? Seemed the same to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They changed the location of the turnaround buoy. It was the same buoy for all the previous years. (That's my understanding)
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure about that? It's a measured out and back isn't it? Seemed the same to me. //

I think it was 2016 or so that they moved in the turnaround, cut off about 220 meters from the course we had for the first 35+ years. So you all can do the math based on how fast you swim. Apparently the course was always a bit long, but it was consistent over all those years pretty much. Had a one ton concrete buoy anchor set all those years, and the beach doesnt change at dig me, so about as close as one could get to have a super consistent GPS course...
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of apples and oranges too . . . we used to exit on the other side of the pier also.

An interesting change is the start times. The pros can not get a bit further ahead of the afternoon headwinds, while at the same time us age groupers are further back and get more of the headwinds. Not really complaining (I am in favor of waves) but realistically it is a factor.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Non winning great Kona performances yesterday [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we used to exit on the other side of the pier also. //

And we used to start back on the beach, certainly a lot further in than the end of pier start now. Like I said, those two things basically balanced out each other, and the course was virtually the same line on the bottom of the ocean since 1981. That used to be my secret weapon for years, starting right on the pier by the beach, and getting sucked out in the little rip that formed there..
Quote Reply