Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non-carbon brake pad on Carbon rim?
Quote | Reply
I just bought a used set of Zipp 404s (carbon tubulars). I had been using aluminum clinchers. Zipp says I need to purchase carbon break pads with them.... is this absolutely necessary?

Also - aside from the coolness factor, any reason I shouldn't just use my Alex skewers with them instead of shelling out another $40 on Zipp Skewers?
Last edited by: mccheez: Mar 15, 05 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Non-carbon brake pad on Carbon rim? [mccheez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, the laminate will wear off if you dont.

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply
Re: Non-carbon brake pad on Carbon rim? [ironroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I buy the carbon pads can I use them wiith my training wheels or do I have to change them everytime to?

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a set used from a bike shop tech, who raced on them, that if you only use them for triathlon races, it isn't a problem to use std. pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the racing wheels are used only for racing and the bike course is non-technical( ie about 95% of triathlon bike courses), you can use regular brake pads. A triathlon bike leg is somewhat like a ITT. You should be using your brakes an absolute minimum. Depending on the course, I have done entire triathlon bike legs barely using my brakes.

Exceptions: If you are road racing or group riding with these wheels then, I would get the carbon break pads. Also if you are racing in the wet a great deal, I would get the special pads.

Hope this helps.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp used to say use any pad and suggested Campy Record or Dura Ace pads...then they started to re-brand Cool Stop pads to say Zipp on them...now you need their pads it seems.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Non-carbon brake pad on Carbon rim? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp told me that Cool Stop (Std Black Pads), Dura Ace carbon specific, or their own would all be fine.

The reason for changing out pads used with your training wheels is because small bits of aluminum can get caught in the pad and then start cutting into your carbon rim when you switch wheels. If you are using the slip in Dura Ace cartridge pads already, then this is really an easy swap. I do this weekly during race season, as I'm doing a weekly crit with my Zipps, and then back to the training wheels for the rest of the time.
Quote Reply